mi16 test drive
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: mi16 test drive

Default mi16 test drive

hey everyone

had another drive of a potential mi16 today, heres my findings:

pros:
    -low kms (for its age, '90 model with 180,000km) and mostly highway kms.
    -reasonable price
    -electrics all good
    -drives very nicely
    -interior flawless
    -exterior reasonable for a 10 year old car

cons:
    -brake hoses need to be replaced for roadworthy
    -catalytic converter needs replacing too, again, for roadworthy
    -engine needs steam clean

the shot cat affected performance a tiny bit but hardly noticable
    the car has been serviced regularly, cam belt changed twice (at 80 and 150) alternator replaced at 105 and other minor works done throughout the life of the car

Advertisement

the asking price is 5500 with the cat and hoses fixed and RWC, i could haggle somewhat.

this car has no major flaws as ive seen with other mi16s for similar prices, the owner was very genuine and i didnt suspect he was hiding anything, he's a bit of a peugeot fan as he's upgrading to a gti180 after the sale of this car.

Basically, i want to buy it, if i can gather the funds (plus id want a bit more for expenses) does anyone have any advice? take it for another drive? get some photos? anything like that?

Quote Originally Posted by nick86
    hey everyone

had another drive of a potential mi16 today, heres my findings:

pros:
    -low kms (for its age, '90 model with 180,000km) and mostly highway kms.
    -reasonable price
    -electrics all good
    -drives very nicely
    -interior flawless
    -exterior reasonable for a 10 year old car

cons:
    -brake hoses need to be replaced for roadworthy
    -catalytic converter needs replacing too, again, for roadworthy
    -engine needs steam clean

the shot cat affected performance a tiny bit but hardly noticable
    the car has been serviced regularly, cam belt changed twice (at 80 and 150) alternator replaced at 105 and other minor works done throughout the life of the car

the asking price is 5500 with the cat and hoses fixed and RWC, i could haggle somewhat.

this car has no major flaws as ive seen with other mi16s for similar prices, the owner was very genuine and i didnt suspect he was hiding anything, he's a bit of a peugeot fan as he's upgrading to a gti180 after the sale of this car.

Basically, i want to buy it, if i can gather the funds (plus id want a bit more for expenses) does anyone have any advice? take it for another drive? get some photos? anything like that?
    up here in banana country you can get RACQ inspections, does the RACV do a similiar thing ?? it's reasonably cheap and gives you a bit of an idea as to wether it's as good as what he says it is.

i'm pretty sure that one of the melbourne members from here wouldn't mind helping you out as with regards to looking at it.

if it's just the cat and a few hoses, i'd say go for it

thats a good call if you dont know anyone mechanically minded to look at it.
    racv do car testing .ring them up.
    all in all it sounds quite fair if the car runs well and looks good.
    hows the idle on it? take it for a long run if you can to see what the engine temp does.
    hows the oil presuure?[not sure if mi 16 have oil pressure gauge.]
    take it over speed humps to see how the suspension is as its about this time in the cars age that this will be affected.you will hear squeaks and rattles if the suspension mounts are worn.also body roll will also give away sagging dampers .
    is there play in the steering at all?.
    just a few tips on what i do when checking over a car but i still take someone with me who knows cars to maybe pick up on something i missed-BAZZ

power steering rack boots
    sway bar bushes
    strut tower rubber mounts
    wishbone bushes
    water pump

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

with regards to suspension it all seemed sweet we took it for a good burn along some nice windy country roads, body roll didnt seem to exist, steering was very true, the only problem i had was being used to manual steering.

my brother is a bit of a motor nut ill talk to him to see if he can inspect it with reasonable competence if not then ill get an RACV inspection done.

im still in the process of gathering cash together but im confident that it wont be a problem.

i plan to see the car again soon and have a more detailed poke.

also, is there any major issue in installing a multifit catalytic converter? the guys mechanic claims there is no difference

ps. the water pump was also recently replaced

Quote Originally Posted by nick86

also, is there any major issue in installing a multifit catalytic converter? the guys mechanic claims there is no difference
    YOu need a high flow cat - the one on the mi16 is BIIG.

I recently replaced mine with a cat from a v8 crummydore. cost close to $500

otherwise, sounds like a pretty good buy to me. sounds like the owner looks after the car well.

Like Peter said though, make sure you check all your perishable/rippable rubbers - cv boots are cheap parts, but expensive to fit if u dont do it yourself.

good luck.
    1992 mi16 1.9 litre - it's a love hate realtionship.

whatever you do NEVER tell anyone your car is reliable. doesn't matter how much wood you touch!

previous cars: peugeot 306xt, peugeot 205si, renault 20, renault 12 - sedan and wagon, renault 25, alfa 155 twin spark

Thread Information