505 Coolant Level Sensor
  • Register
  • Help
    mlb

Default 505 Coolant Level Sensor

I understand that the 505's had an alarm for when the car had a low coolant level. My car looks like it is missing that as there is just a straight cap on the radiator, no sensor.

Could someone please give me a quick outline of the system, what alarm it triggered, and what coloured wire went to the sensor. I am looking at re-establishing the system and need to sort it all out.

Advertisement

Cheers

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by mlb
    I understand that the 505's had an alarm for when the car had a low coolant level. My car looks like it is missing that as there is just a straight cap on the radiator, no sensor.

Could someone please give me a quick outline of the system, what alarm it triggered, and what coloured wire went to the sensor. I am looking at re-establishing the system and need to sort it all out.

Cheers

Matt
    The GR didn't have it, On the GTI the overheat light doubles as low coolant level
    Graham

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    The GR didn't have it, On the GTI the overheat light doubles as low coolant level
    Graham
    That would explain its absence. Thanks Graham.

Any chance of retrofitting fitting one?

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

VIP Sponsor

That would explain its absence. Thanks Graham.

Any chance of retrofitting fitting one?

Matt
    You would need to fit a GTI filler system, the GTI radiator has the hoses on the other side, so you can't direct swap, and an overflow bottle. You could wire to your existing light, this comes off the sensor in the back of the head. This is a switch unlike 504s and 404s which have a thermistor for the temp guage in this spot.
    Graham

mlb

You would need to fit a GTI filler system, the GTI radiator has the hoses on the other side, so you can't direct swap, and an overflow bottle. You could wire to your existing light, this comes off the sensor in the back of the head. This is a switch unlike 504s and 404s which have a thermistor for the temp guage in this spot.
    Graham
    By the sound of it the 505 has two different temperature connections. One for the gauge and one for the light. Am I correct in this? The one for my gauge obviously works as my gauge moves around as it should, but where exactly is the one for the light, as I have the feeling that mine may be diconnected . I have a loose wire floating around in my engine bay that looks like it needs to clip onto somewhere.

VIP Sponsor

By the sound of it the 505 has two different temperature connections. One for the gauge and one for the light. Am I correct in this? The one for my gauge obviously works as my gauge moves around as it should, but where exactly is the one for the light, as I have the feeling that mine may be diconnected . I have a loose wire floating around in my engine bay that looks like it needs to clip onto somewhere.

As I said the one for the light goes to the back of the head .
    The one for the gauge goes to the waterpump, not to the carbon brush for the clutching fan but to a sensor screwed into the waterpump body.
    Graham

Graham Matt,

505 SR has the radiator with the coolant level and expansion bottle, they also have the inlet and outlet on the same side *like the GR*

Cheers

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

mlb

You could wire to your existing light, this comes off the sensor in the back of the head. This is a switch unlike 504s and 404s which have a thermistor for the temp guage in this spot.
    Graham
    Is this where the switch for the temperature light is? If it is I will have to replace it As you can see the tang for connecting the wire to is non-existant.

I also solved the mystery of an unattached wire that's been floating around under my bonnet. I put it to ground and low and behold the temperature light came on . So I may have to get that hooked up again.

On a hunch I decided to check the other alarm lights. Put the oil sensor to ground and the alternator light came on. Checked the alternator, and the oil light came on . Obviously that is now fixed. I feel like the marketing manager for Microsoft, but instead of 'Where do you want to go today' it's more 'What will you find today'

The search for truth continues

Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 505 Coolant Level Sensor-100_1245.jpg  
    Last edited by mlb; 21st January 2005 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Forgot to attach photo

Hey Matt,

I've got some of those here, want me to bring one up ?

Cheers

Ben

PS anything else you want let me know as Monday is the day i'm coming up !
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

Default Coolant level sensor

Graham
    The 505SRD has a true coolant level sensor located in the coolant overflow bottle. In my experience, the sensor is prone to giving many false alarms!

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by Pug_405_Mi16
    Hey Matt,

I've got some of those here, want me to bring one up ?

Cheers

Ben

PS anything else you want let me know as Monday is the day i'm coming up !
    That would be good if you could bring one up Ben.

Also would you have a driver's side external door handle floating around. As well as a washer motor from a GTi- I got the bottle from the one in Launceston but the motor was u/s . Also has the door strap you had earlier returned from the parallel dimension into which it was sucked?

Thanks

Matt

PS I'll give you a call on Monday somewtime

Thread Information