Clutch Bleeding 505
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 Clutch Bleeding 505

Hello All,

I am having a few issues bleeding the clutch out on my rally 505, I grabbed the hydralics off a 504, which the clutch was working fine on until it was parked a few days before it was wrecked.

I have a drag bleeder here, opened up the slave tried to drag fluid through, it wont come, can get it to suck fluid at all, cleaned the nipple on the slave etc. Tried hitting the pedal why the preasure was held on...

Any thoughts ?

Cheers

Ben

Advertisement
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

try another slave cylander if you have a spare,could it be blocked up from old gunk in the lines,??????-BAZZ

Hey Baz,

Think you may be right, just went out and had another go took the line off the back of the slave and bingo I could pull fluid.

I have never pulled one of these slaves apart before, is it easy to pull them apart and clean them?

Thanks in advance

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

This has been covered before and seems to be a common problem. I think what happens is the piston in the master cylinder goes in a small amount and shuts off the intake from the reservoir, the best way to bleed it is to reverse bleed it with a pressure bleeder, or if you don't have one of these, connect a pipe from the left front wheel brake bleed nipple to the clutch bleed nipple and use the brake pedal as a pressure bleeder.
    Regards Pete

I am gunna get another 403 on the road........one day

Pull it off, pull it apart, hold it upright above the level of the master cylinder, fill it to the brim with fluid, push the rubber and piston into it... that will assemble and bleed it all in one go!

Default Clutch bleeding etc

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Pull it off, pull it apart, hold it upright above the level of the master cylinder, fill it to the brim with fluid, push the rubber and piston into it... that will assemble and bleed it all in one go!
    Oh, the joys of 404 clutch bleeding. Reach under the clutch m/cyl, move or pump the clevis rod under the cylinder a few times, then lightly "tickle" the little valve in the reservoir. Voila! Bubbles appear, repeat this again, it should do the job. You can also watch the bubbles moving up the clutch line.

Using the brake as a pressure bleeder on the 505 can bring on its own problems.
    By doing it this way the brake master cylinder piston has to travel into a cylinder that has accumulated gunk. This will find its way past the piston seal ending up as a leak.

The old method of a clear bottle with plastic hose connected to the bleed nipple should work. Put some fluid in the bottle so that it remains air free.

I'm very serious with my method... I've had troubles in the past with the others, and when you're on your own you have another set of bothers again...

It works, first time every time!

You do a final bleed by tipping it up so the bleed nipple is uppermost, release it and push the piston in a tad more. But it's so easy it makes everything else look silly.

Default Clutch bleeding 504 etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    I'm very serious with my method... I've had troubles in the past with the others, and when you're on your own you have another set of bothers again...

It works, first time every time!

You do a final bleed by tipping it up so the bleed nipple is uppermost, release it and push the piston in a tad more. But it's so easy it makes everything else look silly.
    Ah! Ray. The loneliness of the serious Peugeot clutch bleeder.
    Of course your idea is a good one, being simple and cheap it has to be.

Apart from my previously mentioned method I have done a similar thing to you. With the clutch system full of fluid raise the slave cyl on its flexible line secure it to something then go and have a brew [or two ]. On return you may find the line etc free of bubbles. The secret here is to never be in a hurry.

Thread Information