Removal of Rear Seats, 505..
  • Register
  • Help

Removal of Rear Seats, 505..

hi all..

yeah im slowly going insane trying to work out what is just playing up with my stereo..

Turn the head unit on .. and POP... power to head unit remains on.... but a pop is all i get out of the speakers..

Advertisement

So im presuming the speaker wire(s) are shorting out on the way to the partial shelf where they be situated somewhere.. but trying to get at them has proved to be the biggest pain in the arse yet..

Also... if one speaker was shorting out.. it would'nt casue the other would to now would it.. Becasue they both aint working... So unless in a bizare twist of fate, there are actaully shorting each other out.. it has to be somewhere up in the head unit .. :S:S:

either way..

Just how do i remove the back seets to get at those plastic trims up under which the speaker wire doth be resting..?

..i have a lovly fresh new rear seet to go in anyway, so the knowledge will not be wasted..

hopelessly and ignorantly yours for the slaughter..

bowie wink

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

nJm
    They just unclip. Might take a lot of effort if it hasn't been done in a while. The backrest you sort of pull up and out. I haven't done it for a while, but that's how I did it. Do you have a Haynes manual? I'll go check my car now to see if I can remind myself how to get the bottom bit out.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

nJm
    The actual 'seat' bit on my rear seat isn't attached to anything on the corners, so you can lift them up enough to get access to the sill/wiring bit covered in plastic.

The haynes manual just says
    -----------
    Rear Seats
    -----------
    Press the rear seat cushion down and rearwards to disengage it from the central mounting bracket, then lift forwards.
    Bend up the tabs retaining the bottom of the backrest, then lift the backrest from the uppose hooks.

does that help??

If you just want access to that wiring bit, take off the plastic shroud over the front seatbelt down the bottom of the B pillar (2 philips screws), and you should be able to pull it up. Then it is just a matter of working out whereabouts the speaker wires go into the boot (I stuck mine through a hole half way up the back seat - my car didn't come from the factory with rear speakers).

Best of luck!

Remember, as with all Haynes instructions, if it doesn't work use a mallet and plenty of force roll_lau .
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

you champion...

thast exactly what i needed.. lol

yeah mine didnt come from the factroy with spearkers in the rear eitehr actually.. bit of a backyard.. job.. hense why its not working now.. wink

Remember, as with all Haynes instructions, if it doesn't work use a mallet and plenty of force .

Thanks for going out and checking that to mate.. wink

Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40

nJm
    Glad I could help.

Yeah, when I installed my rear ones last year (just a set of 4" kenwoods), when I cut out the chipboard covering the holes the board splintered and cracked, so trying to screw the speakers into something got quite difficult when all that is left is some old carpet and hard steel!

I need to replace the front speaker wire on mine, the driver's side speaker buzzes and cuts of all the time. Don't ya just love pulling the headunit out mallet
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

oh AMEN!!!!

I HAVE SOUND AGAIN !!!!

the wire was actually wedged in between the clip undernreath the door trim on the back seat..

That plastic clip that holds the door trim to the car...

Somehow or other the speaker wire had gotten in that actualy clip.. and the pressue and teh shap metalic edges actualy pierced the wire so it was shorting out on the chasis..

HORAY TAHST DAM WELL OVER!!!

I HAVE MUSIC AGAIN !!!!!

Thank you so very much .. !!!

now.. where did i put those 6" be 9"'s
    head_ban

In my 505, I cut a piece of 25mm Craftwood/MDF to the same shape as the parcel shelf, with two holes in it for the 150mm speakers, then I screwed it to the underside of the parcel shelf. I then screwed the 3 way speakers to the underside of the Craftwood. The 25mm thickness allows the speakers to sit entirely under the parcel shelf without the tweeters hitting the carpet.

I just left the carpet intact, but pushed out the perferated sections of masonite where the speaker holes are. This gave me back speakers which are hidden and protected from the sun, but work just as well as if I'd butchered the parcel shelf and the carpet.

I did a similar thing with the front speakers (managed to fit a nice pair of 165mm Phillips 3 way speakers behind the plastic panels without have to cut them at all). I just used two different sizes of Craftwood to solidly screw the front speakers to the steel, so that they sit at the same angle as the plastic panels, with enough clearance for the tweeters.

I certainly have no more problems with a vibrating parcel shelf or front speaker panels. It's totally rock solid, so that the only sound you hear is what's coming out of the speakers.

It's not a high performance sound system by any means, but it has a better sound than most stock stereos fitted to sub $30,000 new cars, and the speakers are totally hidden from view. Pretty good for $200 worth of speakers and a $140 Pioneer radio.

Dave

<small>[ 16 June 2003, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: davemcbean ]</small>
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Don't ya just love pulling the headunit out
    haha yeah.. i actualy havnet put mine back in yet... whistle

i pulled it out about a month ago.. trying to find teh problem up that end.. never got around to screwing it back in roll_lau

i just went laxy when i fitted my 3 way 6" speakers on the parcel shelf.. Just stuck them on risers.. dance

did the job.. wish they were counter sunk tho..

... one day...

nJm
    davemcbean:
    It's not a high performance sound system by any means, but it has a better sound than most stock stereos fitted to sub $30,000 new cars, and the speakers are totally hidden from view. Pretty good for $200 worth of speakers and a $140 Pioneer radio.

Dave
    Same. All I have is 4x new 4" speakers (so factory 505 size, cost $40 per pair) and a $240 Pioneer CD/Radio. It only puts out 45w per channel, but that is more than enough. Minus the buzzes from the front driver's speaker, it sounds vastly superior to most factory setups.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Just a quick word of caution. Be careful when re-installing those side plastic sill trims over the various wires. Its possible to damage the wiring insulation when re-installing them, and cause a short. I discovered this shortly after getting my last sLi wagon. Someone (probably whoever had installed the rear speakers in it) ) had re-installed the trim badly and the wiring eventually shorted.

It was the smoke that gave it away. Quite unnerving when you are driving along a busy road! So make sure any wiring (new or old) is routed properly and not getting pinched by the clips.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Thread Information