"XNA 504" no. plates available.
  • Register
  • Help

Default "XNA 504" no. plates available.

Due to my move to NZ, my NSW back and yellow number plates "XNA 504" will be available when my car runs out of rego on the 12th of March.

If anyone wants these plates they can have them. I don't want money for them, but I would like them to go to a dedicated 504 and XN engine enthusiast. There is a catch. The NSW RTA rules have changed. Even though these are standard old format black and yellow plates, because they are a superseded format, anyone who transfers these plates to their car (apart from my family members -a loophole due to change soon) will now have to pay a $100 per year fee and a one off $174 order fee (even though the plates are already made ). All I ever had to pay was the initial order fee. I also think (but am not sure) that anyone who wants these will also have to transfer them to their car before mine runs out of rego on the 12th of March.

Advertisement

Personally I wouldn't pay $100 per year just to have a number plate which corresponded to my car, but somebody else might. Now that these are a sueprseded format they are extra unique. The RTA no longer allows people to request a particular number plate to be made in the black and yellow 3 letter and 3 number format. Once this plate is handed in, it will be gone forever.

Dave
    Last edited by davemcbean; 24th January 2005 at 04:03 PM.
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Fellow Frogger!

Where abouts are you moving to in NZ?

504's aren't too difficult to find here, I bought my manual 504 Ti for $850 in 2003, admittedly the clutch was fairly gone on it.

I just sold it a couple of months back with some suspension/steering and minor rust work needed for the WoF (roadworthy) for $1000.

However I think the difference is I read about there being 504/505s sitting in wreckers in Australia, from my experience that is unheard of here and you need to track parts down yourself somehow.

This is all assuming you intend on getting into 504's here of course, if you do I'll give you the number of a guy who has parts, even the official factory assembly line instructions from when they were assembled here in Thames.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Dave

you are deserting us ????

I can only hope she is worth it
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    Where abouts are you moving to in NZ?

Hi Louis,

I've just moved to Christchurch. I flew in last tuesday and have just moved into a 1 bedroom flat in Linwood, about 10 minutes walk east of the centre of the city.

504s and 505s certainly seem to be rare on the roads here. I've run across one on the road, a 504 TI. I spoke to the bloke who owns it and he's not planning to renew the WOF when it's due in a few weeks. It was pretty straight and fairly rust free and it had a factory sunroof and power steering.

It's funny there's been quite a few 504s and 505s advertised for sale in Canterbury on the net in the south island trader over the last month, even though I've only seen one on the road. Weird. There's supposedly a good one for sale at the moment. A 76TI with new tyres, starter, battery and WOF, for $1250. There were two 505 wagons for sale a week ago. One for $900 and another for $2100 and there were a few 504 and 505wrecks for sale around christmas time.

Thanks for your offer of help with contacts, etc. You don't know anybody in the south island by any chance?

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    Dave

you are deserting us ????

I can only hope she is worth it

Thankfully the decision was completely my own.

I'm glad to be away from the muggy weather, never ending views of gum trees and I no longer have to be looking out for snakes in every patch of grass or mulch when I ride or walk off road. It's like moving to heaven.

I don't think celtic bodies like mine are setup for Australia. I think this last week has been the first time I've been able to get a good nights sleep during summer since, umm, the last time I was here. Actually, I tell a lie. Summer in England was pretty good for getting a good nights sleep aswell, but then again, in England you have the birds chirping and carrying on as soon as the sun gets up, at something like 4 am. Christchurch seems like a pretty ideal cross between England and Australia, with the added bonus of low population, reliable agriculture and water, and electricity which comes from the energy of falling water, rather than fossil fuels. It's also a pretty nice place to ride a bike around.

I'll miss the documentaries on the ABC and SBS. Funnily enough there's actually 8 free to air TV channels in Christchurch!

I wasn't expecting Christchurch to have more free channels than Sydney, but when you take out the Maori channel, the Music channel and the Christian channel, there's really only 5 channels and they don't have much more variety than the 3 commercial networks in Sydney (Canterbury television does show some overseas news programs ala SBS). There doesn't seem to be any equivalent of Newsradio, Radio National or 2BL here either. Oh well. I guess you can't have everything.

Dave
    Last edited by davemcbean; 30th January 2005 at 01:59 PM.
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

Quote Originally Posted by davemcbean
    The NSW RTA rules have changed. Even though these are standard old format black and yellow plates, because they are a superseded format, anyone who transfers these plates to their car (apart from my family members -a loophole due to change soon) will now have to pay a $100 per year fee and a one off $174 order fee (even though the plates are already made ).
    I've been thinking (yeah, I know, it's scary ).

Anyone who wants these plates may possibly be able to get around the $100 yearly fee by buying my car for a nominal feee ($1?), transfering the plates to another car, then selling my car back to me for a nominal fee. You will, however have to pay stamp duty on the offical value of the car (which is unfortunately something like $3000 even though such a car would never get that price these days).

Just a thought.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Hiya Dave, sounds like you've settled in ok!!

When I spoke to you on the phone before you left you said that "I might be back in three months if it doesn't work out..." But if you're unloading your precious number plates you must be pretty confident that you'll be staying!

Whatever you do, keep on froggin'.

John
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by peujohn

Whatever you do, keep on froggin'.
    Thanks John. Will do.
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

Oh and Dave, remember talk slowly and through your teeth eh!

Saw a nice piece in todays SMH: grafitti on Bondi :

" Australia sux...................New Zealand yet to score".

bon chance

phil

Bump!
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

Thread Information