Peugeot 206GTi-180 test drive.
  • Register
  • Help
    XTC

Peugeot 206GTi-180 test drive.

A write-up by one of our British friends on the new GTi-180, lucky [email protected] has actually driven one cry - All sounds good

Well here you have it boys and girls, yesterday lunch time I took a Peugeot 206 GTi180 for a test drive around North London.

Advertisement

The car itself only had 80 miles on the clock when I got in, and I was the 2nd customer to test drive (apart from the guys who work at Pug!)

First looks clearly mark this car different from other 206s. It was in the Blue we have come to love on the 206 CC and limited edition 206 and only available now in the CC and 180 Models. Up close the curves were extended by flared wheel arches, lower than the 206 GTi138 and with a lovely tail sporting 2 chrome exhausts and a spoiler. But hey, you already knew that.

Some of you who regularly read these posts will be aware that I am looking to change cars, and have driven the Honda Civic Type R several times. Each time I grew to love the car more and be able to handle it’s much larger and somewhat sturdier frame. 197bhp in a 2ltr engine is a lot to beat!

However, Peugeot have done it. The 180bhp may seem a little less powerful, but the fact that you get a standard burst at around 2000 rpm and then the 2nd cam at 6000 means you still get the 2nd push the i-VTEC engine would give you. The best thing is at 14,995 + 300 for metallic paint, you get more of a car.

The Air con is standard, the 6 cd player is there, the alloy gear knob, the allow petrol cap and all the other extended features for less than the base price of a Type R without A/C.

But, and I feel this needs an extra paragraph to itself, those seats! One word can only be used to describe them – WOW. The moment you sit in them you feel sucked into the car. Wide yet firm and nice to sit in, you feel even more part of the car. You can still open the window up and rest your elbow on the frame (something that is uncomfortable in the Type R) and cruise along nicely. If, like most, you have more than 1 friend, there is going to be a fight – who sits in the front seat, and who gets in the back. Mind you, I did sit in the back, and the 2 seats are comfortably moulded.

As for driving – well I have never driven a GTi138 before, and stepping into the 180 from my 1.4GLX is a dream. The clutch is light and forgiving; you can sit at traffic lights and then move off nice and quick. Gear changes can be done smoothly or by slamming it in, and it reacts according to the aggressiveness of your driving. 85mph in 3rd is more than possible and the engine roars in approval. Playing with the gears is fun and quick, and the changing up and down is often a lot smoother than I have experienced before.

Traction control is a wonder to behold. Going around a roundabout at 40mph is dangerous, don’t let me say otherwise, but the traction control keeps the back end nicely in shape. Turn it off and you slide, and boy do you slide!

Most of the other stuff you have read about, in fact we have all read about. For those of you in the UK, phone your dealership now! Those in Oz, Denmark, Holland etc, I don’t know when they are available.

Fortunately I hadn’t placed my order for the Type R, I am now off to my Peugeot garage to place an order for the GTi180 – which I should get in mid/end September.

Photos will be available in a few days.

(write-up used without permission whip )

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

XTC206:
    [i]
    Traction control is a wonder to behold. Going around a roundabout at 40mph is dangerous, don’t let me say otherwise, but the traction control keeps the back end nicely in shape. Turn it off and you slide, and boy do you slide!

- XTC206 -
    I thought traction control was only applied to the front (driven) wheels to keep them from spinning.......don't see how this could make a whole lot of differnce to the rear end

yeah i'd love to know how that works.
    205 GTi (S2 ) rolled

'96 306XR "Sex" Black

XTC
    DTwo:
    I thought traction control was only applied to the front (driven) wheels to keep them from spinning.......don't see how this could make a whole lot of differnce to the rear end
    He probably means ESP .. which will brake the appropriate wheels (including the rear) to help maintain control of the car.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

DTwo:
    XTC206:
    [i]

- XTC206 -
    As said earlier - it's got ESP - an electronic stability program.

Standard traction control is a fairly simplistic system - all it does is slow down the driving wheels, so that they don't break traction and the power goes onto the road.

Stability control systems are a different kettle of fish - it's about improving stability of the car, not just about getting traction down to the road. So this inhibits to some degree sliding and is supposed to be very noticeable on very slippery surfaces, such as ice & snow. It's more advanced than mere traction control - you need to have yaw sensors and steering position sensors for a start - ie. the sensors match your intended direction (as commanded via your steering input) versus the actual direction the car is heading in.

Then you have rollover protection systems, which induce momentary understeer to prevent the vehicle from rolling over. Sometimes understeer can actually be good for you

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Cal
    I would love to take one for a spin. I saw one at Goodwood last month. They certainly look the business.

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

XTC
    Cal:
    I would love to take one for a spin. I saw one at Goodwood last month. They certainly look the business. Cal.
    I'd love to be able to justify trading my 11 month old GTi .... for a 180. cry

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Thread Information