• Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: oils

mp
    Tadpole

oils

any advice on best oils for 206 gti at moment using esso ultron 5w40

Advertisement

I've mentioned before the paraffinic based Cadillac Oils, available from Regency Downs.

Yeah, it's another plug for George and his little business, but this stuff is excellent gear.

Buy 20 litres at a time for convenience and savings...

I use Shell Helix Ultra 15W-50 in every 4 stroke I own, cars, boat, whipper snipper etc. I got sick of having an oil for this, and an oil for that. A 20L drum costs approx. $150 from the Green Goanna in Auburn, Sydney. Great bloke, great prices. Much cheaper than BigW, K-Mart or Super Cheap.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

I use Shell Helix Ultra 15W-50 in every 4 stroke I own, cars, boat, whipper snipper etc. I got sick of having an oil for this, and an oil for that. A 20L drum costs approx. $150 from the Green Goanna in Auburn, Sydney. Great bloke, great prices. Much cheaper than BigW, K-Mart or Super Cheap.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

mp:
    any advice on best oils for 206 gti at moment using esso ultron 5w40
    Being at Biggenden, there is an Oil Company working out of Hervey Bay who may be worth a call.
    I've used a fair bit of his stuff & found it to be top quality.
    He uses a European guy who is an independent oil blender in Sydney to work out his formulas & can get first hand advice through him if necessary.

<a href="http://www2.austrade.gov.au/AOD/Page58126.asp" target="_blank">http://www2.austrade.gov.au/AOD/Page58126.asp</a>

Contact details are on that website.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

$150 is a bit too dear for 20 litres...

I use Amsoil full synthetic, costs around $90 for 5L. Yep, a bit steep. I've got some indepedent reviews of oils that a chemist mate has thrown together. Basically, Mobil 1 is the best of the "normal" synthetics. The next step up is the top Elf synthetics, but they again cost a bucketload.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

But why use synthetics?

Recall the posts of the past few weeks about their suitability for racing not being the same for road use?

Full synthetics are required in most modern cars to get the long fill intervals. A semi synthetic can not do the 15000-20000km intervals that Peugeot are now using. The main ester base to a syntethic is a detergent, which ensures that the oil remains relatively free of contaminants during it's life. The syntethic added to a mineral oil is added for this detergent, which apparently, will evaporate over time. I'd guess that 206 GTI already runs a full syntethic at the moment, as my 2000 GTi6 ran a full synthetic as well from the factory.

On a car that does not run on full syntethic, you could run a semi synth with more often change intervals, say at 5000km, as opposed to 10000kms for a synthetic.

I don't have the reviews on my machine, but <a href="http://www.bobistheoilguy.com" target="_blank">http://www.bobistheoilguy.com</a> is a good website on this stuff.
    - Lincoln

Peugeot actually only recommends semi-synths, full synth is up to the customer.

Sometimes I wonder, is it better to use a cheaper oil and just change it more frequently than a fancy oil? As great as full synths are, I can't imagine that they'd look that great after 30,000km (euro service intervals).

From what I've heard, Amsoil make a very good product.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Use some Catrol Magnatex GTX ( i think that the name) Fully Synth Stuff... costs too abit, but better then the shit they try and put in my car at the dealership, i Bring My Own oil when i get a service.

<small>[ 16 June 2003, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: Xsara ]</small>

Ray Bell:
    $150 is a bit too dear for 20 litres...
    I thought $7.50/L for a full synthetic was OK.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

I think it's more important to get the viscosity right and change the oil often. Does Peugeot specify a 5 weight oil? That's thin!

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

The 306 GTI6 uses 10W30, and I'm running extended intervals with full synthetic.

Yes, you could use cheap semi-synth and change it more often and it would be just as good as synth. One thing to note is that once you switch to full synth it's a good idea to not go back to semi-synth.

Justin, the service schedule for models later than 2000 says the GTi6 is to use full synth only. My recollection is that was for all cars, not just GTi6...but I was mainly paying attention to my car, obviously, so I could be wrong. We certainly had a go at A&J for using Mobil S in our one and only service there.

