my 2nd trip to Asquith & Johnstone
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

my 2nd trip to Asquith & Johnstone

Well i took the car in again this morning to get the idle drop looked at (once again). The first tech had a look at it, he came back and said it was the idle stepper motor. I told him i changed it not too long ago, they looked at it and it still looked brand new. Then a second tech started to look at the car(an english dude). He hooked it back up to the diag 2000 and he took it for a test drive. He came back and said it definitely was the stepper motor, he told me it's something that needs calibrating after installation and since i did it myself,it was running out of spec and killed itself. He also said he had killed the o2 sensor, but he found there was a grounding problem with the 02 sensor. He replaced the o2 sensor and fixed the ground problem, replaced the stepper motor with a VDO unit instead of the philips unit they normally use because the VDO tends to be more reliable(and more expensive!). He told me to take him for a drive to see the problem has been fixed. And so far so good. I have only seen the odd rev drop, unlike before. But the car seems alot better now. The mechanic told me he was from the UK and he was brought here to aust because if his experience. I believe him too, he was honest about killing the o2 sensor, he knew where to look for the o2 grounding problem (on the ECU unit wiring) and he had an english accent. He also admitted there are alot of pug mechanics out there who don't have a clue. He also told me my purge valve was dead. He said when you take your foot off the throttle, the car should slowly rev back down so you get better throttle response when you dab on the gas again. He said this is something i can do myself, he even showed me where the purge valve was. This is another part which dies within a couple of years he said like the o2 sensor, the idle control valve. My car is dieing! well better now. This cost me $360, 1 hours labor. So far i've spent on the car making it run normally:

Advertisement

$666 for new front discs and back pads + labor
    $149 for stepper motor (my DIY job)
    $500 for 02 sensor and labor(first pug service)
    $360 for idle control valve and labor (2nd service)
    $110 for the purge valve

too much money!!

I tried fitting the purge vale today, i'm having doubts the parts guy gave me the right part. It's a sagem part with engine code number XUJ7P, the 1.8 ltr 16v with Sagem ECU!! i thought maybe they might be the same part but the replacement is a diff colour, smaller, and the hose fittings don't fit. I will ring the guy on moday! the excitement never ends with this damn thing!!

I also bumped into a guy with the same colour pug, same year and same model! its a blaze yellow colour which isn't that common. And this guy bought his car from melb, while i bought mine from qld, both of us live in sydney! how freaky. It's like i found my peugeot twin!

Just out of curiosity; when you walk through the door they don't tell you to bend over by any chance question eek! blush

The service manager doesn't make small talk about the boss living in the Bahamas? Don't notice any Ferraris parked in the yard? When talking to the grease monkey he doesn't confuse gear ratios with negative gearing? This is the same ones who charge out their mechanics time at $3960 per week? ($99 per hour)
    Brakes, based on UK prices = Front rotors around $A100 rear pads around $50 so lets say 100% mark up on UK prices that = $300 Another 3 hours to fit discs to front & pads to rear????
    Can I make a suggestion Pugsly? Get a Dairy Farmer to do the job. He's a professional at milking
    Get the Pug guys here to recommend someone else to do your work or you'll end up like so many others in the past; throwing your arms in the air & wishing you'd never heard of European cars. Most cars I've bought have come with the dreaded "service records" telling all sorts of tales of massive expenditure. Most have either never been done, have been half done, or didn't need doing in the first place.
    There are a lot of enthusiasts in the mould of David Cavanagh who is on this list at times, who can do a good job at a reasonable price and do what is necessary to keep your car going well without charging an arm & a leg. Unfortunately, Dave is in Melbourne but I have no doubt the Sydney guys can point you in the right direction. This lot you are now using sound like "cocktail party" mechanics; the ones the silver tails talk about over a glass of champers
    Straight up mate; your being shafted - no risk.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Fellow Frogger!
    well the brakes weren't done by asquith, they were done at esscargo, and the rotors were ebc, someone else here got them fitted too, ntrx maybe? I thought it was a bit costly, but i dind't have much choice, didn't want to get the pug parts.

the $500 and the $360 were asquith, 2 hours labor in there, so take away 220 and thats how much parts cost(#@[email protected]&* peugeot!). i'm prob getting ripped off, but i blame the first mechanic. I reckon my original o2 sensor was ok, just the grounding was dud so i should not have paid $350 or whatever it cost for the sensor! I do admint i am starting to get turned off the pug, and i do wish david was here in sydney! i went from a 90 model lancer with 250,000 kms and all i had to spend was on a new clutch and alternator, to a 98 306 with only 50000kms and look at what i've spent so far!!

i just want to sell this thing and get a mx5 or skyline, damn car

mmm. That sure is a lot of money on a nearly new car. I suspect you might have got the second hours labour free if you had pushed a bit harder, but at least you got the replacement O2 sensor (and stepper motor?) free.

I'd be trying P504 motors in Forestville next time around though. Let's hope there isn't a "next time" for quite a while!

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Fellow Frogger!
    i would like to try p504, but it's far from my place. If i had to leave the car there, it would be hard for me to get a ride back and a ride there to pick it up. Hopefully there will not be a next time!

Pugsley

You can get hire/loan cars from p504, in fact I got the year model after mine their as a loan car. That felt real bad!!

Usually a 505 or 604. $20 or something a day. Off the top of my head

Jono

Good luck for no next time...hehe

<small>[ 27 April 2002, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: crosspug ]</small>
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

Thread Information