Price for 205 GTi
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Tadpole

Default Price for 205 GTi

I am selling my 205 GTi. I don't have much use for it as it is not practical for kids and home maintenance/improvement projects.

I have the RWC I am getting a photo soon but how much is a sensible asking price?

I am serious about selling it this month but don't want to rip myself off.

I see some adds at very high prices but I suspect those people are just fishing.

It's June 1993 built (series 3) 145,000k white in excellent condition.

Advertisement

Any comments or previous threads on this?

Thanks

Mark in Melbourne

hi...
    WELCOME to the forum....

My advice is to be honest with yourself.....ie. You d know exactly the condition of the car and you have to appriciate the excercise from buyers point of view....
    What would you PAY for it if you were buying it now??.....As long as your thinking is sensible and not greedy...you should come up with a sensible price.....
    It sounds like a good car but demand for 205s flactuates and if you get the right buyer you should do well....at other times, I think people have undersold their gti but thats life.....somebody s always going to benefit when it comes to the 205 gti....

My estimate would be in the 10K-12K...might be worth more....or less.....Just depends on condition....and how quickly u want to sell...Study the market and be sensible.....

cheers

and good luck

dino

my only peice of advice, is to consider what else is available in that price range, and wat else people could look at for the same price.

I think, and this is personal opinion only, that a 205 won't apeal to a large market at $10 to $12k.

Now i'm not saying that it isn't worth that, but i think you will have to wait for some one who wants a 205, as just looking at peugeots in that price range there will be a lot of newer 306's available, and even S16's.

i would list it at the price dino sugested, but i would be prepared to wait for the right buyer.

there have been threads on this sort of thing before, but most end up with shall we say, a lot of disagrement

I agree with the above post. I would think at those Kms and if its in good nick 10 to 12k is the right price, but dont expect 100s of phone calls. If you wait i think youll get the right buyer sooner or later.

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Fellow Frogger!

If you get the right buyer (and the car is as good as it sounds) then the 10-11k range is possible. But there are few such buyers so you either need a bit of luck (i.e. the right person is looking at the right time) or you need to be prepared to wait for that buyer to come along.
    unfrogged (for now)

Tadpole

In other words, someone like I will be in 6 months.

I will have had 6 months with no car, bouncing around in rental cars when I do but lots and lots of cash. I'll see your lovely car, my wife will say, 'You loved your old one, I loved your old one, our *son* loved your old one, get it.'

Pity it's six months away!

Good luck.

(cue shameless plug)

And anyone in the $4800-$5500 range, check out the thread where I've put my 88 GTI up for sale...

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    my only peice of advice, is to consider what else is available in that price range, and wat else people could look at for the same price.

I think, and this is personal opinion only, that a 205 won't apeal to a large market at $10 to $12k.

Now i'm not saying that it isn't worth that, but i think you will have to wait for some one who wants a 205, as just looking at peugeots in that price range there will be a lot of newer 306's available, and even S16's.

i would list it at the price dino sugested, but i would be prepared to wait for the right buyer.

there have been threads on this sort of thing before, but most end up with shall we say, a lot of disagrement

This is a series three (power steering, rear discs 90kw engine, 15 inch wheels etc) and hence worth far more than the run of the mill car you see advertised.
    Graham

Fellow Frogger!

Isn't that the point? Just about every car in that price range will be power steered and is likely to have rear discs.

As orestes says, S16s are in that vicinity, and in terms of design the 205 is a lot older.

Someone spending $12k isn't going to be overly impressed simply because it has rear discs, PAS and 15" wheels. You have to look at the overall second hand car market as orestes says.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    Isn't that the point? Just about every car in that price range will be power steered and is likely to have rear discs.

As orestes says, S16s are in that vicinity, and in terms of design the 205 is a lot older.

Someone spending $12k isn't going to be overly impressed simply because it has rear discs, PAS and 15" wheels. You have to look at the overall second hand car market as orestes says.
    The 205 is like no other car, it has no competition.
    You either want one or you don't. I think the prices will begin to rise as they become scarcer. 203s and to some extent 404s have the same cult status.
    Graham

ohhhh...I don t know....(sorry orestes/louis)...

lets see....One is selling a 12K 205 gti s3 .....and some dude/dudess comes to have a look at it...and after he or she admits that the car is excellent they go out on a limb and say: "its overpriced...why....because you can get a hyndai accent at 13 999 driveway...." or "But Dino is selling his s16 for 10K"......

Mark asked about a 205GTi s3...not about a restored torana or an r8 gordini or a fuego or a etc etc....YOU CAN NOT PUT A PRICE on one vehicle based what one can by a new C3 for or what an early Discovery is worth....

