205 GTi series 1 rear disc brakes
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    1000+ Posts

Default 205 GTi series 1 rear disc brakes

I would think this has been done over before but is it practically possible to fit disc brakes to the rear of an Australian Series 1 205GTi.

I would think it is.

Advertisement

Keeping it legal is another matter altogether, it would require a machinery inspection for compliance and insurance is another matter too.

Those aside, what is the process if one is known?

Matt

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew
    I would think this has been done over before but is it practically possible to fit disc brakes to the rear of an Australian Series 1 205GTi.

I would think it is.

Keeping it legal is another matter altogether, it would require a machinery inspection for compliance and insurance is another matter too.

Those aside, what is the process if one is known?

Matt
    I think the trailing arms are different for the disc brake model.
    Graham

Graham do you have any evidence to support this? So are you saying that s3 rear ends can't be put into s1 rear ends?

A bit concerned 'cause this is what I'm doing next week!
    Series 1 205 Gti
    '54 VW Beetle (oval-window)
    '71 VW Beetle (big-window)

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by ruckus
    Graham do you have any evidence to support this? So are you saying that s3 rear ends can't be put into s1 rear ends?

A bit concerned 'cause this is what I'm doing next week!
    I'm sure you can drop the complete suspension in.
    Just that I think I saw a reference to not being able to fit discs to early trailng arms. makes sense as the disc and caliper holder would mount differently to a drum brake backing plate.
    Graham

Phew thanks mate!
    Series 1 205 Gti

Fellow Frogger!

As far as i can tell the arms etc are all the same but the stub axle pressed into the arm is longer on the disc brake model. Discs would probably fit at a pinch on the shorter stubs but you wouldn't be able to lock the nut properly.

Cheers

Jim

let us know how you go cos I'm doing this in a few weeks!
    Chris
    205gti

1000+ Posts

Excellent guys, just what I was after, so its of too the wrechers I go for a set of trailing arms from a series 2 or 3 then. Plus the rotors, calipers, pads and bolts.

Anything else?

And for those that are going before me please share your expereinces with the rest of us, that way you get the recoginotion you deserve and we get to learn too!

Disc brakes would be nice. Then onto some kW from my old girl.

Matt
    1997 S1

1000+ Posts

Excellent guys, just what I was after, so its of too the wrechers I go for a set of trailing arms from a series 2 or 3 then. Plus the rotors, calipers, pads and bolts.

Anything else?

And for those that are going before me please share your expereinces with the rest of us, that way you get the recoginotion you deserve and we get to learn too!

Matt
    1997 S1
    In wonderful nick

1000+ Posts

Pardon the spelling and double post, the server seems a tad slow to me!

VIP Sponsor

Anything else?

Matt
    1997 S1
    In wonderful nick
    Series 3, the series 2 had drums.
    Graham

Hey Matthew , any progress?
    Chris
    205gti

1000+ Posts

None as yet sorry, I have been a tad busy, will try to ring the wreckers tomorrow.

While I am at it, anyone know of a set of trailing arms from a Series 3 in Brisbane?

I gather you have set, may I ask what you paid for them?

Did they come with rotors and calipers, which I would assume they should! Other than that it should all be quite a good job to do. Gives me a chance / opportunity to see how bad my torsion bar bearings are! 16 years on I don't know what to expect! Let me know if you progress at all please!

Matt
    205GTi Red (what other colour is there? At least it matches the carpet and is less shocking to tohers that way!)

To be honest, I wouldn't get hung up on having rear discs. They do bugger all on a 205 anyway. The 205 (S1) track car I recently sold had rear discs and a bias valve. The bias was set approx. 90 front/10 rear.

It's a lot more important, and money well spent, to upgrade the front brakes to 266mm rotors, by using S3 hubs and 206/306 calipers (GTi, GTi6, XSi or Diesel).

You'll also need the larger S3 drive shafts.
    Last edited by PeterT; 2nd February 2005 at 09:52 PM.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    To be honest, I wouldn't get hung up on having rear discs. They do bugger all on a 205 anyway. The 205 (S1) track car I recently sold had rear discs and a bias valve. The bias was set approx. 90 front/10 rear.

