Air Con
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Air Con

Default Air Con

Today, I was driving long, actually going to pick up my new business cards. It started to rain, so I put the windows up, turned on the aircon, and the hottest of hot air blew out of the vents. seriously hot. I felt as though i was touching and engine.

Anyway, I have not had a good look at it. But I am thinking a few things.
    1. Fuse
    2. Temp control is broken
    3. Belt??
    4. Compressor

Lets hope its the first two.

Advertisement

pips
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

The software said "Windows 98 or better". So I installed Linux.

1990 405 Mi16

Dear Pips,

One thing that had me briefly scratching my had when I first got the MI 16 about 9 years ago was the need to turn the air-con to external air source (rather than recirculating) in order to defog the screen during rain in humid conditions.

As far as your hot air problem goes, I think the water flow to the 405 heater matrix is constant (I could be entirely wrong). Whether you end up having heating or cooling in the cabin is determined by a small module attached to an electric motor that contains a couple of drive gears that power the flaps in the heater box. The gears in this module are plastic and prone to having either their drive or their teeth strip necessitating a replacement (I remember reading an account that was described in the Pugilist of someone going to great lengths to repair the gear drive using high tech dental adhesives). I understand this is a relatively common fault.

About 2 years ago our MI 16 developed a recurrent, intermittent "whirr-grind-click" noise in the dash and eventually we had no cooling. The module was replaced - about $150-$200 including labour, if I recall correctly, and all was right with the world. The car has a ferocious air con that I can barely tolerate when it is on full blast.

I hope this might be of some help

Maurice

Thanks for that.

So essentially what you are saying is that I should be looking around the temperature adjustment knob circuit? That sounds about right to me. I had a funny feeling about this because regardless of the aircon button being on or off, its just blowing hot, stinking hot air.

If you left your hand in its wake, it could easily be compared to a hot air hair dryer. I couldn't handle holding my hand up to the vent.

Ah well, we shall see how we go,

Yet another thing thats popped up, pushing all the other things to fix further down the list.

Thanks
    pips
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

The software said "Windows 98 or better". So I installed Linux.

1990 405 Mi16

Thread Information