XU9 engine numbers??
  • Register
  • Help

Default XU9 engine numbers??

I have just purchased an 89 build 405 auto with the xu9j2 motor.

Problem is that the engine number on the rego and what I can see do not match. And the Roadworthy I have just paid for has ine number and the transfer papers have the other. This is likely to be a problem when I go to vicroads to transfer the rego.....

Advertisement

I can see two plates pop riveted to the top face of the block at the drive belt end next to the engine mount and just above the alternator bracket. One is printed with the engine type - DFV from memory. The other has a number stamped on it - the first line is 1CW4Y and the second is 000259. I can see no other evidence of any other numbers at either end of the block from above. This is the number the mechanic has put on the roadworthy.

The Service Record Book lists JRA as the first owner and has the engine number as 8546789. these are the last 7 digits of the VIN This is the one on the rego papers.

My questions are:
    1. is the number on the riveted plate the engine number? does it fit peoples experience of the kinds of engine numbers used on this type of engine in cars produced in 1989? If this is not the engine number then what is its significance?
    2. where is the other number stamped on the engine? The plates that I have described are not hard to find. They are really the first thing you see when looking for an engine number. I now see from some earlier threads on engine numbers that there may be a number stamped somewhere under the engine. Exactly where? I will put her up on ramps tomorrow and have a look around underneath but some directions will help and be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance
    Last edited by trevh; 30th January 2005 at 01:39 AM. Reason: searched the forums and found more info
    Trevor Hoare
    Boolarra Vic

'95 405Mi16 - what a great car! ; 89 405 ( for my daughter )
    previously 205Si, 504Ti, HR wagon with R16 seats, R16, R10, VW kombi, VW passat, HQ panel van, FB panelvan, Rover'49 P3 4-light

Fellow Frogger!

DFV sounds perfectly normal for the odd cat/low compression motors you got in Australia.

My 405 SRi with the normal 125hp XU9J2 has D6A stamped on that plate. For example other XU9 motors can be listed as DKZ.

Sounds like everything is fine but some people have taken different interpretations of what the engine number is...

The engine number was stamped by the dealer (usually 1st yr apprentice) into the sump gasket face, near the rear main bearing. Lay upside down, underneath with a torch and you'll find it.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Default Engine number

Hi, as Peter says or in quite a few cases along the flat piece sticking rearward from the head opposite to where the plate is riveted (ie behind the motor). I do have a 405 at present, however, which doesn't have anything but the riveted plate (I've searched thoroughly).

Default nothing else found

OK I have looked extensively in the daylight from top and bottom - no new numbers found.

There are some stampings in the sump gasket face at the flywheel end mostly letters in circles spread randomly around - about 4 on one side and one on the other at various orientations.

I can see no evidence of a landing below the head behind the engine - the exhaust manifold makes it hard to get at anyway and there's no way a number could have been stamped there after the engine was fitted.

There is a nice machined flat land at the top of the block at the flywheel end just below the lifting hook and the distributor where a number could be easily stamped by a first year apprentice but there is nothing there.

So the mystery remains. The only visible number is the one I have described which is on the roadworthy but is not the one on the registration sticker. How do I explain this to Vicroads??

I will call Hayden at pugwreck tomorrow to see what he can tell me about engine numbers and will also call the two previous owners to see what I can find out.

I will post when I fugure it out....

Cheers
    Trevor Hoare
    Boolarra Vic

previously 205Si, 504Ti, HR wagon with R16 seats, R16, R10, VW kombi, VW passat, HQ panel van, FB panelvan, Rover'49 P3 4-light

Quote Originally Posted by trevh

There are some stampings in the sump gasket face at the flywheel end mostly letters in circles spread randomly around - about 4 on one side and one on the other at various orientations.

Cheers
    That will be them, usually very poorly done. I thought there should be six digits, which were the last six digits of the VIN number. But if there's seven, I doubt it matters.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

The Plate with "1CW4Y000259" is the engine number. The earlier model XU motors have them riveted where you can see yours and the later models where stamped on the bottom as described in the previous posts.
    I have a similar problem! Have had my 205 imported from the UK, and all the docs show the VIN and engine number, but on friday when I was trying to get a RWC, my mechanic pointed out that the riveted plate was missing (something I had never noticed before.) He told me I would have a problem with VicRoads when registering it. So he told me he would stamp it on the block below, otherwise it's a lengthy process involving getting a number through the police or something!
    Hope this helps.
    MayheM

Default Found it!

thanks for the correct info pug303 - you were right.

I spoke to Hayden at Pugwreck today and after he assured me that it was there I had another look at the exhaust side of the engine - drivers side or rather I had a feel aound and found the flat landing as described. After wiping the surface with a rag and craning to see with a torch I was able to make out 6 of the seven digits - just!

Fortunately they are the correct digits so my fears of explaining an unrecorded engine change to Vicroads are gone. It should be fairly easy to explain the confusion and I will take the car over to show them the two numbers if they want to see how the confusion occurred.

How a roadworthy tester is supposed to know where to find it and actually check it I do not know especially when there's the rivetted plate to distract.

Thanks again for all you help

Cheers
    Trevor Hoare
    Boolarra Vic

Thread Information