Tyres for GTi6
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last

Thread: Tyres for GTi6

Tyres for GTi6

The GTi6 is up for new tyres after the original Pirelli P6000's have done 46000km.

Are these the best for the car? Has anyone found a better tyre for a GTi6? How much am I looking at for the Pirellis?

Thanks.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!
    Hey YELO20.. (good to see you on the sydc list btw)

You've driven the GTi6 a lot more than I have (so far!) , but I don't think the Pirelli P6000s are particularly wonderful. Actually I don't think much of Pirelli tyres in general, even the P Zeros.

I'm sure some people will disagree with me largely here...

I think the P6000's wet weather traction is woeful, the tyres feel squirmy and not very progressive, and they squeal very easily.

I've been in a car with P600s and then later some P5000s (I think?) and they were all awful - it was night and day difference between those and some Bridgestone RE71s, and later on some Yokohama A008Rs This was a long time ago...

I know it is different between cars, but I found the OEM Bridgestone RE010s fitted on WRXs are excellent tyres in comparison to the 6000s - even with the AWD traction advantage taken out of the equation. Nice, grippy and progressive, wore quite well, quiet.

That's why I think I'm going to suggest they latest variant of the bridgeys, the RE711. Everyone seems to give them a glowing report, and as a 306 driver Brenno seems to like them too.

AFAIK, it's a pretty close call between the RE711 and the Dunlop FM901.

I remember a fellow who used to frequent the Autospeed forums, he also recommended Toyo Proxes and had them on his GTi6 - said they were excellent and very quiet to boot.

I'll be looking at all of the above options when the time comes... perhaps some Azenis might even get a consideration!

ntrx,

I have found them particularly good, but that doesn't mean anything. I have even put a mate onto the Pirelli's and he thinks they are great as well.

I really haven't had a lot to do with tyres, so I don't know. Thats why I'm asking. The sales guy might tell me something and I wouldn't have a clue.

Any idea on costs.

rek
    The 206 GTi folk on the yahoo list seem to like the Yokohama A539. Apparently they aren't that expensive, either.

Not sure what relevance they have to the 306, but at least 2 numebrs and 3 letters are the same
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

LOL @ rek

Fellow Frogger!
    Try some Michelins. I've always though Michelins worked well with Peugeot hot hatches, maybe it is because of them being a French company and understanding the french roads which are very similar to NZ roads and understanding the driving style of lil` french FWD hatches. And it just so happens that in the WRC, the Michelins are the best tyre on tarmac, the Pirelli's are pathetic compared to them

Fellow Frogger!
    hehe YELO I reckon it's the car that's good...

As mentioned above - I have RE711's on mine. Hardly a GTi6 though.

Nonetheless these tyres have been really very good - I am buying another set next week.

I spoke to a bloke with an Integra Type R last week after a hard run up the Old Pac highway and he said that the A539's on his car were terrible. One lap on the track and they had over heated.

The RE711's impressed me with their non-squeelability (i think i just invented a new word!) and the fact that when you get them nice and warm there seems to be an extra dimension of grip available.

Downsides - when they get down to the wear markers they are crap.

I got about 13,000 kms out of a set of fronts. Im happy with that.

Brenno

How much are they? What about the Dunlop FM901's that everyone raves about?

I agree with the RE711 stuff.....i've had a set before........v good tyres, and they wear surprisingly well too
    ________
    Live Sex Webshows
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 02:06 AM.

I am using the Azenis SP115, Not a bad tyre for $150. Very quiet, progresive and excellent wet weather grip, however these seem not to be as sticky as I would expect but much better than the woefull Dunlop W10's i had before. I will be trying the Michelin MXF Sport next to see how they compare.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Fellow Frogger!
    Phasis - the Azenis 115s aren't as grippy as the original Azenis. Good thing about them though is apparently they have a harder compound and wear quite well, and are much quieter - and cheaper!

With the original Azenis it sound's like you're driving in an army truck!

