Mi16 "check engine" warning light
  • Register
  • Help
    al

Default Mi16 "check engine" warning light

Just driving home and the "check engine" warning light came on. Quite alarmed by this i pulled over and turned it off, and when i turned it back on again it had gone off.

About five minutes later though it came back on briefly before again disappearing.

What is likely to be causing this light to come on? Anywhere more specific to start looking than "engine"...

Advertisement

Hi Al,

I know this does not really help, but they just do that from time to time. Mine does it once in a while it comes on and goes off again a few seconds later.

I think *and this is an educated guess* that it's a sensor sending the ECU some bad information, once the sensor resets I think it clears it up!

Anyhow, thats just my car, but I know a couple of others with the same thing.

Drive On!

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

al

I've noticed that it flicks on and off on trips a bit. A couple of weeks ago it came on after about an hour on the road, but turned off almost immediately. Yesterday it did a similar thing as well.

I'm just worried that it is something really serious... it is a just kinda scary when it appears.

1000+ Posts

Al, the most likely cause is simply a connector on one of the sensors momentarily not connecting properly. Engine vibration can cause this as the connector gets older and the metals inside get dirty and slightly corroded. First thing I'd do is find out where they all are, and wiggle them around to re-make contact. If you want to go further, you could buy contact cleaner from an electronics store and take the plug off and spray them.

The standard Bosch connectors on most of the components are square ones like those on the injectors.
    Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Al,

Have a read of this thread:

K-Light on Mi16

Basically, extract the ECU fault codes (they get stored even though the light goes out) and work from there to find what's going wrong. Unless the fault is really obvious (like a split hose or broken wire) it's hard to find it without the fault codes.

Barry.

mlb

I'm not sure if I shoould mention this here as I may be booed out.

A '91 Magna I had a few years back did a similar thing. The engine light came on for a short while then extinguished itself and wasn't seen again. I thought nothing more of it, putting it down to a loose connection or something. The car continued to run and didn't overheat so I saw no cause for concern. It wasn't until I put it in for its next service and they looked at the fault codes that they found that the oxygen sensor had failed and needing replacing. Something similar may be the case here.

Just a thought anyway. Sorry for mentioning a car that's not French, and from what I gather, none too popular here either.

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Hah, the last time I saw the check engine light in my 205 my radiator was empty

She's still sitting outside without an engine
    -- DJ

This has happened to me a few times years ago when I had an MI. In both cases the plenum drain holes had filled with muck and the ECU was partly under water after rain. The same thing happened with another family members 95 SRI also. Make sure your ECU hasn't been wet to eliminate this possibility.
    OddfireV6
    504 V6 24V, 203

This happens from time to time on my 1989 Mi16. More often that not it is the O2 sensor picking up a bit of dodgy exhaust.

I have been advised to just accelerate out of it. This works, it makes the light go out, every time. When I get the codes checked (forgotten what they are off the top of my head) they point to mixture, and sometimes air flow sensor.

It is worth knowing that to reset the codes, just disconnect the battery for about 15 mins.

Chris

My light also comes on occassionally for a few times then you wont see it for weeks. I was told by a Pug workshop here that a sensor is working at ithe edge of its tolerances. Could be bad/wrong fuel, a sensor ageing etc or even a combination of things. Bear in mind that it is an orange light which is an advisory indicator that something's not 100% as opposed to a red light which is stop, get out and check.

Decca
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

al

Thanks all for the advice. I'l go check out a few of the things mentioned.

I've noticed it generally comes on in hot weather, and as the cooling system is perfect (for the moment anyway) not stressed too much as it generally goes off again shortly.

Thread Information