Resilvering Bits
  • Register
  • Help
    mlb

Default Resilvering Bits

I have decided to pick up the appearance of my Pug a bit. Does anyone know how to rejuvenate/reapply the silver around the body? Namely badges and the surrounds for the front and rear windscreens. What products are good for doing this, or should I just get some silver paint?

Advertisement

Thanks

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Try the automotive paint sections of autobarn, supercheap, paintright etc and you will find that there are now chrome finish paints available. This is likely to be much more like the original finish on the badges at least. the trims around the front and rear windows are stainless steel aren't they? if so they might respond better to a metal finisher's touch.

cheers
    Trevor Hoare
    Boolarra Vic

'95 405Mi16 - what a great car! ; 89 405 ( for my daughter )
    previously 205Si, 504Ti, HR wagon with R16 seats, R16, R10, VW kombi, VW passat, HQ panel van, FB panelvan, Rover'49 P3 4-light

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by trevh
    Try the automotive paint sections of autobarn, supercheap, paintright etc and you will find that there are now chrome finish paints available. This is likely to be much more like the original finish on the badges at least. the trims around the front and rear windows are stainless steel aren't they? if so they might respond better to a metal finisher's touch.

cheers
    The window trims look like they have celar plastic over them. But this plastic has deteriorated over time and gone opaque. Where it has cracked in places the silver underneath still looks bright. Is it worth while to break this plastic coating off nad recoat the chrome I wonder?
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Default Plastic Chrome trim

Hi Matt
    You are right about the trim around the front and back screens, ditto roof gutter moulds. Depending how bad they are you can sometimes get some temporary improvement with armourall. Or you could do as I have just done and fit new ones which are available from European Auto for around $30.00 ea. for the screens and $65.00 for the two roof/gutter moulds. Trust that this helps.
    Regards
    Neil

Thread Information