306 Driveshaft Nightmare
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4

    Default 306 Driveshaft Nightmare

    Hi all,

    I'm trying to change the RH driveshaft on a 306.

    Have loosened the 2 centre bolts, but I just cannot get the shaft to budge.
    Any ideas?

    Is it possible to remove the centre bracket and get the whole assembly out?

    I'm also dreading trying to put the new shaft in, presumably it will be just as tight.

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger! pips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    487

    Default

    I am not 100% certain, but this might be good advice. Atleast its something.

    Here goes!

    I recall someone telling me that with my 405 Mi16, there might be a circlip holding the drive shaft. This circlip sits around the spline area in the diff housing, and usually springs out to hold the shaft in place.

    It needs a good hard tug, and possibly some persuasion with a large crowbar.

    This will cause the circlip to compress into the slot cut out for it in the splines and be unlocked from the car.

    There, that'll do. hah.

    Seriously though. I think someone could explain it better. But I think that is what its like on the 306
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

    The software said "Windows 98 or better". So I installed Linux.

    1990 405 Mi16

  3. #3
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Thanks I appreciate the reply. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be the case with the 306. I have the new shaft and there's no clip on it. Pretty sure it's the centre bearing that's really tight.

    I have the wheel bearing getting changed right now, I'll probably build it all up again and take it to the garage for the shaft change.

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    6,533

    Default

    Graeme, I think the centre bearing is like the Mi16. I hope, anyway, for the sake of this advice!

    You need to loosen the nuts on the centre bearing mouting until they are about 10mm from the END of the bolts (that is, quite a bloody bit!) then push the bolts in until the nuts touch the alloy housing, then turn them 1/4 tun to disengage their 'L' shaped end. These L shaped tabs go over the bearing outer race to hold it in. The bearing should now slip out quite easily. Note that the inner diff end of the shaft is easy to slide out - there was no circlip on mine (at least).

    Pips, there's a 'C' clip holding the CV on - I wonder if your guy was thinking of this?

    Stuey


    2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

  5. #5
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Graeme, I think the centre bearing is like the Mi16. I hope, anyway, for the sake of this advice!

    You need to loosen the nuts on the centre bearing mouting until they are about 10mm from the END of the bolts (that is, quite a bloody bit!) then push the bolts in until the nuts touch the alloy housing, then turn them 1/4 tun to disengage their 'L' shaped end. These L shaped tabs go over the bearing outer race to hold it in. The bearing should now slip out quite easily. Note that the inner diff end of the shaft is easy to slide out - there was no circlip on mine (at least).

    Pips, there's a 'C' clip holding the CV on - I wonder if your guy was thinking of this?

    Stuey
    Thanks Stuey,

    I've done that with the nuts/bolts - obviously I can't see that the heads are clear but they're very loose so can't be holding anything in.

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    6,533

    Default

    Hmmm. The bearing should just push out very easily by grabbing the inner shaft and pushing towards the wheel...tap the bearing retainer ring (which you can see from the diff side) with a drift or screwdriver and hammer.

    The only thing is, you guys in the UK would possibly get more corrosion between the steel bearing and alloy mount, so it could just be this.

    Stuey


    2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

  7. #7
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4

    Icon12

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Hmmm. The bearing should just push out very easily by grabbing the inner shaft and pushing towards the wheel...tap the bearing retainer ring (which you can see from the diff side) with a drift or screwdriver and hammer.

    The only thing is, you guys in the UK would possibly get more corrosion between the steel bearing and alloy mount, so it could just be this.

    Stuey

    Yes that's a thought - I've only tried pulling and hammering the outer end.

    I'll see if I can get to the diff side.

    Hey are you implying that the weather's bad here! Let me tell you we gets lots of sunshine - at least 3 days every year!!!

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    6,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by graemep
    Hey are you implying that the weather's bad here! Let me tell you we gets lots of sunshine - at least 3 days every year!!!
    Graeme, we could do with that rain, mate! We're on permament water restrictions here; the reservoirs are about 1/4 capacity...


    2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •