A/C clutch mi16
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: A/C clutch mi16

Fellow Frogger!

Default A/C clutch mi16

My clutch on the A/C compressor on the mi16 isn't cutting in. Theres no power getting to it. When I hook a direct line up to it from the battery it works. The A/c switch in the car lights up with that orange light, but thats all I know. I suspect the switch is faulty. Is it a relay? The connector that sits under the inlet manifold is not getting power to it.

Any ideas on how to get behind this switch and access to it?

Advertisement
    1984 505 STI

It could be the actual sensor for the air/con that's duff, but chances are the safety switch on top of the receiver/dryer is not allowing it to be activated possibly due to the system being short of gas.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Default AC Clutch MI16

Quote Originally Posted by lunchcutter
    My clutch on the A/C compressor on the mi16 isn't cutting in. Theres no power getting to it. When I hook a direct line up to it from the battery it works. The A/c switch in the car lights up with that orange light, but thats all I know. I suspect the switch is faulty. Is it a relay? The connector that sits under the inlet manifold is not getting power to it.

Any ideas on how to get behind this switch and access to it?
    Has your system lost or run low on gas. The low pressure switch will activate if so, preventing the AC clutch from engaging. If you can locate the switch [on the dryer?] jump the connection to engage the clutch. Observe if the system cools down. If not suspect low gas.

Fellow Frogger!

The pressure safety switch is on top of the dryer bottle behind the passenger side headlamp, Its a brown plug with 4 wires.

Short pins 1 & 2 together with the ignition on but the engine NOT RUNNING!
    If you bypass the switch with the engine running you will RUIN the compressor!

Switch the aircon on & off, Does the clutch relay click & the cooling fans roar into life now?

If yes then get the air con system serviced.
    2003 Pug 206 GLX TU3JP

Thread Information