GTi6 exhaust
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: GTi6 exhaust

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

GTi6 exhaust

i don't know if i have asked this question before or not but here goes again just in case.
    the first muffler in my GTi6 has had the baffles buggered in it from about day one and i am starting to get very sick of listening to the rattle
    question is what are the consequences in removing the muffler all together and replacing with straight pipe ?
    ie you are only going to have the cat and the rear muffler on the car then
    is this going to upset any backpressure ?
    i have had cars in the past with only one muffler and never had any real trouble but we are talking only 504's and the like
    this day and age with sensors and crap on them i just like to ask the question
    thank guys

Advertisement
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!
    pugrambo - I'm not sure about what it will sound like, but you mention 'upsetting' the backpressure... any backpressure after the tuned length of our exhaust systems (ie the fantastic tuned headers on our cars) will hurt performance (it's an old myth that less backpressure = less torque.) The scavenging affect is actually assisted by having a low pressure area after the tuned length.

I can't see that they're be any detriment to performance by removing the first muffler, only sound.

I didn't know we had two mufflers, thought it was just one. Mine must be gone, it seems quite loud for a 4 cylinder with 2 mufflers.. ?!

I've had an exhaust system with cat, resonator and rear muffler that was relatively quiet and it still flowed very well. I've been told the resonator helps get rid of droning.

cheers

They ARE quite loud factory. Probably the loudest factory 4 cylinder car I have ever heard.

Not sure how loud it would be with only 1.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    rightio
    here goes
    i went to the local exhaust bloke and he is under the impression that i can replace the first muffler (which from what i have worked out is only a resonator) with a hotdog which will do the same job for around $80
    he said that it shouldn't make any difference to the note or noise from the car
    what he also said was that if muffler was replaced with jsut pipe the droning from the engine would be too much so it is advisable to replace it with something
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Thread Information