be part of a pug adventure
  • Register
  • Help

Default be part of a pug adventure

hi..
    i know it's kind of cheeky to bounce in to a forum and immediately direct people to your website, but i need some help.
    my dad and i are driving our family's 504 from adelaide to paris this october (yes, shipping her over the wet bits!) and we're at the stage where all advice would be welcome.
    we have a website at www.drivingpollyhome.com if you want to see what we're all about and add your 2 cents worth - we'd really appreciate any advice/feedback/ridicule/envy/encouragement/whatever else you've got!!
    thanks,
    claire

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Welcome Claire. That's definitely not cheeky simply because your site is so damn interesting! Great stuff; great concept. Wait until AF member and resident story teller Ray Bell sees this...

Good luck

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Wow Claire that's a pretty interesting adventure you're planning. I'd love to hear updates on how it all goes.

G'luck.

Go for it! Goodluck!

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Default Omigod!

Claire

That is just going to be the most amazing adventure!!! I have bookmarked your site and am looking forward to updates on the preparation of Polly and of the actual trip itself.

I just need to know though, when you get to Paris, what are you going to do with Polly?

All the best
    Kitty

Hey Claire,

Welcome and good luck! When do you head off?
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Dunno if this is any help, but these guys have just done a trek from Oxford, UK to Oxford, NZ in a Morrie Oxford. Saw them in the local paper last week.

www.oxford2oxford.co.uk

Good luck with the trip.
    1954 203a

Originally posted by Stuey
    .....Wait until AF member and resident story teller Ray Bell sees this...
    The 'rambo posted about this a few months ago, we've exchanged a small number of e.mails.

Default Amazing Trip

So how go the preparations, how's Polly feeling, a bit nervous perhaps, how is she with bits and pieces being adjusted and moved. I hear that older people/cars can become reluctant to travel and wish only to stay within their routine, even if it is parked under a tree. Stay visible, keep us posted.

Cheers ed ge

Greetings From Finland,

I am very interested in this long drive. I have done 2 "long" trips myself with Peugeots but they were nothing compaired to this "Driving Polly Home"-adventure.

My advice is that cover the "useless" rear sidewindows with aluminium foil since I think heat will be one of the main obstacles. At least we had when we drove 7500km from Finland to Mediterrainean sea and back.

How can we be updated how the trip is progressing while you are on the road?
    Is there someone who updates Polly's web-pages?
    Last edited by Pate; 21st January 2005 at 07:50 AM.

Heat? Finland to the Mediterranean?

We get more heat than that driving to the shops...

thanks for your replies!

i'm starting an e-mailing list this weekend, if you're keen to be kept in the loop you can email me at [email protected] or hit the links on the website to get in touch with me or dad (who is also the guy who updates the website).

to answer the other questions...
    * we leave this october
    * we're not sure what to do with polly when we get to paris. ideas?

thanks again, you guys rock..
    claire

XTC

Sounds like a neat plan, before doing so is there going to be a trial run ... something like 5000-10000kms to make sure the car is sorted? What spares will you carry (probably best to find out what is more likely to a be problem first).

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Default What to do?

Claire,

if you can't find some serious museum to give Polly perpetual residence I suspect you'll have to drive her back to Australia and park her under a tree on the western slope of a small hill so that she can rust into eternity, warmed by the afternoon sun and with a good view of the sunset.

Next question would be the most appropriate sort of tree.

Cheers ed ge

Ps. failing that, back to Oz for a $20,000 rebuild to carry your kids around.

Sounds like a great trip.

All the best.

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Originally posted by XTC206
    .....What spares will you carry (probably best to find out what is more likely to a be problem first).
    A water pump, maybe a radiator would be a good idea, as long as the brakes are done up beforehand and the splines on the tail shaft are okay, there's little else likely to be needed.

A drive like this shouldn't wear much out provided it's pretty good at the beginning.

Default What to do with Polly?

Maybe you could try and get onto a French Frog (as opposed to Aussie Frog) who may want to give her a nice home...or at least a nice tree for her.

Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Heat? Finland to the Mediterranean?

We get more heat than that driving to the shops...
    OK, I can't imagine how hot it is in Australia. It certainly looks hot but I have never been there. But I can promise this: I will come to Australia someday.

About Driving-Polly-Home advice I meant that de-hydration must be taken seriously and looks like from the route they are driving that there are areas where you have to be very careful what kind of water you drink.

Aluminium foil on Peugeot side windows in Australia

Default Suspension

Dear Paris Aspirant PALS,

Pate's suggestion is a very good/critical inclusion in thoughts for preparation on your trip. Drinking water being at a premium in some of the areas you will be passing through, fitting of a purpose built stainless steel tank secretred somewhere in the vehicle would be strongly advised, as well as the mandatory 25ltr plastic numbers.

Given this consideration, extra fuel on board would be similarly essential. A 13.2 gall fuel tank may limit you to some 320 miles, which will see you filling the tank freguently.

With the expectation of carrying serious extra weight a couple of things start to become more important:

1. Consider reinforcing/fitting extra mounting points for the basket type roof rack I presume you will be using.

2. some what stiffened suspension particularly at rear, upgraded springs and shockers

All this extra weight will alter the dynamics of the car and enforce a lower speed limit, say 80 - 85 kph, you would want to be very careful if exceeding this speed under full load.

A few thoughts for the diary.

Cheers ed ge

Quote Originally Posted by lensflare
    * we're not sure what to do with polly when we get to paris. ideas?
    Ship it back, because while it is technically a French car its history has been in Australia. So when you have it in another country it loses any historical context. For example, there is an ongoing issue with people in England buying old steam engines in Australia (because they have so few left unrestored over there) and shipping them "home". Despite the fact that most were made to order and shipped directly here. Australia then loses part of its history. The same could be said for the 504. Who knows how many will be left in 40 years time.

Default Duel Battery

Dear Pollies Pilots,

there is someone here talking about a twin battery setup, that sounds interesting and I wonder if you have considered that yet?

cheers ed ge

Default Give aways

Parent & prodginy pathblazing to Paris,

Give aways for the masses of kids chasing you car around almost any where you'll go. How about a deal with Goodwill for a boxes of bright colour/ various size Aussie T shirts for the kids. Predropped in ports along the way.

One more for the diary.

Cheers ed ge

The original rear springs will handle plenty of load without any drama...

Thread Information