Turbo-306XT
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Turbo-306XT

  1. #1
    Tadpole 98XT306's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sydney-WesternSyd
    Posts
    3

    Icon5 Turbo-306XT

    Hi all,

    i recently purchased a 1998 Pug XT, and was wondering what the most efficient way of squeezing another 50-70hp-minimum out of the motor would be.

    i was thinking of a new exhaust, possibly extractors, or is it only really possible with a turbo?

    and if so, what poundage or bar turbo is suitable for the Peugeots engine?

    in fact, does the peugeot even have room in the engine bay for a bolt-on turbo?

    is there a way to juice more from the cold-air-intake without having to replace intercooler/tanks etc?


    the model is 1998, 306-xt

    1.8L 16V Petrol.

    i have a quite limited technological knowledge of cars in general so,
    any information regarding this problem would be much appreciated.

    Advertisement


    Thanks.

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts CHRI'S16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,298

    Default

    Hi mate, welcome to AF.
    One thing your are probably to hear from us, is that sheers outright grunt (be it from a turbo or NA tuning etc) is not what we would consider the most important thing in a 306.
    The advantage the 306 has over most hatches is its overall quick and compliant handling, the FUN factor rates really hi. So my questino to you is, do you not think its better to improve that rather than spend (waste?) money on a fruitless excercise?.....
    But since you have asked, YES you can turbo a 16V XT, 50-70Hp would require major NA work, Nitrous (wet system) or a turbo install.
    To do it right in either case plan for atleast $10,000... now that might sound like a lot of money, but since you have limited knowledge yourself, you are most probably going to have to pay for someone to do it.
    You seem to like the turbo idea so here is a basic breakdown
    * Afteramarket Computer (eg Haltech, Autronic) $2000 supllied & installed.
    * Turbo itself New $2500 for a T25Gt (or $1000 rebuilt T25)
    * Intercooling (basic air to air) $2000 including pipe work & installation
    * Extras such as injectors, uprated fuel pump, oil/fuel lines at about $1000.
    * Turbo manifold $1000
    * Uprated/replaced and strengthened Clutch $1000/$1500
    * Uprated and strengthend engine mounts give $500 (engine mounts are a weak point in the N5 306).
    All that is assuming you buy carefully and new. With a workshop doing the fitout..... and assuming there is nothing wrong with car now, has timing belt being done yet? how godd has service record being etc.
    Don't forget you will loose some drive ability,as after all it will be a modified car, plus can you afford more for engineers certificate. Will your insurance company allow this mod?...
    I don't mean to sound negative but there is lots to think about. And then you will end up with a car not much quicker than a 200SX (stock one at that).
    Personaly i'd invest money in the best tyres, brakes and suspention you can afford. Maybe even some light weight race wheels and semi-race tyres.. lots of fun there.
    Anyway i highly suggest you do more research. cheers - Chris
    ... ptui!

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts edgedweller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CLARE SA
    Posts
    2,324

    Default

    98xt306, hey fella welcome to assiefrogs.

    You must have felt disappointed reading Chris's reply, but I have to agree with him.

    What these little guys have going for them is handling, braking, position on road, driving response, they are an excellent platform for you to learn driving and mechanical skills.

    Get a workshop manual, do you own servicing, improve the things you can, brakes, tyres, suspension, cold air intake, do-able, affordable and great returns, learn about your car, in a coupla years, what will you be driving next, you'll know how to tune it, how to tweek it and any Pugo will leave you're mates for dead in the twisty bits, that's where driving begins, not at the stop lights, where Mario's dad lent him the SS.

    Cheers ed ge

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts purrr-geot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    melb
    Posts
    4,379

    Default

    O man, someone show him the turbo306 thread.

    Dude, your car is shit slow Live with it, nothing you can do about it really.Whats the most efficient way of squeezing another 50-70hp you ask well, it depends on your definition of efficient, if effiecient means spending more than 5k on your engine then theres ways to do it, to do it well cost alot more than 10k though.

    live with it and be greatful you dont have the 8valve xt, in the mean time save up & get a gti-6.

    peace

  5. #5
    Banned orestes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    4,520

    Default

    if you were going to spend 10k on a 1.8l 16v wouldn't you just be better off finding a V6 out of a 406
    Last edited by orestes; 26th January 2005 at 09:50 AM.

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts CHRI'S16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    if you were going to spend 10k on a 1.8l 16v wouldn't you just be better off finding a V6 out of a 406
    yes...but the handling would be a pig, and its one hell of a tight fit. The 2 V6 306 convertions that I read about all complain on how difficult it is, and servicing later is a pain. But they also comment on loss in dynamics, handling etc. - Chris
    ... ptui!

  7. #7
    Tadpole 98XT306's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sydney-WesternSyd
    Posts
    3

    Icon7

    hey everyone, and thanks for the replies, especially chris,
    youve given me a lot to think about, i didnt realise that turbo charging would cost so much just to squeese such a small amount of HP out of the peugeot engine,

    if i was going to spend 10G modding a car for racing, id do a rear-wheel drive rx-7 or Integra, as the rear-wheel drives ive owned are pretty much better of the mark, but,

    i just love driving the 306 sooooo much-its not for racing though but for my everyday use, such a nice car, but wish it had just that little bit more punch, mainly in the low-range of gears.

    oh well, back to my drawing board..................

    thanks again.

