A Question about trouble with 309
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

A Question about trouble with 309

Loving my new 309, drives great etc. However today I went to start it in the afternoon after it'd been starting in the sun all day.

Advertisement

I turn'd it over, pumping the gas as I did in my old carby car, but it refused to turn over. Then I noticed this little sticker on the windscreen "ON hotstart, depress thorttle and start, do not pump" so I thought shit!, depressed it fully and tried again, no luck. Tried again 10mins later and no luck. Finally tried an hour later and it started fine.

Now I'm wondering if this is related to me pumping, and possibly flooding it, and needing time to "recooperate", or another problem all together with starting the car :/ ??

Any insight would be appreciated.

this sounds like the common hot start problem 205's, 309's and 405's experience.

i had many soliutionbs suggested to me, most common related to the fuelling, some thought the injectors were leaking, some said their was fuel vaporisation etc etc
    one day my starter died, had it replaced and have never suffered from the problem since.
    btw, i've got a 405 mi16, if i didnt floor the pedal when starting the car it wouldn't start, that then meant i had a 30 minute wait if i was lucky, if i floored it it would usually start.

Andreas

Fellow Frogger!
    Ok. Good to know I'm not alone in this problem. I guess in future i'll just floor it before starting in the heat.

Cheers for that.

Hey Louis,

This may be a little too late for you, but I've had my 205 for over 10 years, and I never touch the accelerator (whether hot or cold) until after it's fired - it always starts first time.

Might be worth trying with your 309 ?

cheers
    Mark

Fellow Frogger!
    Woah this topic again.

That is exactly what I have been doing for ages now

Just keep it turning till it fires, and as it does give it a TINY bit of throttle. Takes a bit longer to start but works everytime.

Cheers anyway.

Is the 309 carby or Fuel injected?? Not sure what specific model you have. Usually the injectors are dumping so much fuel under high pressure that it fires straight away. Both in an old 504 (crappy SOLEX carbs that were out of tune) and my Mi16, I have had no problem at all - never had to touch the 'go pedal' to fire them up.

A question for all - mainly 405 owners. On start up (hot or cold), the engine races to 1500-2000rpm and then drops back to idle (850rpm Hot - 1100rpm Cold, then drops to 850rpm when warmed up). Now I am always treating this Mi16 with great care and I am worried that this sudden rise in revs, especially when cold will cause a bit of harm to the camshaft bearings due to the lack of oil pressure.

Now is this revs surge part of the EFI start up procedure or if possible, I might get the ECU looked at to stop the Mi16 being so keen to go for a run............

Like they say, cold start-up is when most damage occurs. Due to the engine being tilted back towards the firewall, the rear camshaft lobes has some oil always to feed on as the oil sits at the their after draining down from the front camshaft. Has anyone had any trouble with this before???? Am using Mobil 1, 5W-50 so it is a fairly thin oil when coild which would help its travels to the top of the block and head.

Thanks again........
    'Gingerly' Stu
    "Take a Lion through a corner - FAST"

Current Fleet;
    2010 308 XSE HDi SW [Vapour Grey]
    2010 VW GOLF GTI [Carbon Steel Grey]

In the Family;
    2012 508 Allure HDi [Thorium Grey]
    2008 207 HDi XT [Bianca White]

Past "Frogs"
    2008 308 XSE HDi SW / 2006 307 XSE HDi Touring / 2001 306 XSi / 2005 206 GTi180 / 2005 407 HDi / 2003 206 XT / 1993 SII 405 Mi16 / 1990 205 GTi / 2x 1985 505 GTi S1 / 1976 504 / 1982 20 TS / 1997 306 XR / 1992 205 Si

Fellow Frogger!
    My 309 is carby.

On a few EFI cars, when cold the engine often revs quite high for a second then drops down, I guess it's like a choke, giving it some more fuel so it dosn't stall when really cold.

My car is idling at about 1100rpm when hot in traffic so I think I should turn the idle screw down to about 850rpm.

Thread Information