405 sri airconditioning playing up
  • Register
  • Help
    MrV

Icon4 405 sri airconditioning playing up

g'day all,

i recently purchased my pug, and about two weeks ago the air conditioning was fixed by an autoelectrician through a dealer, as it was part of the purchasing agreement.

lately though, its been giving me hassles . the problem is that if i have it running while just driving around normally through suburban streets and traffic etc, every time i put the clutch in the change down when braking the engine revs drop dangerously low, sometimes about ~500 rpm. (even from 3rd to 2nd) then if i'm not careful when i put the clutch in when braking from 2nd to a stop the engine will drop too low and the car stalls.

needless to say this has concerned me a fair bit as the air con was only just done and clearly it shouldn't be happening almost every time i bring the car to a stop

Advertisement

i've driven it without the aircon in identical situations and it doesn't stall, so i figure it must be the air con drawing too much current from the battery or something else. also it has on a couple of ocassions cut out the radio for a few seconds when i turn it on or off. which reminds me, what minimum voltage should i be getting out of the battery, when the motor is on/off?

so to me it looks like the autoelectrician doesn't know pugs or whatever, and hasn't done a great job of it. (this is the guy who apparently says my wobbly speedo is 'legal' and my faulty oil gauge 'is just a peugeot thing') i havent spoken to him personally as its been through a dealer but it looks like i need a second opinion.

so is there any quick checks i can do myself? i think i'll be taking it to another autoelectricians to have a look at and see whats going on.

Which leads me to my last question - does anyone know of good autoelectricians on Brisbane southside that know their pugs pretty well??

thanks.

MrV

The air is working OK, the aux air device that hold the revs up on the motor when the air is on is possibly not. Is your car series 1 or 2? It could be a little solenoid valve or a stepper motor, depending on the model from what I remember.

Maybe your idle can be sped up a touch to help. I don't think I would be blaming the auto elect for your engine stalling at this stage. It will have nothing to do with voltage, but it should be charging at around 13.8-14.1 volts.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    02 and 03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

MrV

thanks alan....

i have a series 2 sri...

i checked the voltage after a good run it was 12.44 and 13.78 with the engine running so i guess thats ok... i only mentioned it because when i got the car the battery voltage was low and the fluid levels in the battery were disturbingly dry as well...

so how would i be checking up on the aux air device? or is it a job for an auto-electrician?

Fellow Frogger!

The series 2 SRI is gonig to be the XU10J2 engine fitted with a Magneti Marelli 8P management system.

On the idle control valve is a stepper motor held in with 2 x torx 20 screws.

This stepper motor is controlled by the ECU to adjust the idle speed.

Remove the stepper motor, Dont lose the O ring & give the housing & motor a clean to remove all the black gunk.

Disconnect the batter first before unplugging the stepper motor.

When you put it back together, Reconnect the battery, turn the ignition on but DONT start the engine.

Press the accelerator pedal fully open & let it return to rest TWICE, Watch for the flash from the diagnostic light, This resets the stepper motor.
    If you dont reset it the idle speed will be through the roof!

Once you have done this start the engine & see if the problems gone away.

Click for a picture of the stepper motor location.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ee/Stepper.jpg
    2003 Pug 206 GLX TU3JP

Thread Information