It's a lot more important, and money well spent, to upgrade the front brakes to 266mm rotors, by using S3 hubs and 206/306 calipers (GTi, GTi6, XSi or Diesel).

On dirt I find more rear bias really helps, Simon Evans had heaps of rear bias on his F2 cars and look where it got him! He reckons lots of rear bias plus lots of left foot braking plus lots of throttle, and it seems to be good. Maybe on the track where you're able to be more consistent with braking points the front bias is better? Can you fit the bigger fronts in 14"rims? I doon't reckon I can fit 15"rally tyres in the arch...
    Chris
    205gti

None as yet sorry, I have been a tad busy, will try to ring the wreckers tomorrow.

While I am at it, anyone know of a set of trailing arms from a Series 3 in Brisbane?

I gather you have set, may I ask what you paid for them?

Did they come with rotors and calipers, which I would assume they should! Other than that it should all be quite a good job to do. Gives me a chance / opportunity to see how bad my torsion bar bearings are! 16 years on I don't know what to expect! Let me know if you progress at all please!

Matt
    205GTi Red (what other colour is there? At least it matches the carpet and is less shocking to tohers that way!)
    I've got the whole rear from a series3 going in when the cage is done, about 3 weeks. I got it for a good price from BM spares, but they've got no more...
    Chris
    205gti

Peter please correct me if this is wrong, but someone told me that the driveshaft swap from s1,2 to s3 is not as easy as many make it out to be. Something about more or less splines on the driveshaft end? I think they said 27-29 but it was a while ago.
    Series 1 205 Gti

1000+ Posts

I would have to agree, I was ignorant regarding the larger rortors and S3 hubs and drive shafts. I will have a look around for these a I never go on dirt the rear braking will stay as is then, given its only 10 or 20% of total braking force the rear drums will more than cope with it. It was more an exercise in puttin git back as it was designed to be and a good engineering exercise to boot. (afaik European 205's form early on had 4 wheel discs, the drums were to undercut tarrifs here in Australia on 4 wheel disc vehicles. Stupid f'ing pollies) This is of equal challenge.

VIP Sponsor

I would have to agree, I was ignorant regarding the larger rortors and S3 hubs and drive shafts. I will have a look around for these a I never go on dirt the rear braking will stay as is then, given its only 10 or 20% of total braking force the rear drums will more than cope with it. It was more an exercise in puttin git back as it was designed to be and a good engineering exercise to boot. (afaik European 205's form early on had 4 wheel discs, the drums were to undercut tarrifs here in Australia on 4 wheel disc vehicles. Stupid f'ing pollies) This is of equal challenge.
    No, the rear discs where only on the 1.9s which we never got here. Our 1.9s were a 1.6 with detuned 1.9 fitted.
    Graham

The large driveshaft swap is relatively straight forward. You just need series 3 driveshafts and hubs. Then you can bolt on larger calipers and rotors. They will just squeeze under 14" wheels once you've worn the pads down a bit. I used 3mm wheel spacers until then.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

The Series 3 have rear discs. I put these on the series 1 ( I didn't even run the second line, just split at the rear like drums), not for better brakes, but for better brake pedal. After years in 504s with that lovewrly firm pedal I couldn't cop the soggy drum brake pedal. Maybe it was only mine but even with new linings etc it was only 2 laps and the pedal was gone again. Discs feel great by comparison.

Cheers

Jim

The large driveshaft swap is relatively straight forward. You just need series 3 driveshafts and hubs. Then you can bolt on larger calipers and rotors. They will just squeeze under 14" wheels once you've worn the pads down a bit. I used 3mm wheel spacers until then.
    You mean space the wheel out 3 mm further?How much bigger are the front rotors?
    Thanks Peter for very informed and relevant comments!
    205gti

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by casnell
    You mean space the wheel out 3 mm further?How much bigger are the front rotors?
    Thanks Peter for very informed and relevant comments!
    Yes, a 3mm aluminium disc between the wheel and the rotor. You can fit the 266mm rotor, found on heaps of PSA cars, rather than the std. 247mm rotor.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Matthew is a 306 s16 rear suspension sub frame which includes calipars rotors,shocks, trailing arms and torsion bar any use to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information