504, 2.3 Diesel problem
  • Register
  • Help

Default 504, 2.3 Diesel problem

My 504, 2.3 Diesel 4 speed manual has developed a rather alarming noise. It is a very metalic clanky sound. I thought at first it was the alternator, so removed the drive belt and drove it. No change. It is slowly getting worse, and I can pin point it now to the back of the engine fly wheel end. Thinking transmission, I have checked the oil level in the gearbox but it is full. The noise is engine driven as at tick over you cannot hear it. With the bonnet open, and raising the engine speed slightly up and down you can hear it. Driving with the window open is very defined!

What can it be, the only driven item is the transmission, I dont know much about them, if it is what could cause this noise? When I am driving if I dip the clutch, it goes.

thanks in advance, Mat.

Advertisement

Default Engine noise

Could be a lot of things! I doubt if it is specifically because it's a diesel. If the noise goes when the clutch is disengaged then it would suggest that the problem lies in the release mechanism or in the gearbox mainshaft, however a loose flywheel could not be ruled out. Alternatively, if the rear main bearing of the crankshaft has a loose cap then a metallic knock is the result. When the load is taken off the crankshaft the noise goes or at least diminishes. I had a Range Rover with this problem. It eventually dropped the cap and you can write the rest! Really, without actually hearing the noise, it's very difficult for anyone to give a useful diagnosis. Take it to a couple of trusted workshops and let the "techncians" hear it. Whatever you do, get a second or third opinion because this could be an expensive job, and don't let the car die! Diesel Peugeots are to valuable to leave this Earth!
    Peter.
    82 Peugeot 505 Turbo Diesel
    78 VW Golf diesel
    80 VW Golf diesel
    84 Nissan Patrol MQ diesel

Don't worry it won't die, as I have spend over 800 GBP over the last six months on parts to restore it. It had been stood in a barn for 10 years unused, but has a very solid rust free body and no welding. 504's in England rusted away a long time ago so she is quite a rare beast.

I have had the main shaft of the gearbox suggested by somebody else, if this is the case i think I would like to swop it out for an auto box. The car started life as a 1.8 petrol auto, but was converted to more economical means when the auto box packed up I'm told.

I guess converting back to auto with the diesel engine wont be too difficult a job as all the bolt holes wires etc should still be in place. If it is the engine I will retain the XD2 (mine has a XD2S head but no blower!), as they are quite common to find here. There are still reasonable amounts of 504 pickup trucks, and Ford Sierra which also used the engine. Not sure about going up to XD3 but 505s are still around and Leyland Daf Vans used it too. I assume the XD3 will go in the 504?

Thread Information