505 Gearbox Oil
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 505 Gearbox Oil

Tadpole

Default 505 Gearbox Oil

Hello, I was just wondering what is the correct oil that you use in the gearbox. At the moment I am using Castrol GtX2 in the gearbox as it is what I use in the engine. It is 20W50. Should I use a thinner oil in the gearbox or stick with what I have been using.
    Thanks.

Advertisement

Default Gearbox oil

Generally gearboxes run 80w oil.

V8 super cars run 50w.

50w is ok in fresh gearboxes but as they age 80w is normally the go.

cheers ed ge

And before anyone tells you any different, it's important to note that gear oils run on a different viscosity index to engine oils...

So an 80 gear oil is very similar in real viscosity to a 20W 50 engine oil. The gear oil is also built differently to cope with the high point loadings of gears and ball/roller bearings that are only a minor part of engine oils' duties.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

seeing as Mr peugeot goes to a lot of trouble in designing and making gearboxes and he seems to make fairly good ones at that i am sure he also studied what oil would be the ideal one to use in them

he decided that 20/40 engine oil would be the one for the job so i would go along with that
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Right on Pugrambo, forced me to check the manual for 504, 20w30/40 drained and replaced every 10,000Kms. Must be many people ignoring that advice.

So Grace, 20W50's ok as long as you change it regular. But certainly no lower. Higher number W relates to more viscosity (thicker) oil.

cheers ed ge

Ps. any offers on wether higher viscosity oils would result in the fill and leave practice common with Aussie gearboxes, and at what detrement to Mr Peugeot's finest older gearboxes?

Icon7

Can 20W30/40 be used right across the range of common Pug boxes i.e. BA7/4, BA7/5 and BA10/5? What's an actual name of a brand I could go and purchase?

Matt.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    Can 20W30/40 be used right across the range of common Pug boxes i.e. BA7/4, BA7/5 and BA10/5? What's an actual name of a brand I could go and purchase?

Matt.

i always used GTX2 in all the boxes

in winter i would run around 1/2 a litre of ATF in there as well just to make it a bit easier for cold gear changes but it just depends on how old to box is

if it is a new box then just the 20/40W oil will be fine

so basically any good mineral engine oil is fine for them
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!

I use valvoline 20/50w and it works for me. I'm big on country k's and plenty of them. Haven't had a problem yet.

1000+ Posts

I wouldn't use engine oil in a gearbox unless it forms part of the power unit as is the case with the 204. As Ray says, gearbox oil is designed for extreme pressure. Something like Castrol VMX80 EP would be preferable I would have thought - but hey, I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by graham66
    I wouldn't use engine oil in a gearbox unless it forms part of the power unit as is the case with the 204. As Ray says, gearbox oil is designed for extreme pressure. Something like Castrol VMX80 EP would be preferable I would have thought - but hey, I could be wrong.

the thing is Mr Peugeot specifies engine oil for the gearboxes and i am pretty sure gear oil would have been around back in the days the box was designed

i would be pretty sure they have a reason as to why engine oil is the prefered lubricant
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    the thing is Mr Peugeot specifies engine oil for the gearboxes and i am pretty sure gear oil would have been around back in the days the box was designed

i would be pretty sure they have a reason as to why engine oil is the prefered lubricant
    I once consulted my Mobil Dealer in regards to what oil to use in the 505 gearbox and Mobil recommend engine oil. However you should not use engine oil in the differentrial!

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo

I'm with 'rambo on this. I'm running Caltex Havoline Premium 20W40 (i think, could be 50) in my gearbox. Peugeot put a lot of time and effort into determining what is best, so it's a good idea to go with the strength. As I also run this in my engine, it makes life a bit simpler.

Also you can go to individual oil companies' websites and see what they recommend. All but one recommend engine oil in gearbox's, with only one - Shell I think- recommending a different oil than that in the engine. And that was only running the diesel version of Shell Helix in it - still engine oil though.

May be worth a look if you need further guidance. There is quite a bit of further information elsehwere in this forum as this topic has been covered quite a few times. I should know, I think I read them all before deciding on an oil.

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Fellow Frogger!

PEUGEOT
    505 GTi, 2165cm³ F/Inj. Eng. (1985-1990)
    CRANKCASE
    Shell Helix Plus 15W-50
    Capacity 5.5* Litres (See Note 4)
    MANUAL TRANSMISSION
    Shell Helix Plus Eco 10
    Capacity 1.6 Litres
    AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
    Shell ATF IID
    Capacity 6.2 Litres (See Note 12)
    DIFFERENTIAL
    Shell Spirax AX 80W-90
    Capacity 1.6 Litres (See Note 14, 20)
    POWER STEERING
    Shell ATF IID or Shell Helix Power Steering
    NOTES
    * Includes Oil Filter
    4 May also use HELIX SUPER.
    12 Dry fill capacity shown, fill only to full mark.
    14 May also use SPIRAX A 80W-90 or HELIX DIFF.
    20 If fitted with optional limited-slip differential, use HELIX LSD 90 or SPIRAX A 90 LS.

© Copyright 2003, Datateck Publishing Pty Limited

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by graham66
    But it is what Peugeot reccommends, they would have reccommended EP if it was needed!
    EP is for hypoid differentials where high loadings are produced due the angle of the geer teeth.

Graham

Thread Information