Should I wait to buy 307 diesel?
  • Register
  • Help
    drx
    Tadpole

Default Should I wait to buy 307 diesel?

Am looking for a wagon (need more space!) to replace a 1996 Golf. The new Golf TDi is fun, but no wagon and I nearly bought a 306 last time anyway. The current 2.0L Hdi Touring could use a little more power, tho we enjoyed 7 weeks in France with a diesel 206 last year.

Advertisement

So, after I found that the Kiwis have this:
    http://www.peugeot.co.nz/Discover/Me...?ArticleID=114
    Peugeot Australia told me that the 1.6L diesel 307 Touring was expected in April. Is 80kW instead of 60. But the dealers seem pretty shy to discuss the new one , so am trying to decide if i should try to buy a current 2.0L or wait for the 1.6L (or even a new 2.0L).

Anyone driven the 1.6L Touring or know a bit more about what's coming?

Sounds great. More power, more torque, better availability, less fuel. I have the current hdi 307 touring and it is great but I would consider waiting in your case. Even better, hope that they bring out some of the higher spec 2.0 l engines (but I doubt they will). Over 100 kw of power, about 300nm torque and bugger all more fuel consumption than the current 2.0.

I think sime darby aust would be stupid not to bring in the newre diesel variants with the new golf and A3 out on the market.

would be nice to see the intercooled 2.0L version here ...
    Then - 2001 206 Gti
    Now - 2000 306 Gti6
    Now - 1974 GS 1220 Club

XTC

Do we know when the rules on low sulphur diesel comes into play, several of the diesel marques has stated they won't bring in the high HP models until this is in place.

Then I think all concerns on performance will be alleviated and the "D" will be back in fashion.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

nJm

Is this already in effect? I test drove a Golf 2.0 TDi a few months ago. It really is a fantastic engine. It has about 103kw and 320nm. They also offer a lower tech 1.9L diesel.

European reports indicate the new PSA 1.6L Hdi is much better than the old 2L we have. Meant to be a lot more refined.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

LSD has been available from BP servo's for a while now, over two years anyway. You can even buy Ultra LSD from some Sydney servo's.

Manufacturers aren't bringing in diesels simply because there is a very small market here for them.

drx
    Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by nJm
    Is this already in effect? I test drove a Golf 2.0 TDi a few months ago. It really is a fantastic engine. It has about 103kw and 320nm. They also offer a lower tech 1.9L diesel.

European reports indicate the new PSA 1.6L Hdi is much better than the old 2L we have. Meant to be a lot more refined.
    I agree. Also drove the Golf 2.0 TDi a couple of weeks ago. Brilliant, especially from 2nd gear up (just need the wagon!) The current Peugeot turbo in the Touring doesnt get going until 3rd, which is why I am hoping the new Peugeot 1.6 will be like the Golf's. Apparently has a variable-valve (?) turbo like the Golf that makes it mcuh smoother and widens the torque range...

Still, might be some bargain priced 2.0L Touring demos around. I have seen the same two demo Touring's advertised for 4 weeks in Brisbane, so maybe a lot of people are waiting for the new ones?

drx
    Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by touring?
    Sounds great. More power, more torque, better availability, less fuel. I have the current hdi 307 touring and it is great but I would consider waiting in your case. Even better, hope that they bring out some of the higher spec 2.0 l engines (but I doubt they will). Over 100 kw of power, about 300nm torque and bugger all more fuel consumption than the current 2.0.
    Thanks for the advice. Maybe I will wait, as I might say the wrong thing to the dealer anyway. Here's a bloke placing advance orders for cars (lots of diesels he admits) and he says he doesnt know whether the 1.6L will be coming. I didnt confront him with the fact that Peugeot had told me it definitely was going to be here in 3 months. However, I was pretty annoyed that he wouldnt answer a direct question. I know these guys have to sell cars, but I would probably have bought the 2.0L (for a reaonable price) that day if he'd been straight about it. Maybe i should use a broker instead? Anyone tried that for a Peugeot?

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    Do we know when the rules on low sulphur diesel comes into play, several of the diesel marques has stated they won't bring in the high HP models until this is in place.

Then I think all concerns on performance will be alleviated and the "D" will be back in fashion.

- xTc -
    I thought it was 1 January 2005. At least to bring the levels in line with those mandated in europe.
    '02 Renaultsport Clio
    '69 MGB Mk II (Group S race car)

Tadpole

Default SO has anyone bought one?

We are looking into a new car early next year and the golf looks good (i'm a vee dub nut) but the pug is a wagon and that's what my wife wants. I have to say I'd be happier with one too.

how big is the 307 on the inside?
    to they have any issues that anyone knows of?
    what are they like for towing?
    rear engined boxer mayhem @...
    www.geocities.com/peterwood73

Quote Originally Posted by pete wood
    We are looking into a new car early next year and the golf looks good (i'm a vee dub nut) but the pug is a wagon and that's what my wife wants. I have to say I'd be happier with one too.

how big is the 307 on the inside?
    to they have any issues that anyone knows of?
    what are they like for towing?
    There's only one was to answer that. You've got to go have a look at one. Personally, I think they have loads of space inside, and the 2.0 HDi will tow very nicely, I'm sure.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thread Information