505 bad brake noise
  • Register
  • Help

Default 505 bad brake noise

Wondering if anyone could give me some advice my brakes are making that horrible sound a truck/bus makes when braking in reverse, the pads seem to be in good nic so iam unsure maybe the brakes are dragging. ?

the car only does in when you slow down by braking softly any ideas ?

Advertisement

Plz help i want to drive my car again iam stuck driving my parents and dad is on holidays so i cant get him to help me

its a 505 gti so disc brakes
    "Best Signature Ever Inserted Here"

Default 505 brake noise

Quote Originally Posted by Tiop
    Wondering if anyone could give me some advice my brakes are making that horrible sound a truck/bus makes when braking in reverse, the pads seem to be in good nic so iam unsure maybe the brakes are dragging. ?

the car only does in when you slow down by braking softly any ideas ?

Plz help i want to drive my car again iam stuck driving my parents and dad is on holidays so i cant get him to help me

its a 505 gti so disc brakes
    Tiop,
    Have you had your pads checked lately?
    If they are getting thin they will tend to be resonant? and noisy.
    If they are worn out, well....
    If the pads are in good condition things may improve by applying PBR pad adhesive to the rear [metal] side of the pad. Deglaze the discs with emery cloth when you have the wheels off.

One last thing, buy a can of brake cleaner, Supercheap or Repco etc. Spray through the wheels onto the discs and calipers, spray the rear of the discs and calipers also

ok thx dude will try the emerycloth tonight and if does it tommorow ill try the spray

I don't know what the noise is... a squeal? You don't say...

If it is, take the pads out of the calipers and smear a little moly grease on them where they contact the piston and the frame of the caliper. That's where the noise comes from.

Tiop, on 504's the disc tend to cut into the pad below the pads top arch and on a quick glance you see plenty of pad meat, closer inspection may show that this is only thin external crust and pads may be very low. If I could draw in this medium I could show you what I mean, hopefully I've described it well enough so that you have a closer inspection.

cheers ed ge

You mean that the pads tend to wear in a taper and there might be metal to metal at the other end?

Thought of that, but we don't really know what noise he's getting... I think it better to sort that out first.

Ray, not a taper, a step, top looks fat under step pad is thin!

Default 505 brake noise

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    You mean that the pads tend to wear in a taper and there might be metal to metal at the other end?

Thought of that, but we don't really know what noise he's getting... I think it better to sort that out first.
    Ed Gedweller's point was well put along with his description of the pad to disc relationship.
    To put it another way, the pads may slightly overlap the outer diameter of the disc. A visual check could give the impression of plenty of tucker left on the pads!

PS Tiop referred to me as "dude" in his earlier reply. Where does that put me in the order of things? Will I now have to wear my cap backwards, lower the crutch of my jeans and fit led's to the no plate on my 504?

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    PS Tiop referred to me as "dude" in his earlier reply. Where does that put me in the order of things? Will I now have to wear my cap backwards, lower the crutch of my jeans and fit led's to the no plate on my 504?
    As well as start every sentence with 'Yo', refer to us all as 'Homies', and more importantly just 'Keep it real'.
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

i apoligise MR Wildebeest and i thank you again for ur help,

the noise is not so much a squeel but a grinding noise like what discs do after being washed and get that surface rust from say sitting before going for a drive, trucks make similar noise when braking particularly in reverse i can explain it no other way but i have rarely if every heard a car with discs do it before. and with such servarity

Grinding noise = pads worn out... nothing more or less.

Edgey... I've never seen pads that overlapped the edge of the disc except pads that weren't the right one for that application. I had this with my 404 with Humber Vague calipers... they met in the middle and stopped me stopping, if you know what I mean. Had to cut the tops off the pad material in subsequent pad replacements.

Ray

Yeah that's the sort of thing, this on hybrid rears on '03.
    And as you say from sound sympton, grinding low/no pads.

ed ge

While you are at it check the slides and rubbers.

I had the callipers off my SII yesterday (general look-see after handbrake actuator ceased the other day), and much to my surprise The rubbers were knackered.
    The slides were scuffed at certain contact points.
    Heat stroke , no spares and the need to indulge in Aust day drinkies forced me to do a quick clean, rubber grease and re-assemble.
    Can the slides be lightly rubbed with 0000 steel wool to remove scuffing, (the 50cent solution) or do I bite the bullet and replace the slides (and rubbers).
    Is there a problem with the "outer" wearing???

Point of story----slight intermittent grinding noise (not worrying) is now gone. (Suspect slight binding of metallic pads)

The "clunk" in the front end on RH corners remains.
    No it is not ball joints or tie rod ends or caster bushes or control arm bushes or sway-bar mounts or wheel bearings or engine mounts or steering rack bolts or torque shaft to gear box bolts or misaligned coil spring or the work of demons in the either (although I am about to consult the entrails of some unfortunate creature in order to find the cause or Bill (suggests shockie not seating in strut).
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Yes, I've had that one... like a rattle, really...

new pads then maybe i should pull them off and hve a "closer" inspection or just buy them and if i dont need them i will or dad will lol

Yes, I've had that one... like a rattle, really...
    More a firm clunk when turning right hand corners. The front end needs to take up some load before it will make the noise. It does not happen at lower speeds and requires a short straight travel to "re-set" before another RH cnr will bring on the clunk again. The steering is smooth and no amount of heaving the wheel at rest will bring on the "clunk".

It sounds and feels like a lower control arm bush failure....checked and is OK.
    The noise is being transfered through to the main body of the car and appears to come from the front centre to left.

Otherwise the cars handeling is fine and no unusal things noticed.

Help!!!!
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90

Slop in the steering rack?

Slop in the steering rack?
    Is this adjustable.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90

Quote Originally Posted by Tiop
    the noise is not so much a squeel but a grinding noise like what discs do after being washed and get that surface rust from say sitting before going for a drive, trucks make similar noise when braking particularly in reverse i can explain it no other way but i have rarely if every heard a car with discs do it before. and with such servarity
    Hey Tiop, the front pads on my 505 produce a grinding noise/feel under certain braking situations, mainly when doing a firm prolonged brake to a stop (like when I leave it a bit late before starting to brake when coming off a freeway off-ramp).

My discs and pads were both brand new when I noticed the noise, and they'd been installed by my mechanic. I took it back to him to get it checked out, and he said that he couldn't find a problem with them, and it was most likely a problem with the new compounds used in brake linings since asbestos was banned.

I think I've had the new pads and discs in for about a year, and I still occasionally get the grinding noise. It hasn't really affected my braking performance though so I've just learnt to live with it and back off a bit if it does happen.

Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

Thread Information