Wanted: Advice on adding a fuse into the 206 interior fuse block
  • Register
  • Help

Default Wanted: Advice on adding a fuse into the 206 interior fuse block

I'm currently in the process of installing a Bluetooth handsfree kit for my Sony Ericsson phone in my 2000 206 GTi 138. The kit requires a power supply, and comes with a 3A fuse. I want to do a nice clean install, wiring this through the interior fuse box, using one of the empty slots. A few questions:

Advertisement

1) Is this a good idea? Or am I going to break something?

2) What kind of connector do I need on the end of the wire that will run out the back of the fuse block to the handsfree, and where would I obtain it from? Would a Peugeot dealer's parts dept be able to help me out? I tried a standard female blade connector (of the sort you can get from Bunnings, etc), but it didn't fit all the way into the holes in the back of the fuse block.

3) The kit also requires an ignition feed so that it is aware when the key's been turned. I'm assuming this is one of the fat wires that run to/from the key barrel, but I'm not sure which one. I know Haynes make a workshop manual for the 206 that includes wiring diagrams, but the manual doesn't cover the GTi. Would the wiring diagrams from this book still be applicable? Anyone know off the top of their head which wire it would be?
    Black '00 206 GTi 138

'I NEVER rely on my own memory, as I have determined that it is not only faulty, but actively working against me'

Icon9

Hrm... on second thought, this probably should have gone in the tech forum... sorry!
    Black '00 206 GTi 138

'I NEVER rely on my own memory, as I have determined that it is not only faulty, but actively working against me'

Thanks jester_fu, your points are well taken, if somewhat bluntly stated. Being a computer programmer and hence of an analytical bent, I prefer having a look at problems and trying to solve them myself rather than just handing them over wholesale to someone else. I've got a bit of experience with electrics (although admittedly not auto), and can wield a soldering iron, so I thought maybe armed with a bit more information this was something I could tackle myself. It's got nothing to do with proving how "manly" I am, I just like the challenge of figuring things out, and the sense of achievement that comes from doing something yourself.

Having said that though, your response indicates that I do appear to be in over my head here. I'll track down an auto electrician for this one.
    Black '00 206 GTi 138

...just don't set the airbag off.
    While I don't agree were Jester recommends you get your power source, (I recommend the ciggaret lighter cicuit, otherwise noise could be introduced into the radio signal), the VERY first step is get/borrow/steal/beg a decent multimeter. When I was installing all these stereos, alarms etc; "test lights" have set off more air-bags then I care to mention. - Chris
    ... ptui!

I'll be at the AF BBQ, but by that stage I will have hopefully gotten the kit professionally installed.

Look for the guy in the black GTi with a suitably chastened look on his face
    Black '00 206 GTi 138

Quote Originally Posted by jester_fu
    If you stuck to pulling the headunit out and working with the wiring on that, i'm pretty sure you'd be safe. I'm also not convinced the noise would be a factor on the stock headunit, Chris, or even an after market without amps. But then, you're probably use to do more serious installs where every bit counts.
    ... well not really, as Bluetooth is notoriously noisy, the noise I'm refering to is RF/data, not purely electrical.
    The other problem is car makers (spesh PSA) are making/installing wiring for head units smaller and smaller, (money saving?), but the cigarrete lighter wiring is (including 206) ussually a little beefier, hence it could cope with extra current demands, but in a relatively simlple bluetooth kit current draw is minor, if the kit uses an external speaker, then its likely it has a switchmode power supply, which should help efficiency but not noise.
    Either way Jester has hit the nail on the head, a pro install is better than a novice install. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Thread Information