504 door guts rattles...
  • Register
  • Help

504 door guts rattles...

Anyone know how to fix door rattles in front RH and LH doors?

There is a permanent rattle near the door lock on the drivers side that is very annoying.

Advertisement

Ray, PuggyRambo - you guys should know...?

ipb

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    either the door lock is loose or you have the linkages for the door handles are loose

to fix the door lock check the staple is secured correctly as this is the only thing that holds it in place
    for the linkages place foam on the door frame where they pass by and put a slight bend in them to tighten them up
    this is also a good idea if the inside door handle has to be moved a fair way before it takes up to open the door

hope this helps
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

ipb205:
    Anyone know how to fix door rattles in front RH and LH doors?

There is a permanent rattle near the door lock on the drivers side that is very annoying.

Ray, PuggyRambo - you guys should know...?

ipb
    I presume that your door is closing properly.

Have you removed the door trim to see if you can still hear it? Does the door rattle when the window is wound right up hard? If not, then it is likely your winder mechanism.

There are not many components in a 504 door - the lock, latch, window winder, bailey channel, and glass.

The glass sits in a kind of pressed steel rail, with a rubber insert. The rails rust badly and bits fall off them, so you may find that either the bits are sitting in the bottom of the door rattling, or the glass is loose due to the rail disintegrating, and it is rattling against something.

Another thing which happens is a section of the bailey channel can rust at the bottom, where it bolts to the door, and come loose.

Finally, if your window winder is worn, it may rattle somewhere, but it shouldn't rattle when it is wound right up hard, for obvious reasons.

Good luck! I hate rattles!

Cheers,
    John Lane.
    Current: 406 Coupe, 504 Sedan

Previous: 306XSi, 205GTi, 206Gti, 505 V6, 505 Wagon, 504 Sedan, 504 Wagon, 306Gti6, 306XT, 205Si, Citroen XM, Citroen Xantia

pugrambo:
    either the door lock is loose or you have the linkages for the door handles are loose

hope this helps
    Didn't see this when I posted my response. I agree - the links from the inside door handle to the latch are an obvious one! I think from memory they had a piece of soft foam glued to the steel of the door about half way along, behind the link wire. It seems to disappear over time.

Regards,
    John Lane.
    Current: 406 Coupe, 504 Sedan

Previous: 306XSi, 205GTi, 206Gti, 505 V6, 505 Wagon, 504 Sedan, 504 Wagon, 306Gti6, 306XT, 205Si, Citroen XM, Citroen Xantia

ipb[/qb][/QUOTE]I presume that your door is closing properly.

The glass sits in a kind of pressed steel rail, with a rubber insert. The rails rust badly and Another thing which happens is a section of the bailey channel can rust at the bottom, where it bolts to the door, and come loose.

Good luck! I hate rattles!

Cheers,
    John Lane.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Rust ? What's that? I live in Canberra!
    The car does have 1 spot actually just under the window trim along the glass of a rear door.
    Apart from that it is in one piece.

Thanks for the tips, I'll have a look on the weekend.

See you all at the Sydney FCD - Fluoro Green French import 504 sedan with 505GTi mags and tinted glass. (Ray Bell 5 speed now in service).

Ian

Thread Information