how to remove the gear knob on my 306
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default how to remove the gear knob on my 306

Hello people, i have just signed up on here, i need to remove the gear knob from my 306 Meridian (manual) but it doesnt seem to unscrew......any ideas (sorry if this is a really silly question!!!!!)

Advertisement

Tadpole

hi, i changed my one in my 306, i was surprised how hard it was to get off. I ended up having to cut it out with a hacksaw! it was fully super glued on to the gear stick which is real rough so it stays on well. good luck getting it off, even better luck getting it off in one piece!

Default Old problem/easy solution

Tip car gentley on to roof, use old blanket so roof doesn't scratch, get some acetone, your girlfriends got some, it's nail polish remover, add few drops to underside of gearknob (careful not too much), wait for a while, twist anti clockwise, no luck, add few drops more acetone, wait a while, twist, no luck.............................repeat until gearknob twists off.........................................easy.

cheers ed ge

Default Gear knob 306

Quote Originally Posted by luketaylor306
    Hello people, i have just signed up on here, i need to remove the gear knob from my 306 Meridian (manual) but it doesnt seem to unscrew......any ideas (sorry if this is a really silly question!!!!!)
    Luke,
    Go back to page 9 on this forum.

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller
    Tip car gentley on to roof, use old blanket so roof doesn't scratch, get some acetone, your girlfriends got some, it's nail polish remover, add few drops to underside of gearknob (careful not too much), wait for a while, twist anti clockwise, no luck, add few drops more acetone, wait a while, twist, no luck.............................repeat until gearknob twists off.........................................easy.

cheers ed ge
    See what you've gotten yourself into here Luke? Your first experience of the wealth of useful information that is available through this forum. A wide range of people available around the clock to provide solutions to your problems, just like this one. I hope you find other information here just as helpful.

I think there has been a post somewhere elsewhere here that addresses the gearknow removal problem. Can't remember if it was for a 306 though . If I rememebr rightly aren't there barbs or something similar holding the knob on?

Anyway welcome to AF

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Ants

yeah there have been a couple of previous threads about hearknob removal on a 306...one started by me many months back

just do a search, and im sure youll find something.

Quote Originally Posted by luketaylor306

It doesnt unscew mate you'll have to pull it up, it'll come out just try

...yeah....it ll just pull up.....just depends how tight it is.....try twisting from one side to other first and then just pull off.....it ll feel like you are about to pull the whole transmission out as the gear stick shfits up and down slightly....don t worry...just keep lifting, but watch your face,.....

cheers

dino

Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller

cheers ed ge
    edgey, it's even less funny the second time around

btw some of the guys down here in adelaide get together for a bit of a drive down to victor harbour or hahndorf for lunch, let me know if you're interested to come along on our next long overdue trip.
    Last edited by jastanis; 28th January 2005 at 05:06 PM.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

At least I snuck it through on Luke for while.

The run idea is good, but the clutch actuator on the '03 is caput and I've to get to my property to source spares before repairs can happen, and/so I am without wheels, should take 7 to 10 days, after that, I'll have a look.

Thanks for the thought, and wasn't it even a little bit funny?

ed ge

Uhmm...

We haven't even planned anything yet. Just seems to me we haven't had a run in ages and the weather is..or was..shaping up nicely. Good luck with the clutch.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Default Adelaide drive

OK I'm in if I'm mobile.

Cheers ed ge

Thread Information