  8. #8
    Banned orestes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    4,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 98XT306
    hey everyone, and thanks for the replies, especially chris,
    youve given me a lot to think about, i didnt realise that turbo charging would cost so much just to squeese such a small amount of HP out of the peugeot engine,

    if i was going to spend 10G modding a car for racing, id do a rear-wheel drive rx-7 or Integra, as the rear-wheel drives ive owned are pretty much better of the mark, but,

    i just love driving the 306 sooooo much-its not for racing though but for my everyday use, such a nice car, but wish it had just that little bit more punch, mainly in the low-range of gears.

    oh well, back to my drawing board..................

    thanks again.

    sell it and buy a GTi6 or an S16, do you really need the 5 doors ?? you can pick up a good S16 for as little as $12k and i've seen Gti-6's for as little as $18k though you'd probably want to spend at least $20k.

    On the other hand, if you want to throw dollars at it your best points of call would be finding a wreacked Xsara VTS coupe, GTi-6, or 406 V6
    Last edited by orestes; 28th January 2005 at 04:42 AM.

  9. #9
    Ants
    Guest

    Default

    you can buy my 1998 306 XSi, 2.0L 16valve, plenty of grunt.

    let me know if ur interested, and we can talk

    Anthony

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts dino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    4,608

    Default

    take an s16 or gti6 for a spin first.....this way you ll get an idea of where you want to go....For those who haven t driven an s16 or gti6...There is a world of difference....not just in the amount of power available,...the general rawness (esp s16) and the even better handling qualities.....Plus the fact that if you trade up ...you ll end up with a genuine car.....non modded that ll retain value better and will be easier to sell in the future.....Really, the xt is downright pedestrian performance wise so an s16 or gti6 will be an eyeopener...ie compare standard 405 to mi16...
    I d go shopping for a test drive first.....


    cheers


    dino

  11. #11
    Tadpole 98XT306's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sydney-WesternSyd
    Posts
    3

    Icon14

    thanks guys,
    ill have to go for a drive in a GTi6, Xsi or an S16 to see what there like performance-wise,

    Anthony, ill msg you, after ive driven 1 to talk and see if you still want to sell/if you havent already sold.

    Cheers.

  12. #12
    Fellow Frogger! slick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dino
    For those who haven t driven an s16 or gti6...There is a world of difference....not just in the amount of power available,...the general rawness (esp s16) and the even better handling qualities....
    On a recent trip down a freeway I took my fully loaded S16 (5 ppl and loaded with lugguage) up to 110km/h and was surprised at the ease of overtaking at those speeds with such a heavy car. It sprinted up to 140 no probs before realising it was double demerits and slowed down. The S16's power is surprising...
    1994 306 S16 sold but not forgotten
    2004 Clio 182 current

  13. #13
    Ants
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 98XT306
    thanks guys,
    ill have to go for a drive in a GTi6, Xsi or an S16 to see what there like performance-wise,

    Anthony, ill msg you, after ive driven 1 to talk and see if you still want to sell/if you havent already sold.

    Cheers.
    no problems dude, im always ready to sell it. it just needs a wash

    its just had the service and everything.

  14. #14
    Tadpole david206180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    someplace called home
    Posts
    25

    Default

    forget what ppl say about what you cant do, If you want to fit the turbo and have the money to spend, just do it and let us all know how you went.

    but
    dont forget you have to slow down and turn the corner. A turbo will fit onto ANY engine with the correct design and strengthning of the internal components and in some cases, a thicker liner and or a more exotic material used. dont use rubbish parts and only get what you cant afford and you should have a reliable engine.

    first up tho, upgrade the suspension, brakes etc and see how you feel about the car. good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by 98XT306
    Hi all,

    i recently purchased a 1998 Pug XT, and was wondering what the most efficient way of squeezing another 50-70hp-minimum out of the motor would be.

    i was thinking of a new exhaust, possibly extractors, or is it only really possible with a turbo?

    and if so, what poundage or bar turbo is suitable for the Peugeots engine?

    in fact, does the peugeot even have room in the engine bay for a bolt-on turbo?

    is there a way to juice more from the cold-air-intake without having to replace intercooler/tanks etc?


    the model is 1998, 306-xt

    1.8L 16V Petrol.

    i have a quite limited technological knowledge of cars in general so,
    any information regarding this problem would be much appreciated.

    Thanks.

  15. #15
    1000+ Posts Stone Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!
    Posts
    1,411

    Default

    There is alot of info on modding Pugs from the UK. Do a web search. I have noticed a few Poms like to push the envelope with the turbo diesel 306 which might be worth your while. Otherwise they mostly turbo the 205gti's donk than anything else. (I have even seen a pic of a 205 with the 406 V6.... insane.)

    You could also do what WRCPUG has done and replaced his engine with a gti6 one. God knows how much THAT cost.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6


    ......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.



    "I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •