206 Clutch: Premature Failure
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon9 206 Clutch: Premature Failure

Hi,

I drive a 206XR and have only done 48,000km on it.

Recently I heard a slight noise that sounds like a "click" when the clutch is depressed. The noise stopped for two weeks. Then one day while parking the car the clutch pedal "slipped". When the clutch pedal is depressed to midway then the "click" noise is heard - a bit of slipping is felt underfoot before the pedal hits the floor. Thereafter the gears cannot be engaged or disengaged unless i release the clutch and depress it very very gently, and very very slowly again.

The service dealer told me it will costs $1100 to replace the clutch plate (incl labour) - it comes in a kit not sold separately hence the costs.

I am confused because:
    1. Most clutch replacements occurs after 100,000km;
    2. I don't "abuse" my car - it's only 1600cc for god's sake;
    3. The service guy rang and asked me when the problem mostly occur - if they know the plate has worn out, it doesn't matter when the slipping occurs, does it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Advertisement

I am not intimately acquainted with the clutchs on this model, but your description sound suspiciously like something is broken, eg cracked clutch selector fork.
    A grinding noise may indicate a thrust bearing and a worn clutch plate will give some warning of impending failure.

I'd be getting a second opinion and quote.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Quote Originally Posted by leeloomina
    Hi,

I drive a 206XR and have only done 48,000km on it.

Recently I heard a slight noise that sounds like a "click" when the clutch is depressed. The noise stopped for two weeks. Then one day while parking the car the clutch pedal "slipped". When the clutch pedal is depressed to midway then the "click" noise is heard - a bit of slipping is felt underfoot before the pedal hits the floor. Thereafter the gears cannot be engaged or disengaged unless i release the clutch and depress it very very gently, and very very slowly again.

The service dealer told me it will costs $1100 to replace the clutch plate (incl labour) - it comes in a kit not sold separately hence the costs.

I am confused because:
    1. Most clutch replacements occurs after 100,000km;
    2. I don't "abuse" my car - it's only 1600cc for god's sake;
    3. The service guy rang and asked me when the problem mostly occur - if they know the plate has worn out, it doesn't matter when the slipping occurs, does it?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Hi,

sorry to hear about the clutch. Do you have a warranty still, that can't be your cost to cover surely
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

Tadpole

Thanks for replying.

Unfortunately I have had auto-mechanics-savvy friends who tried out the car and they both agreed that the clutch was pretty gone.

One told a horror story of clutch failure in which he drove his 67' MGB on 2nd Gear for 20km (the horror bit being that he was given countless middle fingers by overtaking cars---eeeks!)

And no, the warranty is long over. The car's 2000 model.

I am just wondering how bad my driving technique can be to cause the failure....

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by leeloomina
    Thanks for replying.

Unfortunately I have had auto-mechanics-savvy friends who tried out the car and they both agreed that the clutch was pretty gone.

One told a horror story of clutch failure in which he drove his 67' MGB on 2nd Gear for 20km (the horror bit being that he was given countless middle fingers by overtaking cars---eeeks!)

And no, the warranty is long over. The car's 2000 model.

I am just wondering how bad my driving technique can be to cause the failure....

sounds like a problem with a part still, no clutch should go that soon, even if you were riding it badly (I doubt). put some pressure on Peugeot maybe. Try your dealer

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

1000+ Posts

I wonder if it's more like the cable or pedal mechanism (these have a cable, right?) simply not disengaging the clutch fully - something broken? I can't see it being the friction material unless you ride the clutch badly or slip it up hills etc.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    I wonder if it's more like the cable or pedal mechanism (these have a cable, right?) simply not disengaging the clutch fully - something broken? I can't see it being the friction material unless you ride the clutch badly or slip it up hills etc.

Stuey
    Im not 100% sure if the 206XR is the same as the GTi's but the GTi's have a hydraulic clutch. So I guess it could be a slave cylinder failure which would be unusual but not totally unheard of. Doesnt sound right that the clutch went so soon.

In my old car I tore the center out of the clutch and was left with a free reving engine and no forward motion.

The mention of the replacement cost makes me glad that I had mine replaced under warranty at 30,000k when the rear main seal went and sprayed oil all over my clutch.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Tadpole

well...they are my dealer. problem is - i know zilch! about car mechanics (i don't even know what/where is the clutch cable).

I have rung them since and asked if they can have a good look at it and see if something is causing the problem (oil leakage etc). and they said they haven't even pull out the gearbox yet!! hmmmm...we will see...

anyway, I just remembered. Had an collision mid last year on the passanger side (took out 2 doors!). The brake discs broke but were replaced since. Is it possible that this clutch thing a result of the collision (due to jolt/shock)?

Could be - Does your insurance policy cover lifetime warranty on repairs? If you can get the dealer to agree that the clutch could have been caused by some twisting/warping etc then they may cover it.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Quote Originally Posted by gti138
    Could be - Does your insurance policy cover lifetime warranty on repairs? If you can get the dealer to agree that the clutch could have been caused by some twisting/warping etc then they may cover it.

definately worth a shot. I'm sure your dealer would be happy to back you up with that.

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Icon9

If worse comes to worse you could always get the part number, buy the part, and then get another cheaper pug mechanic to install it rather than an expensive dealer???

make sure you get the old part.

Just a thought

Tadpole

thanks guys, but now i really feel like an idiot.

When I had my collision (my one and only in the eleven years of driving) i thought a hit on the side of the car means damage to the body and hence the panel beater.

I did not find out about the brake discs until i went for my service 2 months later! by then i am so over the accident I thought - what the hell, I will pay for the brake discs. I never thought something would happen to the clutch too.

I had to hear a long sob story from this lady who hit my car - how she did not have money for any insurance, how she couldn't even afford front seat belts in the van for her children (Yesssss, three little kids were sitting in the front seat UNRESTRAINED - how I had hoped the police was there to issue her a warning on negligence!!)...I am not sure the insurance company will be happy to hear about more claims if they had trouble getting the panel repair $$ from her in the first place. From what i know the repair costs about 4 grand...

Thread Information