1981 505sr - lead replacement / premium?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 1981 505sr - lead replacement / premium?

Just not sure what petrol i should continue using for my old 350k 505, Lead replacement, unleaded or Premium. I think the lead replacement is killing it. Spark plugs or grimed up last service and sound real rough on unleaded. Premium is expensive too. can I win in this situation??? cheers..

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Run it on premium and it will purr. The difference in cost between premium and ordinary unleaded should be compensated for by improved economy, and smoother running.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

you can always try water injection at the same time as normal unleaded to prevent pinging

this will also clean out the engine and make it run better and better over time as it rids the engine of carbon
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!

I've recently changed to premium in an old 280 Benz can't believe the difference over LRP , but, I was under the impression that using unleaded without a cat was a no no due to the emissions, anybody know what the official view is.

Graham Lewis

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Lewis
    I've recently changed to premium in an old 280 Benz can't believe the difference over LRP , but, I was under the impression that using unleaded without a cat was a no no due to the emissions, anybody know what the official view is.

Graham Lewis
    There's no choice since lead dissappeared in 2000.
    The concern was about benzene, a carcinigen. (spelling?)
    Apparantly 91 octane has less benzene than leaded used to have. Premium has a little more.
    BP Ultimate (and BP in general due to their more advanced refinery) has a very low level of Benzene, the fuel to use if you are worried about benzene emissions.
    Graham

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    you can always try water injection at the same time as normal unleaded to prevent pinging

this will also clean out the engine and make it run better and better over time as it rids the engine of carbon
    Is a certain amount of pinging, even when running on PULP normal? Without resorting to methods like water injection, etc, is there anything else that can be done to prevent/reduce it? And can it result in damage to the engine if left to run like that in the long term?

Thanks

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

you can prevent it in a couple of ways if it happens

retard the ignition

or decoke the engine

decoking is as easy as either running a little bit of water down the carb or my prefered method is using redex

when using redex just watch the great plumes of smoke that billow out the rear

gradually pour around 250ml of redex down the carb at around 1500rpm with the engine at running temp then take the car for a run to expell any residue then run the redex in the tank for a while to rid any left overs

if after decoking you still have pinging you will need to back the timing off around 2deg
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I run my 280E and VW Campers on premium and the difference is fantastic. Better mileage and smoothness. Dash of flashlube occasionally.

We used to decoke with brake fluid down the carby-really cleans them out but don't stall engine. It cooks everywhere.
    1986 Renault Fuego GTX
    1972 Mercedes Benz 280E
    1988 Nissan Trakka Campervan
    1972 VW Kombi

In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.
    Harold Ganeen.

Quote Originally Posted by mlb
    Is a certain amount of pinging, even when running on PULP normal? Thanks Matt
    Used ULP a few times when I first got my 505 and it pinged... Lots... Now I only use PULP. Economy has improved dramatically and it doesn't ping at all, not even when it's fully loaded up steep hills....
    So, in short, your's shouldn't ping hile using PULP....

Cheers,
    Chris
    Les hurlements de lion.
    504 GL (gone)
    205 GTI Classic (gone)
    505 STI (gone)
    I can feel a GTI 180 coming on!

Thread Information