painting rims
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: painting rims

Default painting rims

i have a set of 14" 'pepper pot' rims from the 205 gti that came with the car.i was thinking of painting them white similar to the t16 look to use for motorsport later this year.
    can someone recomend a place that paints rims .i live in balwyn so local would be good.
    do panel beaters usually do this sort of thing ?-BAZZ

Advertisement

people who sell wheels / tyres usually do this ... I doubt panel beaters would do it.
    1994 306 S16 sold but not forgotten
    2004 Clio 182 current

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    i have a set of 14" 'pepper pot' rims from the 205 gti that came with the car.i was thinking of painting them white similar to the t16 look to use for motorsport later this year.
    can someone recomend a place that paints rims .i live in balwyn so local would be good.
    do panel beaters usually do this sort of thing ?-BAZZ
    I am presently having a set of 404 steel disc wheels sandblasted and powder coated. I chose this process because the wheels were so badly rusted internally that the tubes were sticking to the rims. I feel that powder coating will provide a tougher finish than automotive lacquer. There are several shades of white available in powder coats, including at least some automotive
    "colours". The powder coating process is comparable in cost to having an automotive paint shop paint your rims. In fact some automotive paint shops send out tray bodies to powder coaters for re-painting and I would not be surprised if they did the same with rims.

Perhaps you could look in the yellow pages for abrasive cleaners and powder coating.

I will be picking up my rims in a couple of weeks and I will let you know what I think of the finish.

Quote Originally Posted by groongal
    I am presently having a set of 404 steel disc wheels sandblasted and powder coated. I chose this process because the wheels were so badly rusted internally that the tubes were sticking to the rims. I feel that powder coating will provide a tougher finish than automotive lacquer. There are several shades of white available in powder coats, including at least some automotive
    "colours". The powder coating process is comparable in cost to having an automotive paint shop paint your rims. In fact some automotive paint shops send out tray bodies to powder coaters for re-painting and I would not be surprised if they did the same with rims.

Perhaps you could look in the yellow pages for abrasive cleaners and powder coating.

I will be picking up my rims in a couple of weeks and I will let you know what I think of the finish.
    Picked up my rims today. Very pleased with the finish, cost $35-00 each. Bear in mind my rims had a lot of internal corrosion so I may have been charged extra for the time involved in blast cleaning them.

Bazz,
    did you ever get your 14" rims painted? I've got some 15" rims that have been painted white, that I would like to restore to original. Any clues?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Powder Coat them - I checked around and found that most people recommended Powder Coating over Paint - Just make sure you get a clear coat as well otherwise brake dust sticks.

I found I have to wipe my RIMS down every week.

I paid $50 per Rim but that included everything from taking the tyres off, getting rid of nicks, wheel balancing.

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

I recently saw a pic of a 205 gti 1FM limited edition for sale in the UK (only 25 made). It had black 15" speedlines and looked just awesome. Rach is now considering doing that to her rims.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    Bazz,
    did you ever get your 14" rims painted? I've got some 15" rims that have been painted white, that I would like to restore to original. Any clues?

NO I SORT OF LOST INTEREST AS IVE GOT A FEW MORE THINGS TO SPEND MY MONEY ON AT THE MOMENT BUT I WILL END UP SEEING ABOUT IT AND ILL POST MY FINDINGS .I THINK $50 IS A GOOD PRICE BUT I THINK THEY WILL END UP MAYBE NEAR $100 EACH.IF ITS CHEAPER ILL BE HAPPY CHAPPY .-BAZZ

Thread Information