307 Auto g/box
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 307 Auto g/box

Tadpole

307 Auto g/box

The new 307 Auto gearbox is advertised as a
    "Tiptronic by Porsche" and features " sequebtial or autoactive modes" according to the sales literature. Just the thing for those quick Sunday morning punts through your favourite set of swervy bits. Cheers, Pete, Sydney.

Advertisement

rek
    Yeah, Peugeot have licensed Porsche's system (like Mitsubishi, VW/Audi, etc. have done), and I guess from that they're allowed to use the "Tiptronic" trademark.

as for swervy bits though, I think i'll take the three pedals and h-box myself

on a side note I noticed Regan's in Balwyn (Vic) have a black 206CC (VERY nice looking!) and a couple of 307s about. Might have to pester them a bit one day..

I also saw a light blue 607 on the road right nearby, I guess they also have a few early-pickings of those?
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

Tadpole
    Rek, Same here for the twisties. With all this new technology appearing (drive by wire throttles, brakes that know more than the driver does etc) I can't help spotting a disturbing trend here.
    Does this mean the car of the future will start it self, shift it's own gears, do it's own braking and then send you an email telling you you had a great time on the Sunday mornings?
    Cheers, Pete, Sydney.

Fellow Frogger!
    The only clutchless manual box I would touch is Ferrari F1 setup, Aston Martin setup, BMW SMG II, etc, only real manual gearboxes with a electro-hydraulic clutch actuator.

The Automatic, with manual override boxes (eg Porsche Tiptronic) are furstratingly slow to change :/)

So yeah, H-Pattern+Clutch for life!

1000+ Posts
    Louis,

Have you driven a Porsche Tiptronic equipped car?

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!
    I have driven cars iwth lisenced g/boxes cars, but not an actual Porsche with it, but even magazine reviewers state it's not as quick as a manual to change.

1000+ Posts
    The reason I ask is that you said frustratingly.

As an aside, in F1, they were allowed a MAXIMUM of 200 milliseconds to change gear, before traction control was legalised. Believe it or not. The reason for this is that if they could control gear change times to make them longer, it would be a legal form of traction control. In fact, the illegal traction control issue around Ferrari last year was because they got their changes down to 30 MILLISECONDS, and they had 170 milliseconds to play with, where the car could be 'between gearchanges'and therefore not driving the wheels. Amazing stuff.

Stuey

[ 09 December 2001: Message edited by: Stuey ]</p>

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Tadpole
    Speaking of "tiptronic" type gearshifts the MGF has a sort of similar set up with two buttons on the wheel (where the drivers thumbs naturally fall) for changing up or down.The weird bit is it is a CVT with programmed shift points to make it feel like a manual. Leaving the 'box to it's own devices the car is certainly quick enough but feels somewhat disconnected as the revs rise and fall but the road speed doesn't. If you have ever driven a car with a totally shot auto transmission you will know the feeling. The revs go up as you press the "go" pedal and flatten off as you ease up but the car speed keeps rising until the both are matched. Clever? Certainly. Different? Definitely. Desirable? Not by me. I really cannot see the point. Either buy an auto or buy a manusl those that try and do both really don't seem to do either well enough.
    BTW the Porsche with Tiptronic is awesome. Having driven one and it's immitators I can't help get the feeling Porsche licence a facimilie of thier box but not the real thing. Cheers, Pete.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Guys!

you simply need to get yourself an old 'D'. Hydraulic rams control the clutch release, and gbox selectors. It's a fully manual, but no clutch & just a tiny lever to change gears with (lets not mention the biggest motor it's available with is a 142hp 4cylinder, that might put you rev heads off )

This is such new technology Citroen had it back in 1955 :p

seeya,
    Shane L.

[ 12 December 2001: Message edited by: DoubleChevron ]</p>
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thread Information