carbon fibre bonnets for 205
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

carbon fibre bonnets for 205

Hi guys, as i'm getting one made next week is there any interest out there for a group buy...the more there is the less the cost. Please dont ask me how much as i wont know until i get the total numbers interested. Once i have the numbers [if any] i can then barter for a price.

Advertisement

cheers jr
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

Fellow Frogger!
    Don't have a 205 yet but that's one of the mods I'll do WHEN I get one wink Just tell me how much when you find out. who's doing it? Can you not make one up yourself or is this a bit like painting your house yourself - the finished product'll be a bit bodgy...?

Cheers,

Chris

jr.

Do you have any idea of a ballpark figure?

Like, are you talking $500 or $2500?

JR, I might be interested. I guess it would come down to weight saving and rough cost.

Are you after it from a weight or looks perspective?

Cheers
    Steve
    Renault Clio F1R27 road car and Supercharged Lotus Elise track car

Just a quick Q, I've seen "carbon fibre" bonnets at auto salons, are they real carbon fibre or faux carbon fibre?

Just some of the ones I have seen look a fair bit different from the carbon fibre stuff they make GP car cladding from, more like carbon fibre effect fibreglass.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Hey jr...

R u gonna get the ones with the bulge in the bonnet (circa 92) coz if u r i'm in.

1000+ Posts
    Firstly guys, i'm doing it personally on a save weight basis...the added spoofy good looks are a bonus!! My own bonnet will have the Si's power bulge in it [took the piccies the other day of an SI in a caryard] as well as a vent [position to be decided]
    However before making my one off jobbie i was going to get him to make just some straight normal 205 gti ones as everyone wont want my specs
    i imagine. Also by having a myriad of styles the price will only go one way.UP!! So the choice is simple...my type of bonnet [which you may not like] or the normal gti one. Make no mistake these are in proper carbon fibre,double skinned ala aircraft style. Very strong and light and can be painted if you prefer. b4 a cost can be done i need SERIOUS interested ppl to get the numbers on a tentative basis. over to you guys!! cheers jr
    jr20516v

Now:

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

JR is the SI bonnet you're talking about similar to the auto-bonnet with the power bulge - oh behave I don't think the standard bonnet would fit properly with my current Mi16 and TBs.

In chatting with the guys in the UK they didn't seem to get much weight saving from fibreglass bonnets but were replacing doors and rear hatches.

Look forward to hearing price and anticipated weight saving. We had a look under my car today and found the aircon compressor, which has long been disconnected - guess what's next into the parts bin!

Cheers
    Steve

1000+ Posts
    Yes m8, the auto bonnet [UK terminology] is the same as our 205 SI 1.6 litre bonnet.
    Thats ironic about your bonnet unable to fit due to mi16 and tb's as i now have that set up and dont have a problem. Is it your strut brace thats doing it? some will!! I wish E-Tech would make those spiffy strut braces for our 205's [theyre
    flat, shiny and have holes along its length]
    unfort. they have them for Saxo's etc.

cheers jr
    jr20516v

Now:

Fellow Frogger!
    jr,

The SI bonnet with a vent sounds like the perfect one. How much of a weight saving is it? Are both the mods simply for looks (vent and SI)?

Cheers,

Chris

1000+ Posts
    The SI bulge is for looks and to give a touch more room in the engine bay, the vent is to remove heat which 16v 205's are reknown for. The vent will be positioned at the rear of the bonnet
    ala 206 style for maximum cooling.
    In my first post i mentioned "dont ask me how much they'll be" as i just need INTERESTED peoples to put in a offer of interest and then from this i would get the best price i could with some bartering power...the more the interest the less the price so to speak. So what happens..ppl ask how much it will be????? Which comes first, the horse or the cart. Me tinks i'll maybe just do my own thing, its much more simpler. Tried to help tho. [it doesnt worry me as mine is gratis
    anyways] my 2c's worth.
    cheers jr
    jr20516v

Now:

The reason I asked is that I'm not "interested" if its gonna cost a bomb but would be "interested" if its gonna be cheap.

I think this applies to most people.

