What is it with 505's?
  • Register
  • Help

What is it with 505's?

I'm just curious but what is it with 505's in Oz?

Over here they are only found in scrap yards these day's. You may occasionally see the odd 505GTI on the road, but they are rarer than hens teeth!!

Please explain?!!

Advertisement
    106GTI - Road Legal Go-Kart!

Fellow Frogger!
    Hi, We tend to have quite a few older cars on the road over here.

There are still heaps of 505s and even quite a good number of 504s still running around. Pugs got a good name early here, durability in the rough. This has meant a huge following developed in the 70s and we formed "Peugeot Families".

You now find that whilst the olds may drive other newer cars the younger family members have been indoctrinated and have either inherited the older Pugs or sought out their own.

We all hope it keeps up!!

Incidently there was a recent rerun of a 50s rally called the Redex and there were approaching 70 Peugeots older than 1964 competing.

Cheers

Jim

Gus
    You guys get healthy doses of salt on your roads, right?

And there's the key... thanks Gus.

Corrosion of the body is the final killer of cars. Mechanical parts can be remachined, replaced or otherwise renewed, but bodywork is more expensive, more obviously flawed as a path to take.

We have our own corrosive problems here, but it's mainly from condensation inside box sections. This is what kills our cars. Some got nice protection when new, they're mostly still around.

Mark A:

Over here they are only found in scrap yards these day's. You may occasionally see the odd 505GTI on the road, but they are rarer than hens teeth!!

Please explain?!!
    Mark,

If you travel around a bit you'll find the UK and Europe are the odd ones out in that you have very few older cars compared to other countries. That's my experience anyway. I was shocked at how quickly cars get "old" when I was in the UK in 1987 and 1992. It was particularly depressing to see that alot of cars that were new when I was there in 87 were rusty heaps by 1992.

As Ray mentioned, salt on the roads in winter doesn't do cars any good.

If you travel to places with dry winter climates like inland Australia, south western USA, southern south America, Africa, etc etc, you'll be surprised to find that cars last ALOT longer than they do in the UK. Also engines, etc last better in places where they are driven 50km per day at 100km/h rather than short trips in city traffic.

You mentioed 505s, but there are also a similar amount of 504s still on Austrlian roads aswell, although alot of these are being bought up by African and Arab traders at the moment and being sent over to the mid eats, Nigeria, etc for new lives as Taxis or spares. This is infact one of the reasons why 505s and 504s are very rare in Europe at the moment. From the 1980s onwards traders started to buy them up cheap and ship them to Africa. The supply is now exhausted in Europe, hence they're turning their attention to Australia, the USA, etc. Africa and the mid east is FULL of 504s and 505s and infact new 504s are still in limited production in Nigeria, but they're not cheap, hence the demand for imports.

Dave

<small>[ 04 August 2003, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: davemcbean ]</small>
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

nJm
    One thing that always surprises me is the huge difference in resale values. You can still pay as much as $15,000 for a nice condition 405 out here, whereas you'd be hardpressed to get more than 900GBP right?

I remember I jumped on another peugeot forum (uk based) and they could not believe I had just bought a 1983 505 GR for the equivilent of 1610 GBP.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

One thing to also bear in mind is that the average age of cars in Australia is one of the highest in the developed world.

I had a look at a German used car site and the cars going in the low hundreds (EUR) looked really good.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Pug307:
    One thing to also bear in mind is that the average age of cars in Australia is one of the highest in the developed world.
    That's only because most other developed countries have alot of ice on the road in winter. Hence the use of corrosive rock salt. Australia just happens to have a very car friendly environment (apart from the beaches ).

My parent's 1996 Ford Mondeo is still like new and so is my sister's 1997 Honda Civic. In a more icy climate they'd be starting to be un-new by now.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

This article is from a New Zealand newspaper. Apparently this is now happening in the USA as well.

It pays to take a cab to Cairo
    05 August 2003
    By MATHEW LOH HO-SANG

"If you are holidaying in Egypt, rushing from central Cairo to the
    pyramids and then get a strong sense of deja vu from the cab you
    hail, don't worry, you could have been there before.

A Porirua wrecker has struck a deal to supply spare parts for Cairo
    taxis and he is buying as many old Peugeot 504s from around
    Wellington as he can find.

The cars are stripped down and shipped off to Egypt.

Porirua Tow and Salvage owner Mike McGinty said he got on to the
    global trade in "old French wrecks" when he met up with an Egyptian
    middleman who travelled to New Zealand about six months ago looking
    for parts.

"He came over looking for Peugeot 504s because that's the local taxi
    in Egypt."

Since then, Mr McGinty and his staff have been scouring the district –
    even knocking on doors to find owners of cars parked on suburban
    streets.

