moisture, muffler BANG :D
  • Register
  • Help

Default moisture, muffler BANG :D

Well ok.. just washed my precious 505 STI quite systematically after a long trip away.

Then would you believe a day later I get in and drove it 5 mins down the road to the pub. At this point I wonder of through the pub looking for my mates as one does, and shortly leave realising wallet is somewhere other then in my pocket.

So back to car... not in car...

"Has to be at home I triumfently declare!!"
    And get in the cockpit ready to rumble of back down the road.

But I try and turn the old gal over..
    "NananNanananaNananana POP"

?????

"NanananNananaNanana POP!!!"

"Hmmmm I say.. sounds like moisture in my dizzy! But how the hell did it happen that I was ale to start it the first time and drive here without any problems. ??"

Back in side I wonder quizzically to pass on the conundrum over the bar..

"Nah your just aint giving it any Gas", a rowdy fella pipes up..

"Its injected"

"Nah yeah look. where is she.." And out we march with ale's in hand (I still don’t know who’s I managed to pick up) and in flank we corner the 05.

Old matey here gets in and winds her on.

"NananaNannAnananaNanananNananaNananaNNananaNa na"
    ???
    "Hmmm maybe I flooded it", he pipes up.

"NananannananaNAananaNananaNanananANAnanananNAnana NananaNanan BANG

Birds flutter, Dogs Bark, Babies Cry, Woman Gasp... The boys are chuckling

Advertisement

The only victim of course in this story is the Primary Muffler which now has quite a large opening on the right hand side

So up goes the bonnet.. I fiddle getting the dizzy off, spray a gulping of Liquid Grease, struggle for 20min getting the dam back on and drive home thundering nature with a lovely gargle.

Now how the hell did that manage to happen, not the muffler collapsing against the exhaust pressure, but me being able to drive it away in the first place.. stop for 10mins then have my contacts wet..

It got me beet.. or even beat.

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

13 views and yet no sensible answer, so here goes.
    Your mates....not in the pub....out in car park ramming potato over said exhaust?

definately sounds like somone has stuck something up your exshuast...

when i was a little tacker (6 or 7 years old) i used to put pebles or whatever else i could find up my grand fathers RX4's exshaust

you'd here the car turn over a few pops, and then BANG ! as whatever you stuck up there flew out the exhaustr

ofcourse i know a lot better now...
    Last edited by orestes; 25th January 2005 at 11:01 PM.

My guess is that it may have been initially caused by moisture in the dissy. Think about it; it starts, gets warm, the moisture in the bottom of the dissy begins to rise like vapour and the conductive moisture settles across all the things it shouldn't.
    It then allows petrol to get into the exhaust system as it hasn't been burning it all, the engine spins and eventually fires and if you have an EGR valve fitted and it is leaking allowing oxygen/air back into the exhaust system, it ignites and as it's in a muffler, a sizeable space, and when ignited, has to go through a restricted space, the tailpipe, it takes the least course of resistence (ie) blows the muffler to the $#!+house....end of story.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

nJm

When I was looking at buying a car I briefly looked at the E30 BMW 318i. I can't remember if those have K-jet or L-jet, but one owner told me never to touch the throttle while starting it as it would blow a hole in the exhaust.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

cheers Alan..

Wasn't aware such could happen, Thank you.

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Default EXHAUST RESTRICTIONS & ENTERTAINMENT FOR OTHERS

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    definately sounds like somone has stuck something up your exshuast...

when i was a little tacker (6 or 7 years old) i used to put pebles or whatever else i could find up my grand fathers RX4's exshaust

you'd here the car turn over a few pops, and then BANG ! as whatever you stuck up there flew out the exhaustr

ofcourse i know a lot better now...

It's even better when you use a pink rubber kithcen glove and attach it with cable ties and duct tape over the exhaust.

The car starts fine - as the glove inflates -quite often to the size of a small pig bouncing behind the car. On lookers and other drivers point and wave and children laugh.

Finally the gloves explodes and the driver near sh*ts himself.

I know -the b*stards at my last job did it to 504 TI.

Default Muffler Bang

If the accelerator is "pumped" on the K Jetronic system, with ign on,or attempting start, it will have the same effect as an accelerator pump on a carburettor. Excess fuel will cause flooding and 'wetting' plugs. No start!
    This advice was always written in the owners glovebox manual.

On later Bosch systems and others this won't happen.

Thread Information