Removing 505 window winders
  • Register
  • Help
    nJm

Default Removing 505 window winders

The rear doors in my 505 have never been opened up before, and the locks and windows are getting a bit stiff so it is time to get in there and lubricate everything.

Advertisement

My problem is I can't get the manual window winders off. The Haynes manual has this lovely little photo of someone pulling a piece of cloth up behind the winder, saying this will release the metal clip. I've tried this but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Suggestions are very welcome!

Also, what should I lubricate the window mechanism/guides with? The fronts could probably do with something too, as they don't go up and down that smoothly anymore (although motors still seem fairly strong).
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by nJm
    The rear doors in my 505 have never been opened up before, and the locks and windows are getting a bit stiff so it is time to get in there and lubricate everything.

My problem is I can't get the manual window winders off. The Haynes manual has this lovely little photo of someone pulling a piece of cloth up behind the winder, saying this will release the metal clip. I've tried this but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Suggestions are very welcome!
    I've used the method that Hayne's suggests and found it to work a charm. The cloth goes between the handle and the spacer, not against the door trim. You may need to double the cloth to increase its thickness, as well as make sure it curves around the shaft a bit to pull out the sides of the clip. Once you first do it you'll think holy [email protected], what a good idea. That's so easy

Also, what should I lubricate the window mechanism/guides with? The fronts could probably do with something too, as they don't go up and down that smoothly anymore (although motors still seem fairly strong).
    I've just been using a spray on silicone for all the linkages etc. Seems to work well.

On another note, whilst you have the door trims off, you may as well clean out the door drains, as mine were rather blocked with 22 years of accumulated gunk. Also it might pay to take the external handles off and clean them up. The pin for the actuator that operates the latch is only mild steel and can rust up making the handle stiff. I've stripped all my external handles off and gave them a good clean up and silicon. Because it is a real pain to dismantle your door everytime a small job comes up. You might as well do them in one hit, whether they're needed yet or not.

Hope this helps

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

The Haynes manual has this lovely little photo of someone pulling a piece of cloth up behind the winder, saying this will release the metal clip. I've tried this but it doesn't seem to do anything.
    This is how you do it. I have done it many times. If you push in the door trim slightly you will see the rounded end of the clip. The rag needs to be put in the opposite end to the rounded end. Pull both ends of the rag up towards the rounded end making sure the rag is between the handle and the trim and pull up and down on the ends gently. The clip should come off easily. Persevere.

Once you have the trims off undo the bolts on the window winder mech. with the mech inside the door you need to slide it back or forward until separates from the metal section holding the glasss in. Once it is separated both section can be removed from the door. Clean and regrease all moving parts. You can also adjust the tension on the spring. It should be set so it requires the same effort to wind up or down.

It is one of those jobs thats a pain the first time you do it but once you get the knack of it, it's not so bad.

Good Luck

Jarrod

Default Removing 505 winders

Quote Originally Posted by jarrods
    This is how you do it. I have done it many times. If you push in the door trim slightly you will see the rounded end of the clip. The rag needs to be put in the opposite end to the rounded end. Pull both ends of the rag up towards the rounded end making sure the rag is between the handle and the trim and pull up and down on the ends gently. The clip should come off easily. Persevere.

Once you have the trims off undo the bolts on the window winder mech. with the mech inside the door you need to slide it back or forward until separates from the metal section holding the glasss in. Once it is separated both section can be removed from the door. Clean and regrease all moving parts. You can also adjust the tension on the spring. It should be set so it requires the same effort to wind up or down.

It is one of those jobs thats a pain the first time you do it but once you get the knack of it, it's not so bad.

Good Luck

Jarrod
    Jarrod,
    There is a tool available from of all places, Big W auto or K Mart. $6-$8.
    Of course the rag idea works well.

While you have the door panels off lubricate everything that moves as previously suggested. Drown the door lock mechanism with oil. I had one seize up preventing the door from closing. The original grease had turned to cheese.
    Give the inner doors and the window elevators a generous coating of fish oil or Tectyl Wax. The car will stink for a while but it's worth it.

Thread Information