People wanting to buy a Gti are "usually" after a gti...hell to some even the difference between series is important....an eg...series 1mi16 vs later models....

I understand the issues you guys bring up...but we are straying from topic at hand.....ie.price of 205gti s3 and nothing else....

205Gtis are a very unique vehicle and although other pugs might have some of its genes they are still quite different machines........Imagine at this way....:

FOR SALE:
    205 Gti S3 great condition
    No but we have a great S16, trust "us" thats the car you are after...you don t want the gti....

Doesnt make sense does it....personally if somebody came in and than told me I could by an s16 or a bloody ferrari for that money....I d tell them to go ahead and do so....Why turn up or inquire aabout the car in the first place IF they could do this or that....

cheers

dino

ps...graham.....you beat me to it.... yes you are absolutely right...205 is unique...otherwise its pricing would long ago be matching those of pulsars and astras of the era.....strange,some of the commentary, considering even the non french car fans are "aware" of its significance......ie wther its got rear discs or not is tottally irellevant....overall "genuine" condition is though....
    Last edited by dino; 2nd February 2005 at 02:50 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Hmm I found your post a little hard to understand Dino, but anyway.

I have no doubt the 205 GTi is a very special, unique car. We all love and appreciate how it is a wonderful thing but it is important not to lose sight of the fact that in the marketplace it is a 12 year old+ mass produced hatchback.

It is still governed by the factors that dictate the second hand car market. You mention we are straying from the topic at hand, the price of a 205 GTi, call me crazy but the price of a 205 GTi is governed by the nature of the present second hand car market.

We all like to think our Peugeots are worth a lot, and in some cases they are but we have to be realistic and accept that it is a relative market. Ultimately I think the only way for some people to learn is in the gradual time it takes for them to lower their price to a realistic amount. I just think that sometimes people sit here and have a slightly inflated view of what our cars are worth.

and in some cases they are but we have to be realistic and accept that it is a relative market.

Yes...and in the case of the 205gti s3...its price will be relative to the price of OTHER 205gti series 1 2 and 3 cars.....Price of a gti has nothing to do with the price of a 12 year old hyndai or even a honda crx or a suzuki gti......
    Mind you,...you are in NZ...and your pricing is CONSIDERABLY different to AUS (maybe because the enthusiasts are pricing them relatively rather than on their own merit)...just have a quick read of the mi16X4 thread....

cheers

dino

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    ...in the marketplace it is a 12 year old+ mass produced hatchback.

It is still governed by the factors that dictate the second hand car market...
    Wrong. It's not just a mass-produced hatchback. The 205 GTi is more than the sum of its parts, it a classic, a cult car. It doesn't compete with Corollas and Pulsars. Like Graham said, it doesn't have any competition. Buyers don't compare the features of a 205 GTi with a Corolla. They will compare a 205 GTi with another 205 GTi. And the series 3 is special among 205 GTis because it has those desirable features of rear discs, power steering, etc.

Ok, perhaps you're right saying in the marketplace it's a 12 year old hatchback, but only to people who don't know what it is and aren't interested in buying it anyway.
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

You beat me to it Dino. Seems like we all want to defend the 205 GTi!

Anyway, that car is definitely worth $10-12k.
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

call me crazy but the price of a 205 GTi is governed by the nature of the present second hand car market.

OK.....so accordingly.....explain the current pricing of ds, mi16,...how about xygt....or slr5000....xu1.....cosworths,....gordinis,....2cv. ...fiat 500...etc etc etec...I could literally go on for hours.....

These cars DEMAND higher prices because of their individuality, classicism etc etc.....not because they may or may not have power steering or power windows.....
    Same goes for 205 gti...it has a cult following and one has to pay accordingly and relevant to other 205gti.....

Imagine me turnning up to see a light 15 and than telling its owner that for the 10K asking price I could get a vt commodore (light doesn t even have an ecu).....completely senseless and irelevant......

cheers

dino

Big issue is that even most australians in the market for a GTI won't know for the life of them what the 205 is like! Heck, most australians can't spell peugeot!

The reason the prices are so low here is because the 205 isn't well know enough. Most people would go for a satria GTI because they saw those in hot 4's, and besides, it says they have more power in the brochure (even though they barely break 10s to 100kmh).

