504 happy-happy-happy-HOT!-HOT!-happy-happy-happy
  • Register
  • Help

Default 504 happy-happy-happy-HOT!-HOT!-happy-happy-happy

Hello Fellow Peugeot Folk!

We are trying to solve a mystery with our 504 GLD.

98% of the time it is a happy car running sensibly and coolly.

In the last three months, every once in a while, the temperature rises up into the "danger zone" and the warning light comes on. We stop, allow the car to settle a bit and check the water level. We put about 4 litres in at which point the temerature immediately settles and off we go again.

It's been hard putting a pattern to it (there's a particular stretch of the Pacific Highway between Tweed and Brunswick heads that has precipitated this occurance of this phenomenon on more than one occasion) but we'd really like to get it figured out.

We've had the head gasket replaced (when we first got the car 2 years ago), radiator core replaced, tanks cleaned, new top radiator hose, new thermostat, system flush at least once per year, religiously use Penrite Inhibitor.

Advertisement

We don't know where the water goes (we assume out of the overflow of the expansion chamber due to increased pressure in the system - but we've not seen this happening) or why it always seems to be the same amount that is lost.

Any ideas, before we replace the thermostat (again!)?

Default Check radiator cap

Diesels run cooool! Could be your pressure cap. You seem to have covered everything else pretty well. Sure that the cylinder head job was done correctly? The H2O (no subscript available!) has to be going somewhere. Are there any signs of overheating? (Smell, noise, etc.) As a last resort check injection timing. Although it would have to be fairly late to cause overheating it could be a contributor.
    Peter.
    82 Peugeot 505 Turbo Diesel
    78 VW Golf diesel
    80 VW Golf diesel
    84 Nissan Patrol MQ diesel

Check all the hoses thoroughly. Put your fingers under the hoses and feel for leaks. My 504 GLD weeps slightly from several points - both ends of the top hose and also around the T-junction of hoses behind the fan (I have new hoses - yet to put them in). I let the water level drop too low recently and was glad to see the red cylinder head temperature light come on for the first time (for real) in 23 years.
    Stephen
    '03 P406 HDI
    '16 Renault Master

Sounds like a weep all right...

But maybe it's pressurising at speed. Can you run a catch tank from the overflow? I mean beyond the expansion tank, just a milk container or something so at least you have an idea.

Or run a piece of tube from the overflow to spray on your windscreen when it goes stupid?

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

don't diesels already run an overflow/expansion tank ?

or was that only the 505 diesels ?
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Default 504 happy- happy...

Quote Originally Posted by peugeot_asaurus
    Hello Fellow Peugeot Folk!

We are trying to solve a mystery with our 504 GLD.

98% of the time it is a happy car running sensibly and coolly.

In the last three months, every once in a while, the temperature rises up into the "danger zone" and the warning light comes on. We stop, allow the car to settle a bit and check the water level. We put about 4 litres in at which point the temerature immediately settles and off we go again.

It's been hard putting a pattern to it (there's a particular stretch of the Pacific Highway between Tweed and Brunswick heads that has precipitated this occurance of this phenomenon on more than one occasion) but we'd really like to get it figured out.

We've had the head gasket replaced (when we first got the car 2 years ago), radiator core replaced, tanks cleaned, new top radiator hose, new thermostat, system flush at least once per year, religiously use Penrite Inhibitor.

We don't know where the water goes (we assume out of the overflow of the expansion chamber due to increased pressure in the system - but we've not seen this happening) or why it always seems to be the same amount that is lost.

Any ideas, before we replace the thermostat (again!)?
    You've replaced your top radiator hose, could the bottom one be collapsing
    greatly restricting the circulation?
    You mention a section of the Pacific Highway where the overheating has occured. This might be that crucial distance from home where the normal temp might get just that bit higher. Causing things to happen? Although four litres is a lot to lose.

When you had the head gasket replaced did it get a follow up re tension?
    One 504GLD owner I know makes this a regular part of a service schedule.
    He also ran a 7lb cap on the overflow bottle instead of the specified 4lb.
    He is a bit of a guru among the local "oiler"owners. On very high mileage and smokier than normal diesels he would adjust the pump timing, curing the excessive fuel and oil smoke and of course restoring that crisp London Taxi rattle.

Back to that specific section of the Pacific Highway between Tweed and Brunswick Heads. Rumour has it that this is a "Bermuda Triangle" for 504 diesels !!!

have you checked for blockages, i.e. dirt or muck where it shouldn't be?? with a blown head gasket, we've generally found that it transplants some sort of muck to where it shouldn't be

check that the coolant is getting to where it should be getting.

check the water pump, and that it is still running fast enough / circulating enough water.

check the impeller on the water pump.

check the thermostat.

just what i can think of off the top of my head
    Last edited by orestes; 13th January 2005 at 02:36 AM.

Originally posted by pugrambo
    don't diesels already run an overflow/expansion tank?
    I'm sure it does... but that may already have water in it. The point is to find out if it's getting out of the system by that path.

Thread Information