FRONT STRUTS 505 FAMILIALE 1985
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

FRONT STRUTS 505 FAMILIALE 1985

Some advice, please.
    One front strut has collapsed @ 181k km. Are there any preferred type/breed of struts that are 'just perfect' for the beast, or will Mr Pedder do a reasonable job anyway?
    I have been happy with the ride/handling compromise as it was - some Pedders units tend to be a little harsher than required, even their 'Comfort Gas' units.

Advertisement

Get a kit from a dealer and fix it yourself... very cheap if the shaft isn't damaged.

I'm with Ray. Peugeot are one of very few car makers who still make their own shockers etc. They do so for a reason. Simply put, they do it better!

I once replaced rear 180,000K old shocks on a 403B with a good quality '3rd party" brand. I put the old ones back on after 3000K. They simply work better on these cars. (I'm sure that there are exceptions if you are playing around with race track tuning etc etc, but for road cars the OE shockers / struts are just about unbeatable )

If the existing one is unrepairable, I'd find a good one S/H and only rebuild it if necessary. 300,000K out of Peugeot struts without a rebuild is far from unusual.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Trouble is, its very rare to find a 504 or 505 strut that still has its original internals. Most have long been replaced with cheap inserts (with the valuable original internals chucked in the bin). I've only ever pulled apart a couple of pairs of struts which still had the original internals (and one had a bent shaft, -hence the need to pull it apart). If you find a set of original internals-hang on to them.

If you can't find some original internals to rebuild, Aliquant shocks are supposed to be the next best thing. They are inserts and cost about $150 each I think from memory.

The cheap Gabriels work OK (especially if you only drive around town), but only last around 100,000km and you'd probably notice the downgrade in damping performance if you're one of the few who've been lucky enough to experience struts with the original internals.

KYB gas shocks are good value and probably better made than the average Monroe, etc, but I don't like the idea of gas pressurised struts, because they tend to die suddenly rather than gradually (which would be a bit disconcerting if you were half way round a bumpy corner).

Regards,
    Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Though I hesitate to say it out loud, my Familiale has Monroe gas inserts and seems to be okay with them. They've been in there a long time, too, though I don't know how long.

If I had my druthers, assuming a shortage of original equipment stuff, I would go for Konis. But original internals shouldn't be that hard to find.

Don't be fooled into putting heavier oil into them, either!

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    are bilstiens available for 504/505 front struts ?
    if so that would be the way i would be going
    i never really looked into it that hard when i had them
    i went the cheap way out and put konis in
    IMHO i feel that bilstiens are the best shock on the market
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Koni have that adjustability to make up for wear, which Bilsteins don't, but in addition to that, there is no gas pressure to alter your spring rate.

I never thought Konis were cheap, however, even though I do get a good discount on them.

Apparently they've either stopped making Konis for 504/505 struts or they've stopped importing them into Australia. If you look hard enough somebody may still have them in stock (although probably not in Sydney).

I wouldn't call Konis cheap either, but they're probably half the cost of Bilsteins.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

It would surprise me if Proven Products no longer import the inserts, as they have always had a policy of keeping anything that still sells, even if in small numbers.

And they will back-order, but Koni production programming used to be a nightmare, don't know if the computer age has improved it.

Then, perhaps, it may be that Koni no longer make the older stuff too... I'll ask Geoff, he might enlighten us.

Proven Products reckon Koni have stopped making them.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

Here is Geoffrey's reply... in short they have, with a little 'but...' in there:

"Sadly these old units have been officially dropped from the range. Oddly enough from time to time the factory makes things which are deleted lines.
    If a number of people wanted enough shocks to make a batch of any given part number happen (at least 100 units) I believe we could do it. Requires money up front though."

As you can see, their terms of trading haven't changed... but I can organise good discounts for anyone who does want Konis for anything.

Back in the 'old days' - the seventies (?) Koni would still make any part number they ever had made before. Guess they got tired of doing one-offs.

Thread Information