It's the reason you see so many god damned lancer coupes kicking around, and why they hold their second hand value way more than they should!
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by dino
    in the case of the 205gti s3...its price will be relative to the price of OTHER 205gti series 1 2 and 3 cars.....
    I still disagree in that the price of a 205 GTi is still relevant to the marketplace. Of course it's not directly related to the price of a Corolla etc but that doesn't mean it has no connection to the overall marketplace. I think you are being overly simplistic in only attributing the price to other GTi's.

Quote Originally Posted by Peujohn
    It's not just a mass-produced hatchback. The 205 GTi is more than the sum of its parts, it a classic, a cult car.
    It is a cult classic, but it is also still a mass-produced hatchback, there are plenty avaliable, especially throughout the wider world.

I really don't want to sound like I am diminishing the features of the 205 but I am simply trying to communicate that there are still relatively quite a few around and you have to appreciate the current second hand market. That is not to say you can directly compare the price to a Corolla either.

Unfortunately I have to shoot off to work so I don't have the time to really express my thoughts properly.

I love the 205 GTi and will own one eventually, they are a fantastic car and I have loved the short drives I've had in them. I don't really want to have to go on about how wonderful they are but it seems some people seem to think the price they attract is in direct proportion to how great they are, unfortunately that is not how it is and we should all know that driving Peugeots.

admitedly...I m passionate about the 205gti......I also love my s16....but I d be a fool not to appricaite the different characteristics of the two cars.....
    Excuse my passion Louis....i appriciate where you are coming from.......

cheers

dino

Sometimes I wish I could go to NZ with a HERCULES all to myself......I d have it loaded to the cockpit......

I love the 205 GTi and will own one eventually, they are a fantastic car and I have loved the short drives I've had in them. I don't really want to have to go on about how wonderful they are but it seems some people seem to think the price they attract is in direct proportion to how great they are, unfortunately that is not how it is and we should all know that driving Peugeots.

AGREED.....they should really be coming in at around 70K-150K...when it comes to the driving pleasure they offer.....What other car does it...really does it?
    My s16 ceartinly although good doesn t touch the 205 for its feel and danceability.....corrollas...really now (even though the little gti was "nice"), a mini...yes they are cute but I m 6"4 and thats just stupid....a satria....cough cough..hell even a fuego would murder one of these....a seat....hmmm have a seatzzzzzzzz.....would be a fun thread really.....is there anything to match the 205gti at 10-12K....me thinks....not many...not many at all...

cheers

dino

The 205 is the fwd elise. :p The feel through the steering and your bum, the weighting of everything is just so. It's perfect. The elise might have the performance edge, and the exclusivity and brand, but the 205 has a boot, and a better gearbox/engine (talking of the kent mk1).
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i think we can all agree that the person that buys a 205GTi is someone who is after a 205GTi and not the average person out there who is hunting around for a 10+ year old hatch back to run around the city in

people who want an older hatchbackl to run around in will be the ones looking at the other jap/korean things that are out there and won't even bother looking at a 205

if they do then they are wasting everyones time and if people have that much time to waste then they should be doing something more productive and they aren't in the market for a car anyway as far as i am concerned
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    The 205 is like no other car, it has no competition.
    You either want one or you don't. I think the prices will begin to rise as they become scarcer. 203s and to some extent 404s have the same cult status.
    Graham

ok the series 3 is a great series of 205,the things are just great to drive,they look good and they are in a class of their own on all these points i agree
    im amazed that the person giving them the best press though does not own one.not a diss just an observation.
    now my 2 cents worth[about whats its worth]
    ladies and gentlemen of the gallery i implore you-10-12 thousand dollars for a 12 year old car.
    if i had 10-=12k and wanted a 205 id be trying to find a classic 205 gti.
    not only that we are all going on a sight unseen car that while might be in good or great nick according to the owner.
    now if found verying opinions on what great nick standards are.
    for 12 grand it would have to be spotless with no scuffs or marks inside or out.
    not one oil leak and regularly serviced[which apparently it is]
    \no rim scuffs and new tyres.
    anyway i hope it goes to a loving home whatever price he sells it for .-BAZZ

Where have 205 prices gone over the last few years - some observations.

I think there is a S3 205 GTI classic currently for sale with 80,0000 odd Ks on for about $16.5K

Eighteen months ago I spoke to a chap at the Sydney French car day who I think paid either $21 or $23 for a classic that had sub 40,000 K on it (it won the concours for best Pug that day)

I saw a post about a S3 (not sure if it was a Classic but had full leather etc 133,000 Km) for sale in a Melbourne car yard - It was $9K

There was an ad in Unique Cars for a Melbourne Classic probably around 12-18 months ago that made my jaw drop - I think it was $27K but incredibly low kilometres (memory is a bit blurry)

2 years ago I paid $14K for a S3 Sorrento green, full leather sun roof etc etc with a 6000 Klm old engine (total 104K) history from new and crazy amounts of money spent on keeping it right (every invoice provided).

