Headlight Upgrade 405 srtd
  • Register
  • Help

Default Headlight Upgrade 405 srtd

I would like to enhance my ligthing as I do a lot of night driving in the country.
    I have thought about buying spotlights, or using a better quality headlight bulb.
    If anyone has experiece with the above I would appreciate some advice.
    Cheeres LuLu

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by LuLu
    I would like to enhance my ligthing as I do a lot of night driving in the country.
    I have thought about buying spotlights, or using a better quality headlight bulb.
    If anyone has experiece with the above I would appreciate some advice.
    Cheeres LuLu
    Yes. You can fit 80/100 or 80/130 halogen globes. You might need to upgrade the wiring for 80/130. Just fit a relay on each headlamp, on the high beam side.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

easiest way and cheapest is putting in 'plus 50' light bulbs. Philips make them ( may be other brands but be careful about how they are rated).
    These bulbs give out 50% more light and I put them in my 405 and found them very good. I replaced the high/low beam ones and the high beam driving light that is mounted next in same headlight assembly. Take care with the driving light ones as I found it easy to install it upside down. check by seeing height of beam compared to high/low beam when shone on the garage door.

Re the putting in the larger wattage globes...
    A 100watt incandescent light bulb only gives 10 to 15% more light output than a 50watt. ( not sure of the difference for normal halogen bulbs) so there is not much gain for double the current drain plus you may need relays and extra wiring to take the strain off the light switch and wiring.

The advantage of the 'plus 50' bulb option is that the light output gained is high considering for the same power consumption and no wiring modifications.

Decca
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

Default 100 WATT h1 DRIVERS

Lulu,
    I have the Plus 50 hi-lo bulbs and find them very effective. I have also tried a 100Watt H1 bulb in the integral driving lights without relays or wiring upgrades with good results and as far as I can see no detrimental effects.

I believe that proper heavy duty wiring and separate relays would give even better results with the 100 Watt globes.

Also make sure your lights are properly adjusted. First make sure that the built-in adjusters are set to their highest position. I generally find that the lights are adjusted too low for good high beam perfomance and for town drivers the low-beam perfomance is probably not an issue either with the beams pointed too low. To get good high beam performance you have to have the beams aimed at the vanishing point on a straight road not at the road 50 or 100 metres in front. This will also mean optimal low-beam performance which is just as important on the open road also as you can easily end up doing 100 Kph on low beam when following other traffic or with oncoming traffic and the last thing you want in this situation is for the low beam to be only illuminating the road 50 metres in front!

See my post in the thread on headlight adjustment for details

cheers
    Trevor Hoare
    Boolarra Vic

'95 405Mi16 - what a great car! ; 89 405 ( for my daughter )
    previously 205Si, 504Ti, HR wagon with R16 seats, R16, R10, VW kombi, VW passat, HQ panel van, FB panelvan, Rover'49 P3 4-light

Thanks for the info. I will go for the Plus 50 Hi Lo bulbs so as not to worry about upgrading wiring etc.
    Thanks also to Trevh for the setting info. When on low beam with the adjustments set to the highest level would this not pose a problem for oncomming trafic?
    LuLu

Trevh,
    interesting that you have had no troubles with 100 watters in your driving lights.
    My 95 405 presumably has the same gauge wiring feeding the headlamps as yours does. The wire gauge doesnt look that robust to carry 8 to 9 amps for 100 watts. If the wiring heats up, its resistance increases and therefore voltage reaching the bulb is down.
    Any chance you have measured the voltage at the bulb, and... are the 100 watters available as a plus 50 version?

Decca
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

Fellow Frogger!

Remember there are 2 different kinds of headlamps fitted to the 405 & the wiring is slighlty different for both.

Single vision & twin vision with the built in main beam driving light.

Single vision for the low spec cars

Only the sporty & high spec cars get the twin vision lights
    2003 Pug 206 GLX TU3JP

Default 405 headlights

xenon bulbs, such as Plus-50, give a very white light - fantastic for range / clarity. Going over 55W globes not worth it, even for H1 high-beams.

In my experience more effective than standard halogen 100W'ers.

On top of all that advise, I highly recommend you remove the headlight (easy, just be patient) and clean/blow/wipe the inside if the lenses, when I was doing several late night trips to the southern highlands in my S16 it made a noted difference.
    I also fitted after market driving ligths on the car and aimed them low, and wide, which made the near and mid field view's much better, the hi-beam in the S16 is similar to the 405 and its not too bad, but better with those bulbs, I used NARVA ones, but there is justifiable argument that the phillips are better. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Fellow Frogger!

No need to remove the headlamp assy, The lense is only held on with 6 metal spring clips & is removed easily.

I would also clean the earth points up behind each headlamp on the inner wings.
    2003 Pug 206 GLX TU3JP

Thread Information