405 advice needed
  • Register
  • Help

405 advice needed

G,day. I dont normally come over this side of the forum but couldnt help myself at todays south coast auction. After many years of Citroens I now have to find space in the back yard for a 89 model 405 auto wagon. Guess I will have to shuffle a couple of the BX's to make room. Runs like a charm, right price and not too shabby in the appearance stakes either.
    I am after some info on the rear ends on these beasts. Both wheels look to be cambered out, the right only slightly but the left quite noticeably. On the BX'es this was just a matter of slipping a couple of bearings into the pivot arms. Can anyone tell me if the same system applies on the 405? Looks to be a similar arrangement except for those whopping great steel bars where the spheres should be.
    Only other problem with the car is a bad leak in the power steering. Looks to be coming from the pipe fittings into the pinion housing but not 100% sure, maybe a seal?. Anyone know of any common faults around this area?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Advertisement

when i first brought my mi16 it had hole in the power steering high pressure hose.. it costs like $320 to replace..
    Buzzed 405...Got a problem?

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    buzzedmi16:
    when i first brought my mi16 it had hole in the power steering high pressure hose.. it costs like $320 to replace..
    next time you get something like that go and see your local pirtek man
    it would have been 1/2 that price and the hose is a lot better than the genuine item
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Crawled underneath with a torch and it looks to be coming from the upper of the two steel pipes going into the pinion control unit. Seemed to be tight enough so I tried the old trick of loosening off and retightening. Still leaking just as bad but it doesnt seem to be coming from around the seal area. Maybe just a dodgy flare fitting or a hole in the pipe. Daylight will reveal all I hope.

hmm my mechanic couldnt get a genuine part he got this one made up at enzed whip peugeot_
    Buzzed 405...Got a problem?

Fellow Frogger!
    just a note guys,ive had hoses made up over the years for 505 306 etc,enzed and others,the hose they tend to use has a metal wrap layer inside,its stronger than standard but what it can do is give you a vibration when turning at rest or a quick u turn.a sort of shaking in the wheel.ive changed back to original and bingo problem gone.i had a 306 xtdt it when so bad the lady wouldnt drive it until i got one from france 14 days later.my fathers sti did this changed the hose fixed.the leak may be a cracked flare on the end of the pipe,the 405 do leak from the top valve body seals also.

Got the power steer leak sorted OK. Turned out to be the rigid line from the distributor to the ram had cracked the pipe right on the flared end.Out with the flaring tool and its as good as new. Looks like the mounting bush for the ram is a bit sloppy and this may have fatigued the pipe. Thats another job for the list. Turning out to be a nice car to drive, doesnt handle the inequalities of the south coast "roads" as well as the BX but the seats leave the standard BX for dead. Also found a funny little knob on the dash that adjusts the headlights up and down when you put smething in the back. Never needed one of them on any of my Cits!

Fellow Frogger!
    Your camber problem is indeed dissolving/dissolved needle bearings on the trailing arms. The only question at this point is whether the crossmember is beyond salvage due to scoring.

Buy a set of the bearings and try the work and see about the X-member. If you're lucky, it won't be scored too badly and you can get away with re-use.

Tap some gease nipples into the trailing arms between the bearings and pump the (large) gaps full of grease - after the repair is effected of course. This should prevent a re-occurrence.
    -Mike
    1966 404 Coupé KF2
    1989 405 DL
    2005 smart fortwo cdi cabrio

Thread Information