This is my third 205 over the last 10 years (one sold, one written off by a XXXX who hit me at a set of lights while I was stationary - now being raced to great success by a fellow AFer who rescued it.

I have looked at literally dozens of the things.

I would like to suggest that to pay $10K for a truly good example of an S3 is doing pretty well.

Most at the $10k-12k mark (last time I looked) were either absolute or relative dogs.

What is a superb S3 205 GTI worth?

Whatever the buyer is willing to part with.

The other maxim - what you ask for and what you get can be two vastly different things.

Regardless, how much do I enjoy it? Every bloody cents worth. Once you consider how much pleasure you get every time you get in the car, you soon forget what you paid for it - as long as its not mega super money and your focus isn't necessarily on resale value. Depends on what you call stupid money.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by mbyok; 2nd February 2005 at 09:00 PM.

Iím amazed at what people think cars are worth on this forum some times, as Louis attempted to state. Also as Baz stated, it would have to be absolutely immaculate for me to even consider a 205 @ $10-12k.

Iím a big fan of 205's, but Iím also a realist, who doesn't believe in cult status "my apendeture is bigger then your apendeture"

Lets put things into place... its a front wheel drive hatchback, it's fun to drive, it has a lot of features another car of the same era doesn't, but that doesn't mean that i'm going to spend $10-$12k, unless it's immaculate in every sense of the word.

Now lets really think about it without the rose colored glasses... its old, its front wheel drive, it's probably been thrashed, and it's going to cost you a lot more then $12k to keep it on the road, and to top that off a lot of them have engines that won't last more then 200k km's.

Now then... that wouldn't mean that i wouldn't spend that much on a 205, hell i am currently throwing up cars i have the money for at the moment and yes a 205 GTi is on the list, but at that price it would have to be immaculate in EVERY sense of the word, and yes i can think of a few other cars that I would like to own just as much in the same price bracket, which would be just as fun, not that Iím not going to bring them up here because of the biased nature of this forum.

mbyok.....I think what you ve said is pretty much on the money.....When I quoted 10-12K....I did so after considering what mark said..ie sell in the next month or so.....I think, if his car is "excellent" it might be worth a touch more....but one does need to be realistic if one wants to sell quickly.....
    From my experiences with the 205gti and many others.....the way a car is defined is very important ie excellent condition immaculate very good sensational awsome...varies from both private sellers to dealers....I ve seen cars quoted as being imaculate but in reality were nowhere near that...with scratches, dirty engine and torn seats.....upon which I recieved the answer...."besides these its imaculate as you can see"......Infact the 205gti I bought a few years ago was advertised as a good car but turned out to be much more than that, more like excellent....just depends on the circumstances....

As far as ORESTES,...my mate.....hehehehheh

Im sorry, I m in disagrement with just about everything yuou ve said.....not out of principle...I simpli don t see it yoiur way......Actually this is how I see it....here goes....
    ORESTES turns up at an all french car day....sees a trully imaculate 205gti classic...It becomes obvious that the owner has maintained the car in superb condition and has without hesitation spent a heap on it because its been his little passion/toy.....So discussion turn towards possible sale....At this stage Orestes FEELS ITS APPROPRIATE to offer 12K for it .....Owner falls in a fit of lughter.....

Orestes, i respect your opinion and all...and I can see you as beeing obviously savy.....but to preach and PUT DOWN the value our beloved GTis on a public forum (esp. here) is abolutley beyond me.....Do yo care at all? So what if we don t give a rats about a four door 205...why should we....
    You sometimes come across as not being much of an enthusiaist at all.....is the 205gti the same as a pulsar?
    Comon mate....and whats this crap about not lasting 200 000 kays....thats just not true.....
    As for other cars in the same bracket that are as much fun.....Well...How hard is it...lets see your list...we are all civilised here (mostly) and you know I can t hold a grudge for 2 long.....I d like your opinion on this...so what are the other cars?

cheers

dino

applogies to mark for straying......nothing new on AF...

PS....I just recieved THE ILLUSTRATED DIRECTORY OF CLASSIC CARS (gift)and believe it or not the only peugeot that made it is the...wait for it....PEUGEOT 205GTi.....go figure.....please note, : astras, pulsars,civics,suzukis, mazda 323s, lasers,...and no, not even the golf gti, recieved even a mention....
    Last edited by dino; 2nd February 2005 at 07:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information