Mysterious Oil Leak
  • Register
  • Help
    mlb

Default Mysterious Oil Leak

I'm tryng to solve a mystery of an oil leak on my car.

When it was rebuilt 18 months ago, the previous owner was told that there was a leak from the rear end of the crank. The mechanic had not worked on Pugs before and was not that familiar with the slinger. He said that the leak only really happened after the engine was stopped, but none was apparent when the engine was running. Obviously because it was being slung back into the crankcase. He spoke to some Peugeot mechanics who told him that it sounded like the crankshaft needed replacing.

Now, everyone I've spoken to about this that knows Pugs finds this scenario hard to believe, that it is almost unheard of Pugs leaking from the rear end. I'm also not too sure about the not leaking when it's running thought either, judging by the amount of oil caked onto the gearbox and surrounds. It seems that at the moment the oil consumption is a bit high - I think around a litre per 1000kms - but this may be due to the hotter weather and longer runs the car is doing thining the oil more than normal (I am running 20W50).

Being unfamiliar with the crankshaft setup, with the photos in Haynes not being much help, has anyone got any photos of crankshafts or could give a description of how the system operates.

Any other ideas on where the oil could be coming from would help also. The car does not seem to leak when stationary for a while, but it does drip as soon as it is stopped, although this is probably just be the oil that has been flung around under the car. I've had a look around and had no luck finding anything obvious.

Thanks

Matt

Advertisement
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

mlb

I wish it was that simple. Unfortunately the XN1 engine does not have a rear seal, more a scroll which throws the oil back into the crankcase. Not sure of the proper name - a Lambrus Seal?

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Matt,

I still stick by what we talked about the other night, i'd be having a good close look at the sump gasket, with that 2 part sump it's not huge to replace. When you get one from EAI just make sure you get both parts.

Also you need to replace an O ring on the oil pump once it's been out again not expensive *a few cents*.

While you have the pump out it's a good excuse to put that distributor/oil pump drive back to standard.

Cheers

Ben

PS I also meant to ask you the other night, would you like me to send you up a standard fuel pump ?
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

Fellow Frogger!

It could always be the hocky stick oil seals under the crank bearing cap behind the flywheel.

Less the 1 for the part, Very expensive labour to replace.

Not many non Pug / Cit trained mechanics know about these seals.
    2003 Pug 206 GLX TU3JP

mlb

OK, mystery solved, I think.

After coming home today, I gave the car a bit of time to cool down - Hot exhaust, not good for crawling under car - and went out for a look. As I suspected my gearbox that I cleaned yesterday had fresh oil dripping from it. The fact that the oils only drips for a while once stopped and the car does not lose oil whilst stationary I figured two things, it could be the rear of the crank (highly unlikely) or from somewhere that oil goes only when the engine is running. So that ruled out the sump gasket (Sorry Ben) but possibly the oil seals that Lee mentioned. I asked the mechanic about these today and he said 'I don't know, it's been a while since I did it' - real possibilty. As you said though, 20c part, half a day's work to fix.

Then I noticed that there was a trail of oil leading up the block. Head gasket? I thought. I started the engine and there it was! Oil seeping out of the line that feeds the head, where it bolts onto the block. I tried tightening it up, to no avail. So I think I'll just lash out and buy a new one, just to be on the safe side (I'm not sure if you noticed Ben, but the setup that was there did not quite look original). I'll wait until morning when all is cool and give it another go, order some spares, then hope that the threads in the block aren't knackered.

Wish Me Luck

Matt

He might have lost one of the copper washers... there are two on each bolt, one against the head and the block, one under the head of the bolt.

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    He might have lost one of the copper washers... there are two on each bolt, one against the head and the block, one under the head of the bolt.
    Yes and by the look of it also under the temperature alarm sensor. That too is leaking, and too bloody tight to get out.

Quote Originally Posted by mlb
    Yes and by the look of it also under the temperature alarm sensor. That too is leaking, and too bloody tight to get out.
    Ah yes, the "if it leaks it can't be tight enough" syndrome. Never cures the patient and is hard for the next dopctor too!

Cheers

JohnW

Matt,

SO simple ! Noel will kick himself *as I am now* when I tell him !

If missing copper washer those will leak like mad! I'd get a new set of copper washers and try that, that pipe looked fairly normal to me ?

Anyway thats an EASY fix!

Cheers

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by Pug_405_Mi16
    Matt,

SO simple ! Noel will kick himself *as I am now* when I tell him !

If missing copper washer those will leak like mad! I'd get a new set of copper washers and try that, that pipe looked fairly normal to me ?

Anyway thats an EASY fix!

Cheers

Ben
    Yes, that will get me a honorarly membership into the '50 cent fixers' club. Fixing a supposedly $2,500 crank shaft replacement with a couple of 20c washers.

You never know they might just make me president.

I think you'd be right there if you overtighten on of those hollow bolts and snap it off... let us know, the voting will be on soon.

mlb

Ok problem solved.

Replaced washers on the weekend. Still ended up with oil running out . So I put a mirror behind the bolt for a look and lo an behold it was the bolt itself that was leaking. They had done bodgy repairs to it to extend it or something (I can't work out why either) and where they had welded were a couple of pin holes. Went to the wreckers, sourced a new bolt. I fitted it then and there tested it., Everything's dry. Came home - one hour along the highway - and rechecked. Still dry with nary a drop to be seen. I'm glad it's finally fixed, this morning I went through 1/2 litre just getting to work so things were getting desparate. And also I did not end up breaking the bolt, sorry Ray.

Now what am I going to do with the remaining $2,490 I had budgeted for the job?

Matt

Well... I have this project you see...

Default Oil Leak.

Matt,
    Welcome to the "50 Cent Fixers Club".
    This is what it's all about, think about the problem even sleep on it.
    Unfortunately one or two took it the wrong way insinuating that it was a patch up group, puttying up exhaust pipes and the like.

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    Matt,
    Welcome to the "50 Cent Fixers Club".
    Why, thank you, I'm so proud!

This is what it's all about, think about the problem even sleep on it.
    Well, as I always say, you can't rush art.

Unfortunately one or two took it the wrong way insinuating that it was a patch up group, puttying up exhaust pipes and the like.
    I cannot believe that. I thought we were all serious automotive enthusiasts who would not do anything to risk the high class reputation for engineering that our Pugs are known for.

Once again thanks! I'll have to get my tattoo now!

Matt

One or two took it the wrong way?

Ahhh... there's a bad apple in every crowd!

Thread Information