opions on the 206 GTI 180
  • Register
  • Help

Default opions on the 206 GTI 180

hey people, my first message on this forum.
    what do you think of the car? build, performance, value, resale. was also looking at a vw golf, cleio sport, madza sp3. thanks was any help.

Advertisement

great car and welcome to the forum, you can get most of your answers if you just search for 180. there are a lot of threads on them. silly question, do you own the 180?

no i don't have one, but it number 1 on my short list.
    i have to get a car for work so i need to get one soon. been looking at the net and test driving all week.

get a real gti

a 205gti classic
    2008 Fiesta XR4 "ST150"
    -Cosworth cams, Cosworth intake manifold, CIA "K&N", Dream science, De-Cat, Eibach, Bilsteins, White Line sway bar "rear", EBC Rotors and pads, Goodridge brake lines, OZ Racing wheels, Toyo R1R

1964 S2a Land Rover LWB
    -Served with the 1st Australian Task Force, Vietnam, original condition

1994 S3 205 GTI
    -3L 406 V6 Conversion

2009 Husqvarna TE510
    -Blinged

Quote Originally Posted by sizedoesntmatte
    hey people, my first message on this forum.
    what do you think of the car? build, performance, value, resale. was also looking at a vw golf, cleio sport, madza sp3. thanks was any help.
    You probably have no idea what a loaded question you just asked

Of course I'm going to say 180 and Clio. This means you have to test drive both of them, and spend some time sitting in them to see if either is what you want.

Personally, I think the Mazda is pretty fuggly (yes! even more so than the Clio ) and I'm not sure about the Golf, as I haven't really had much of a look at them. The Mazda and the Golf are a slightly different type of car anyway, in my opinion, yes?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

If the Golf is a serious consideration - wait for the Mk V GTI. From all the reviews it's much, much better than the Mk IV. However I believe that the price will be more (somewhere between 5 & 10K) than either the 206 GTi 180 or the RSC.

I agree with SLC - the Mazda 3 is not a pretty car. The sedan looks better than the hatch but the front end looks like it ran into the back of a bus.

Take all the cars your interested in for a drive over the same bit of road - preferably without the sales guy next to you (you cant always win on this one though) and make your own decisions.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

What kind of driving are you going to be doing in it? The 180 & Clio are brilliant cars, but if you're going to be doing a lot of ks over rough roads (even inner city ones) you could find the stiff suspenstion pretty tiring.

The Clio is my fav of those two hot hatches. The engine seems less laboured, and it turns in just that little bit more eagerly. It's a close call, but the looks of the clio also put it over the edge for me (especially with the cup pack anthracite wheels.. ooooh).

For regular cars, i think the focus is a better proposition than the mazda. It looks better (or fresher and more composed at least), is a great steer (much better than you'd think!), and has a really stiff chassis, and quite a supple ride. You do notice corrugations though, but that's the only surface that will catch out the damping. I also think when the mk2 focus comes out, the mk1 will hold it's value quite well because of the much funkier styling. You'll also probably get a great deal on a mk1 when the new version draws closer.

The 1.8 LX is a good setup. I prefer the engine to the 2.0 zetec, and you get alloys and air-con etc.
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

What were you looking for mainly in a car, 'cos i would say that the mazda 3 and golf are quite different cars to the 206 and clio. the latter 2 are quite small, which is great in terms of weight advantages, but then again i've lived with one for the past three years without too many problems.

Build quality was not a high point for either the clio or the 206, but their performance over the other two more than make up for it

i think the differences between the 206 gti 180 and clio 182 are quite minimal, and though the clio does have the paper advantage, the skill of the driver will be the bigger determining factor.

So go out and drive both, and ... buy whicher one you feel like on they day 'cos i'm sure you won't be disappointed with either
    Then - 2001 206 Gti
    Now - 2000 306 Gti6
    Now - 1974 GS 1220 Club

Icon10

Welcome size...

Renault drivers are sexier!

Aus
    P.S. the 180/182 comparision is a hot topic in the renault camp too at the mo.
    but seriously, you should test drive both and look at what will suit your situation best. (but you'll never regret going french!)
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

Fellow Frogger!

under priced, compared to other point and squirts on the market.

probably the best style for the money.

not perfect though, but accept it and all is good.

Welcome to AF!

It's a very fun car to drive. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all if you bought one
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

thanks for all your comments guys. I really like the 206 gti180, it'll most likely be it for me. will be starting the paper work this week hopefully (if the boss pulls his finger out). hehe. cant wait, hope to see you all out there at a future cruise.

Thread Information