What a dipstick! Mi16...
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default What a dipstick! Mi16...

Hi there,

I just bought a new dipstick as the knob on the old one crumbled away. Thing is, the oldie didn't have the extension under the knob with the sealing flutes on it that goes down the tube.

It just occurred to me that I'm not sure what's the correct way of dipping with this dipstick. Do you just return the stick so the extended bit touches the tube, or is it pushed all the way home? The difference is about the same as that between MIN and MAX on the stick. The owner's manual doesn't say.

Stuey

Advertisement

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I guess you could do an oil change, put the right amount in and wait for it to settle then work out how far you have to push it in to get the right result. (not sure if this is the right sort of forum for that advice). I broke the sealing bits off the SRDT and found that they were useful for sealing as some oil did escape past the top of the stick, very small amount - very messy with diesel oil though.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Default push it home!

Stuey,

First, you did the right thing getting a new stick as the crankcase seal is important to the injection system. My 205Si went much better with a new properly sealing knob. Losing a little oil, while possibly messy, is a secondary consideration IMHO.

Second, I always push the stick in as far as it goes on my S2 Mi16. cannot see the point of having any other reference point really....

Cheers
    Trevor Hoare
    Boolarra Vic

'95 405Mi16 - what a great car! ; 89 405 ( for my daughter )
    previously 205Si, 504Ti, HR wagon with R16 seats, R16, R10, VW kombi, VW passat, HQ panel van, FB panelvan, Rover'49 P3 4-light

1000+ Posts

Thanks Trevor; I know that's logical, but I've seen cars that dip both ways, and as the Pug one is so damn tight I thought it might be one of them...

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information