YELO20 - I've just called Spinning Wheel Tyres... and here's an interesting twist! (Now.. remember, this is straight out of the mouth of a tyre salesman, so pick the gold out of the horseshit)

RE711s don't come in 15/195/55. But he think's they're a better tyre than the FM901, and pretty well one of the best tyres out there for the price... which makes me think I'll check a few other places to double check they don't have them in that size..

He wrote off the P6000s. Said they're OK in the wet, but crap in the dry - unsettled and not progressive (that's what I said!) - and for the price you could get something much, much better.

He recommended quite strongly the Michelin MXV Pilot HT and said they were designed specifically for the car. He was surprised the car had 6000s on them as they're supposed to have the Michelins on standard. I have suspiscions he may be bullshitting me here, anyone care to clarify? The Michelins are $226 each and that was his very strong recommendation after it seemed the RE711 didn't come in the right size (changed his sales pitch quite sharply.) He said they offered the mostest to a GTi6 as a road car - quietness, braking, sharp turn in, wet weather and dry grip.

There you go. I don't entirely believe all of this, I think a 2nd opinion would be the go. He was trying to sell the RE711s first...

Another interesting thing is he said they setup quite a lot of GTi6s for the track and there is a fair window for toe/camber adjustment in them. Cool!

Fellow Frogger!
    If you want to be naughty and go down a step in tyre profile, the RE711s in 195/50/15 are $163 a pop.

Hmmmm.

Fellow Frogger!
    ...although if you go and do something like this, make sure it has the same load rating as the original tyres (84) as apparently it's illegal to go lower, and insurance companies are catching on too..

Fellow Frogger!
    GRRR! The stupid Bridgestone online tyre recommendation system suggests G-Grids, but not only that - it provides the specifications of the tyre and patronises with pictures of Hyundai Excels with WRX scoop and foglights!

They've lost my business now. They don't make a tyre in our size.

Fellow Frogger!
    Dunlop FM901s come in 195 55 15 and are $165 each fitted & balanced etc.

ntrx,

Were you bored or something? LOL.

Will call the local Bridgestone dealer and see what he says.

Thanks for your help. Let me know if you find anything else out.

Fellow Frogger!
    yeppo!

don't bother about checking with Bridgestone... their website says the RE711 doesn't come in 195/55... neither does the S02.

So I reckon it's either the Michelin MXV Pilot HT or the Dunlop FM901. The Dunlop's on the right track with that price...

I am sure RE711's came in 195/55 15!

That is a very popular size.

Oh well - The next best size would be 205/50 15. Exactly the same rolling circumference.

I wouldnt go for 195/50 15.

All GTi6's came with Pirelli P6000's. Sporty pugs havnt used Michelin for quite a while now.

Who do you believe? I was just told that the FM901's don't come in 195/55/15 either. A 205/50/15 would be $205.

He suggested G Grid 2's!

WTF!

Fellow Frogger!
    whoever said that to you - point out to the the size chart clearly visible at www.dunlop.com.au .... stupid bastards!

More like 195/55/15 isn't in STOCK!

But my tyre person has already called Bridgestone, and apparently the RE711s don't come in the size we need... and I clarified this for myself on the Bridgestone website.

Yeah G-Grid 2 - stick it up your .... saleman!

ntrx - Thats why I chose the Sp115 over the originals, price, wear, noise and wet weather grip. Seems I have to forgo some shear grip for this. Such is life.

My tyres are 195/50/15, should I not be using this size?

macquered, be carefull with the 205's, they scrubbed the plastic guard on the inside wheel side of the wheel arch (hard one to explain)on my car. Could be the crappy Dunlop W10's though. Even with 35psi they still had little sidewall support compared to the 195's I now have. This would be due to both the larger size and inferior design.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

ntrx,

Who is your tyre person. Are you sure its $165 per tyre. That sounds bloody cheap to what I was told.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    if you want to be really cheap there is a tyre that is called SABA i think
    dunlop are bringing it into the country and for 195/55/15 they are $100ea
    from what i was told by a friend in the business they haven't had any complints about them and a lot of people that are running 16" and wide wheels are opting for them as they are a cheap alternative and generally around $70-$120 cheaper than others
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last

Thread Information