My 2_cents 2_cents 2_cents 2_cents

I am interest JR
    90 205 Gti Cherry Red(Track Car)
    2009 207gti
    1985 505gti (Shitbox Rally) Sold

PBs:

Oran Park: 1:27:9
    Wakefield: 1:05.6 (July 2015)
    Eastern Creek: 1:47 (16V) 2019
    Mt Huntley: 34.44 (2004 stock 205)
    Ringwood: 35.06 (30/10/2005)
    Winton: 1:33.6 (2017)

I'd like to know a rough price before I commit. If all the other Sydney supersprint drivers get one, I guess I'll be forced into it anyway.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Likewise, certainly interested if the price was right

Cheers
    Steve

Hmmm Carbon Fibre awwww. tongue

I heard that goverments are trying to ban them due to the fact that the bonnet would "snap" as a oppose to "crumple" like ordinary bonnets deal .

anyway lots of people are asking what these things cost, my cousin just got a carbon fibre bonnet for his skyline cost him $1500. I know that for lot of Jap cars these bonnets are made quite frequently and cost in around $1000-$1800. I'd imagine that a custom bonnet would cost more than this, if you ask me though looking at these bonnets they are very cool and well worth it.

Thats my 2cents worth 2_cents

JR

I have to echo the sentiments of the others my decision would be driven by price as I too will have the mi under the bonnet and could use the room and reduced heat via the vents. Will the bonnet have vents for a cold air box?

So I guess count me in if the price is reasonable

Neil
    cheers!
    205GTI/Mi16
    Tony Sprint Kart

Did anything ever happen about the 205 carbon fibre bonnets?
    They'd be great

Cheers
    -- DJ

1000+ Posts

It didnt go any further as i got too many stoopid questions asked of me and it started to get a little wearing. i needed to know the rough numbers interested so i could get an approx price from the manufacturer...obviously they would be heaps cheaper the more we got HOWEVER i kept on getting asked"how much will it cost and i MIGHT be interested type stuff" All i needed at the time was APPROX. numbers so i could barter down a good price and then tell everyone
    on Aussiefrogs...sort of ..which comes first the horse or the cart stuff !!

Anyway if you want to go further give Jason a phone on 0403 575 555 as he has the 205 mould from my car ready to go. He does a great job, he does all the carbon fibre stuff for the v8 supercars etc.

cheers jr
    jr20516v

Now:

Ah, fair enough

Would you have some pics of your finished bonnet?
    How much did it cost in the end (if you don't mind)?

Ta.
    -- DJ

Tadpole

Default engine hoods

Well why dont you just tell him you want 20 and get a bloody price !
    Then ask how much for 40. I work for an OEM and this is how we do it, it's called projected sales, I am sure if you've got a bunch of really nice carbon hoods sitting around they'd sell. Why not fund it yourself and make some cash.. Get onto MS excel and play around with the figures.. No one is going to commit without a price, that's just silly, the guy has to give you a price before he makes them, otherwise get onto the professional suppliers for a quote. They will break it down according to the production run, and timeframe.

Like everyone else I'll take one if the price is right..

1000+ Posts

Steve205,
    REALWORLD; 50 ppl. say they want a bonnet...5 end up buying!!

"why dont you just tell him you want 20 and GET A BLOODY PRICE!!...arrogance!
    REALWORLD: For 20 he would say..$800 each, i then take orders and i get say....4 ... what happens then guru?? price goes up and the 4 drop out..
    you're a genius man!! you obviously have never been involved in group buys b4??

PROJECTED SALES!! ......this is not BHP you pompous git!!

"Get onto MS and play with the figures"......you may need to however i'd just use a calculator with the HUGE numbers involved. LOL

"no one is going to commit without a price" I wasnt after a committment just an approximate tentative interest order so as to go the next step if warranted.

"Like everyone else i'll take one if the price is right"
    You and your arrogant manner would ensure you would be the last person on earth to get the benefit of my hard work on a group buy!!!
    jr20516v

Now:

Tadpole

Icon4 hoods

whoa settle down !

Get a price for 1,2,3,4,5 or 20, or 40.
    Tell the people who might be interested the price.
    If they're still interested get the deposit.
    Get parts made.
    If they're not interested don't do it.

Thread Information