What A Great Idea!
  • Register
  • Help
    Banned

Default What A Great Idea!

You're sitting at the lights. Green arrow comes on and the dude in front just sits there perving at some chick instead of watching the lights.

You give him a few seconds and the ning nong still doesn't move. You start to get agitated because the lights are gunna change!

Now if you blast him with the horn, he might turn out to be one of those Jason Moran Melbourne crim types who gets out of his car (as Mr Moran once did) and smashes your windscreen with a tyre-brace!

But if you had an optional horn for these types of situations ie a softer sounding one, you might avoid a bit of road rage.

So why can't Peugeot give us both a loud and a soft horn? You tell me, I don't bloody know! I mean, look at how many drivers get peeved-off when someone blasts them with their horn. And not only that, being horn-blasted puts you in a foul driving mood thereby increasing your potential for an accident!

Road rage is all the rage these days in official circles.For example the Vic Parliament has an inquiry going about the issue. Peugeot could be the first cab off the rank with a dual horn system but it just sits there on its spare tyre! Je ne sais pas! Je ne sais pas!

Advertisement

Administrator

Yip, great idea - which is why Renault (and probably others) had it on the dauphine about 50 years ago

They used to have a switch on the column that would switch between 'town' and 'country' horns...the country being louder...

Like many good ideas it has fallen by the way side...

Most horns these days are single tone jobs that cost all of 3 cents to make...

Like most things, it comes down to money...

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Yeah,

what a brilliant idea ...

Say did you know CX's have a two stage horn button, press lightly and you get a high pitched normal horn, press a little harder and it cuts in the twin airhorns (which frightens sh!t out of everyone). Last time a took a CX for a roadworthy I was told to remove them. My response was basically "Stick you head up your arse, they were fitted to the car new, and there's a two stage button on the dash" I demonstrated the switch.

He absolutely refused to give a roadworthy without new front brake lines (which were fine) and the horns removed. I headed home, armour all'ed the brake lines, went back. "Have you removed the air-horns, I lean in and toot the 1st stage of the horns, he checks my nice shiny 'new' brake lines and passes it. I left with a nice loud toot of the air-horns

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Does anyone really care that much...... I hardly ude my horn.... and when i do its mainly TO scare the crap outa ppl. I dunno it just seems like a granpa option. Id rather Pug spent there money on a better sound system in the 180 than a freaken 2 stage horn.

Road rage is for morons, ppl can yell and scream at me all they want. I just smile and wave back...... on the other hand, you touch my 180 with your hissy fit and Im gonn get out and introduce you to six foot four of love.....

In these sort of situations i just do a quick double tap on the horn. It means that the horn is not too loud and that more importantly it doesn't sound rude ... more like a friendly reminder as compared with a loud BEEEEEEEP. Just a little BIP BIP is the way to go

(OK, no Barina jokes now)
    Then - 2001 206 Gti
    Now - 2000 306 Gti6
    Now - 1974 GS 1220 Club

Never use the horn unfortunatly, was my New Years resolution to use it more but 206 horns a bit of an embarassment it's definately a small car horn and people usually laugh instead of taking notice. My sister has a Barina and the horn on that has a lot more guts(balls) than the 206. Sorry to offend the 206 owners.

But I agree that two small taps are better than one long press.

nlq206

I hardly use the horn either. But should you ever feel inclined & should someone get out to go psycho on you. Remember, you're the one in the car. Run the B.....ds over.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    Yip, great idea - which is why Renault (and probably others) had it on the dauphine about 50 years ago

They used to have a switch on the column that would switch between 'town' and 'country' horns...the country being louder...

Like many good ideas it has fallen by the way side...

Most horns these days are single tone jobs that cost all of 3 cents to make...

Like most things, it comes down to money...
    The 203 also had it 50 years ago.
    Graham

Default Horns

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    The 203 also had it 50 years ago.
    Graham
    As did my '52 Simca Huit. Small swich on column."Route" and "Ville".

If you want an inoffensive horn get one of the high note French Klaxons from a Fuego or the same from a R 4, these will be 6v so they give out a startled squeak when hit by 12v.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Yep,

the DS has those awful high pitched horns too. 'town' and 'country' horns, you pull the horn button lightly for the 'town' horn and a little firmer for the 'country' horn. It appears most french cars had these back in the 50's, possibly it was law to require them back then

Glad to hear I'm not the only one thats tried a 6volt R4 horn across a 12volt battery. Did you smack the back of your head against the bonnet

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Default Town And Country Horns

Quote Originally Posted by lucamote2005
    You're sitting at the lights. Green arrow comes on and the dude in front just sits there perving at some chick instead of watching the lights.

You give him a few seconds and the ning nong still doesn't move. You start to get agitated because the lights are gunna change!

Now if you blast him with the horn, he might turn out to be one of those Jason Moran Melbourne crim types who gets out of his car (as Mr Moran once did) and smashes your windscreen with a tyre-brace!

But if you had an optional horn for these types of situations ie a softer sounding one, you might avoid a bit of road rage.

So why can't Peugeot give us both a loud and a soft horn? You tell me, I don't bloody know! I mean, look at how many drivers get peeved-off when someone blasts them with their horn. And not only that, being horn-blasted puts you in a foul driving mood thereby increasing your potential for an accident!

Road rage is all the rage these days in official circles.For example the Vic Parliament has an inquiry going about the issue. Peugeot could be the first cab off the rank with a dual horn system but it just sits there on its spare tyre! Je ne sais pas! Je ne sais pas!

Get yourself a 203 or an early 403 and your wish will be granted.

Both of these had dual horns which could be individually sounded.

Mr Peugeot called them "town" and "country" horns. I preferred to think of them as being suitable for morons or mongrels.

If you got really enthusiastic and pressed really hard both sounded resulting in a discordant unpleasant racket.

Banned

...and I Thought It Was My Idea! F... It!

Still Doesn't Explain Why Peugeot And Indeed All Car Makers Don't Adopt Dual Horns!

What Really Gets Me Is That I Try And Gently Sound The Horn And ...i Get The Finger[s]!

What Am I Expected To Do? Sit At The Lights All Day Until Some Git Finishes Picking His Nose?

Quote Originally Posted by lucamote2005

What Really Gets Me Is That I Try And Gently Sound The Horn And ...i Get The Finger[s]!

Kind of telling really...

Quote Originally Posted by lucin
    Just a little BIP BIP is the way to go

(
    I agree. Two little taps on a 206 horn sounds very friendly, kind of cartoonish. It works a treat.

Icon7 Cant they fix electrical problems first!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty
    Kind of telling really...
    Now thats funny

I would rather Peugeot spend more time and money on fixing the problems with their cars, e.g. electrical and brakes, then two horns in a car. Just something else that will break down.

Actually that may be the one thing that doesnt break.... bring it on

Says a lot about society when we discuss having two horns so we dont get thumped with a club lock....

Thread Information