505 STI rack rattles
  • Register
  • Help

505 STI rack rattles

Is it much of a drama to overhaul a power 505 rack? This on is a bit sloppy - rattly and vague.

Advertisement

You can talk to a prefessional rack rebuilding place, but my feeling is that it would be uneconomical.

The rack must be totally disassembled to replace the anti-rattle bush. Because of this nobody bothers and they drive around for years with a bad rattle. This abuse would cause excessive wear on the pinion and the centre of the rack, resulting in their common problem of vagueness.

This leaves three realistic choices:
    1.Buy a new rack and pinion (as far as I know they're still available)
    2.Buy a 604 rack, because these are not so prone to this because the anti-rattle bush is easy to replace. You will also need 604 tie-rods and probably a 604 lower column (see my thread entitled "WARNING 505/504/604 drivers!").
    3.Fit a manual rack and ditch the power steer as I did.

Dave

<small>[ 04 August 2003, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: davemcbean ]</small>
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Hmmm...
    Cant ditch the power because its my friends car and he has a wonky arm and wouldnt have the strength for manual steer. 604 bit sounds practical - anyone got a good 'un?
    Exactly how different is the actual rack b/w manual and power - given that the hydraulic ram is external?

Wonder how hard it would be to modify another model rack, eg from a 405 or something to fit? Must still be able to those in good nick.

<small>[ 04 August 2003, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: Haakon ]</small>

Haakon:

Exactly how different is the actual rack b/w manual and power - given that the hydraulic ram is external?
    The power racks have a directional control valve for the hydraulics mounted on the pinion shaft, so the pinion shaft is longer to fit this in. I don't think this could be mounted on the manual rack very easily.

The manual rack has a ratio of 22:2, whereas the power rack is 17:1, so the racks and pinions are totally different. In addition the power rack has a big attachment on the end of the rack for the ram to push on and it seems like it's pressed on.

The 604 rack is a more straight forward set-up with the ram just pushing on a bolt which goes through one of the old early 504 style rubber rack bushes, where the tie-rods attach.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Ah yes of course. Had I bothered to think about it....

You had a shot at replacing the anti rattle bushes (asuming the rack and pinion are not completely stuffed)?

<small>[ 04 August 2003, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Haakon ]</small>

Haakon:

You had a shot at replacing the anti rattle bushes (asuming the rack and pinion are not completely stuffed)?
    No I didn't because my rack was obviously beyond all hope.

You need to pull the pinion out, then remove the rack from its housing, in order to replace the bush. Being a Peugeot, you have those annoying dimple type locknuts on the pinion shaft.

Dave

<small>[ 04 August 2003, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: davemcbean ]</small>
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

I think pugrambo may have a 604 rack available... if not, then Norm Smith is an outside chance.

Thread Information