Pug mechanic and water pump help
  • Register
  • Help
    Gem

Pug mechanic and water pump help

G'day, I am having more issues with the car .
    The pug is now leaking coolant at a fairly rapid rate ie dripping all the time. Red Devil radiators had a quick look and they believe it could be a busted water pump.
    I have booked it into the family mechanic for Tuesday, however he has not had any experience with pugs before.
    Can anyone recommend a decent pug mechanic on the southside of Brisbane? One that I can also go to in the future for servicing and other stuff.
    Also, has anyone replaced (or know about replacing) a water pump on a 306? Labour very expensive? And will a special pump need to be ordered?
    I am going to cry.
    But dont worry I will live.
    Gem

Advertisement
    ~ gemma ~
    '95 306 S16
    [MYS16]

Azide tastes nice on my cereal.

No doubt it's a straighforward job hampered by the usual encroachment of too many things that clog up the engine compartment these days.

I'm not familiar with this model, but check out Import Advantage for the parts (might it be worthwhile to change the timing belt at the same time?).

But before you do anything, verify that it is the pump that's leaking, not some stray hose or something that's come loose...

Tadpole
    That's good advice. We need to get it to someone who knows how the bits come off and make sure we know what is really leaking. The guy at Red Devil just saw the water coming from the area around the water pump cover and assumed it was the water pump.

So any decent mechanics around? let us know
    cheers!
    Mike
    Mmmm - two stroke

Zen
    Dunno if this helps, but Peugeotech in Northgate have been great with my '95 S16, which by the way ticked over 200,000km the other week and still runs beautifully. They're on the northside though so I'm not sure if it's convenient for you.

Rich

codito ergo sum == code monkey

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

I know a good, trustworthy mechanic at Woodridge. He generally works on BMW, but also does work on Toyota, Suzuki etc. A possible water pump and belt change is not a problem. His name is Oollie at Schwabengarage at the end of Timms Ct Woodridge off compton rd. Other than that go to the recognised people at Euroserve at Breakfast Ck or Peugeotech on the northside.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    02 and 03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

ORX400:
    That's good advice. We need to get it to someone who knows how the bits come off and make sure we know what is really leaking. The guy at Red Devil just saw the water coming from the area around the water pump cover and assumed it was the water pump.
    Didn't I say that you should make sure where the leak is coming from?

I mean, get your head in there yourself, don't pull anything apart unless you really have to... use a torch, mirrors or whatever you need, but you find out what's leaking.

Only then do you consider taking it to someone else... and I think Peugeotech has always got the vote around here for workmanship. Not far into the northside, just over the Gateway, really.

Tadpole
    Thanks Ray, if I can get some ramps or a good jack before the end of the weekend, I will get under it and work out where it is leaking from.

Otherwise I will have a chat to Peugeotech and get them to hoist it up I personaly don't like going to workshops either, but since we need a few small jobs done, this could be a good excuse to check Peugeotech out.

By the way Ray, who were you cheering for last Wednesday? :p

Thanks Ray, Alan, and Zen for your responses
    cheers!
    Mike tongue
    Mmmm - two stroke

Hey Rich, good to see yet another S16 owner from Brisbane frequenting these parts. I too go to Peugeotech at Northgate. Stuart and Graham have been really good to me and know their stuff + they actually give a s$%t about you....unlike some other mechanics who remain nameless, but that doesnt matter, they are not around anymore.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Wednesday?

If you're talking about the state of origin, ORX499, you'll notice that I haven't capitalised it.

As a natter of fact, I was cursing the whole stupid thing on Wednesday, as I was wanting to talk to people for work and one after the other, dozens of them, said to me "State of origin night, you're kidding!"

Well, for my money, when the AGP gets the same reverence, then I'll consider football something just a tad less than organised brutality.

Yeah, hop under and have a good look...

Zen
    Cheers, Brad. Been having a look at the mods you've done with your S16, I like it! I've been talking to Stewart about somethings wink so I'll have to bring it along to the next cruise... whenever that will be.

Rich

codito ergo sum == code monkey

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

Thread Information