306 Xsi Rookie!! Help!
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon10 306 Xsi Rookie!! Help!

Aloha all Peugeot peepz downunder and up!
    I am very new in terms of the Euro car scene but have been invloved with modified Jap cars all my life, previously owned R33 Skyline, Civic type R, Mx-5, Mirage turbo... Nuff said, I am seeking some knowleadge on a newly purchased 96 306 XSI! I am sure the great peepz here are able to help!

1. What are my engine specs? I know it's a 2 litre manual, is it a 8 V or 16V?
    DOHC or SOHC?
    2. Type of Air filter? and is that easy to replace? it looks like it's situated on the engine, not sure how to open that black box.
    3. The gear knob has a strange pattern, am I able to find a sporty knob from places like "super cheap Auto"or "Repco"?

4. One thing I am disgust about is the exhaust sound/ or lack of, so I am looking at replacing the back box or the center exhaust, which one would you recommend to get rid of to improve the sound and performance? A Koby exhaust should do the job?

5. It is a very quick car and I am liking it, and thinking abour lowering it, I understand suspension does not exist in the rear, what do I do with those?

Thanks a million....
    From a ROOKIE PUGGY

Advertisement

Welcome to AussieFrogs!

'96 Model XSi's were the N3 body and had a 8v engine. During 97 they swapped to the N5 body and a 16v. Check the 306 Timeline Sticky - great thread for those baffled by the array of 306's around.

You can take the top of the "Black Box" filter easy enough with the right Torx wrenchs. The filter element is just sitting inside there obviously. Do a search for "306 air" and you should see a lot of threads regarding changing the air supply to these cars but most seem to agree that while a better filter element might give a bit better performance, most other mods give you a nice induction noise but not much else...an area of debate though.

Rear suspension is a torsion bar setup. I don't know much more then that but I have been warned strongly off lowering as the effect on the cars great handling can be a bit troubling - again an area of contension though.

Hope that helps (and I got my facts straight...)
    '97 N5 306 XSi - Blaze Gold

Quote Originally Posted by DJDOOWOP
    Aloha all Peugeot peepz downunder and up!
    I am very new in terms of the Euro car scene but have been invloved with modified Jap cars all my life, previously owned R33 Skyline, Civic type R, Mx-5, Mirage turbo... Nuff said, I am seeking some knowleadge on a newly purchased 96 306 XSI! I am sure the great peepz here are able to help!

1. What are my engine specs? I know it's a 2 litre manual, is it a 8 V or 16V?
    DOHC or SOHC?
    2. Type of Air filter? and is that easy to replace? it looks like it's situated on the engine, not sure how to open that black box.
    3. The gear knob has a strange pattern, am I able to find a sporty knob from places like "super cheap Auto"or "Repco"?
    4. One thing I am disgust about is the exhaust sound/ or lack of, so I am looking at replacing the back box or the center exhaust, which one would you recommend to get rid of to improve the sound and performance? A Koby exhaust should do the job?

5. It is a very quick car and I am liking it, and thinking abour lowering it, I understand suspension does not exist in the rear, what do I do with those?

Thanks a million....
    From a ROOKIE PUGGY
    Welcome mate...
    here's some insight, coments etc.
    1. Its a 8v sohc
    2. The filter is a panel type, however with cars like these, spend your money elsewere, there is nothing to be had by just going for a different filter. BMC/Kindragon/K&N do re-usable units but give no real gain. Outright engine tuning is not the point of these cars.
    3. The gear pattern is standard H pattern, nothing strange about that. You can find a knob in supercheap, but that's what you will end up with, a knob, if you must change it get quality, I recomend Sparco.
    4. ...again this not the point of these cars, but a nice Remus would be best. Keeps it in theme and not to loud, just nice. Please don't put a rice chrome dome fart box on.
    5. It has suspention in the rear, its called a trailing arm tortion bar set-up and any descent peugeot dealer can adjust it for you, but as xsited has noted, it won't improve handling, expect a loss in overall dynamics. - Chris

ps, this is a purely subjective view, so take that as you will.
    ... ptui!

Thread Information