Mt Victoria's Bill Vella benefited when he sold his broken down 504
    for $100 last month. And the wreckers tried hard to buy his going 504
    as well.

"It's a bizarre world story . . . like taking coals to Newcastle," Mr
    Vella said.

"And it's kind of cool that the clapped out one will live on in
    Egyptian taxis.

"But actually if all the old parts go to Africa how will I keep my
    good one on the road?"

Mr McGinty will have at least 20 stripped down 504s to ship to Egypt
    in a few weeks.

"Over there only the really rich have modern cars. The bulk of
    population have to drive something they can repair and that's why the
    504s are so popular."

Everything that can be unbolted or dismantled is packed up and sent
    to Cairo.

"All the mechanical parts plus trim, doors, sun visors – basically
    everything is packed into the container and if we don't fill it we'll
    send up a few Japanese engines as well."

Mr McGinty makes several thousand dollars a container but said that
    the profits were marginal.

"With the costs of shipping there's not much in it but when you're
    making money you're making money and looking down the track at the
    big picture this could be the start of other bigger things."

So if you're cursing your luck when the old 504 fails its next
    warrant of fitness don't worry your nightmare could end up a Cairo
    cabby's dream."

This sounds very like large operation in Villawood Sydney which strips 504s, 505, Renault 12s and old Mercedes, packs them in containers and sends them to the middle east. I've been to their yard and they're a well organised operation. They've got an overhead crane in a large building, which they lift the cars with while a bunch of guys quickly strip them.

Dave

<small>[ 06 August 2003, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: davemcbean ]</small>
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

Saw their semi trailer that takes five cars at a time removing cars from the Bungendore 'farm' the other day, took a photo of it too...

I'll post it when I get it processed.

Mark A:

Please explain?!!
    As well as the earlier answers its worth remembering that peugeot were only selling the 505 out here for a period of time, with the 205 joining it in 1987. In the UK the small models predominated. Here it was a 505 or nothing for a while.

Australia had a long history with the bigger Peugeots. I saw far more 403's and 404's in Australia as a child than I ever saw in England (I went backwards and forwards a few times in the 50's and 60's).

Finally, of course, its hard to think of a better "car for Australian conditions" than a big Peugeot. Great suspension for long distance cruising on rough roads etc. The same sort of virtues that make them so popular in Africa, but not so relevant if you live in a country where the distance from one end of the land to the other is about the same as you might knock over before breakfast in Australia!

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Hi All!!

Thanks for your replies!

Yes it's true we do use grit & salt on our roads over the winter month's. It just means that we have to give them a good clean more often!!

As for buying a 405 over here, even an absolute mint example wouldn't cost much more than 1000, because it's an old model.

Part of the problem over here is that nearly all of the car dealer's run such attractive finance scheme's that people change their car's every 2 or 3 years.

For example even Jaguar are now doing a finance deal on their 3.0 V6 X-Type where you run it for 2 years to an agreed mileage limit & it cost's you 299 a month (AUS$708.63 based on the current exchange rate of 1 = AUS$2.37), then when the 2 years are up, you can hand it back, trade it in for another one or pay the GFV (Guarenteed Future Value - this is determined at the point of purchase dependant upon which mileage limit you choose) & own the car outright.
    106GTI - Road Legal Go-Kart!

Good old American marketing knowhow...

And money from Ford Credit.

Mark A:
    For example even Jaguar are now doing a finance deal on their 3.0 V6 X-Type where you run it for 2 years to an agreed mileage limit & it cost's you 299 a month (AUS$708.63 based on the current exchange rate of 1 = AUS$2.37), then when the 2 years are up, you can hand it back, trade it in for another one or pay the GFV (Guarenteed Future Value - this is determined at the point of purchase dependant upon which mileage limit you choose) & own the car outright.
    Mark,

Manufacturers like Ford have run similar schemes here, to the one you mentioned.

Such schemes are probably not as popular here, though, because new cars are cheaper here than in the UK. For instance, my parents bought their 2 litre Ford Mondeo new in 1996 for $26,000. At the time that was equivalent to about 9000 pounds. That would have only bought a 1.6 litre Mondeo in the UK, but then I guess the average wage is higher in the UK so you can afford your expensive cars

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    it's the insurance in England that is a killer especially for the younger drivers
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

In the July issue of the UK magazine "Thoroughbred and Classic Cars", on page 45, Martin Buckley writes a page about older Pugs and has a bit to say about 505s being stolen from the UK for a new life in Africa. I've read about this before, but it is interesting to see it get some attention in a UK classic car magazine.

Martin Buckley seems to have quite an affection for RWD Pugs especially considering the fact that he is a sub-40 year old living in the UK.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

Thread Information