I'm going to arrange for an oil analysis to be done on this 20000kms Amsoil that we've used in the GTi6. Note, this has had a oil filter change and top up every 5000kms. So the oil is still looking pretty good. Once I get the results I'll post on the findings.
    - Lincoln

Here is a thread from Performance Forums, which has the documents that a mate of mine did on various oils. It's interesting reading if you're into such things

<a href="http://board.performanceforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67135896&highlight=amso il" target="_blank">http://board.performanceforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67135896&highlight=amso il</a>
    - Lincoln

Xsara:
    Use some Catrol Magnatex GTX ( i think that the name) Fully Synth Stuff... costs too abit, but better then the shit they try and put in my car at the dealership, i Bring My Own oil when i get a service.
    Are you sure it's Magnatec? That's just a mid range oil and GTX is the low end oil. Some people say Magnatec clogs up your engine.

The fully synth top of the range is the Formula R range (I believe this has replaced the Softec range).

Lincoln,

Thanks for the link. Peugeot says you only need semi-synth, but if you want full synth, there's a $30 surcharge, it's not a huge amount. If they're scheduling the oil to be in the engine for 20k, I figure a full synth is the way to go. But oils that cost $150 a pop! Isn't it just better to change the oil with a $50 oil three times as often?

Sometimes I wonder, is it really worth spending so much on oil though, instead of more regular changes. There are plenty of super high mileage cars out there that don't use any fancy schmanzy oils, even more modern cars.

It's often said the cheapest insurance policy is a regular oil change.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

umm it's not low end, well the price doens't indicate that.... lemme see what it is, will get back to you later when i get home!

Yep, it's Castrol Formula R and gets mixed reports on how good it is.

Justin, in the end the average consumer hates taking their car in for a service. So long change intervals appeal to the consumer. For enthusiasts, if you can do a change every 5000 kms or so then that is great. I'd also recommend doing the oil filter change as well though.

For me, a long change interval is not as appealing as quality. I know of people who change Mobil 1 every 5000kms, which is awfully keen.

I can not see a semi-synth lasting 20000kms though, nothing I've read on the various oil forums and articles I've read indicates that a semi-synth can do that. So I'm very surprised that Peugeot are using semi-synths with a long change interval, it spells a recipe for disaster in my mind. I went back and looked at the Pug site, and you're right, it's extra for Synthetic, so am I right in assuming the intermediate check gets a full oil change every 10000kms?
    - Lincoln

Nope.

No oil change at the intermediate check unless you ask for it.

Think about Europe - the interval is 30,000!!!

To me, it makes more sense to change the oil with a $40 oil every 10,000 rather than an $80 oil every 20,000.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Justin, yes there is a merit in doing that, but even a semi-synth has problems after 10000kms, and especially in urban driving.

In Europe are they running synthetic for 30000km change intervals? I know from the bobistheoilguy forum that the US does long drain intervals using synthetics, but not sure about Europe.

Oh, and next to tyres, I'm an oil freak

<small>[ 16 June 2003, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: GTI124 ]</small>
    - Lincoln

I was about to write in one of the earlier posts.

"So Lincoln, you're now the tyre and oil nerd" Now Aussiefrogs needs a brake nerd, a coolant nerd, a washer fluid and wiper nerd, ... We've already got lots of different types of nerds!

Europe runs the 30k intervals, it's in the manual. It's 30k or one year, so for most people that 30k interval is only academic.

The 15k interval in my parents' car seems quite reasonable to me and they use good oil in the car.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I would never run my oil in any car for more than 10000km. My Mazda sees oil and filter change every 10000km (Mobil 1) and the 205 will see Mobil 1 and 5000km changes once its run in properly. But thats going to cop a hell of a lot of abuse.

Darren

Can I be the vanity mirror nerd??? PLEEAAASSSEEE!!!! tongue
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Did you know that Mobil 1 doesn't meet the European specification for fully synthetic oils? And that there are 3 grades of Mobil 1?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Peter.

No I didn't.

What's the difference? Are they all synthetic?

Darren

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information