405 radio slot
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 405 radio slot

Tadpole

Default 405 radio slot

can anyone tell me if the radio slot in the 405 is the standard size? and plugs

it looks like it -- can i just take the tape radio tape deck out and slide a cd player in?

Advertisement

also (not knowing anything about peugeots)
    i have a 405 series 2 update -- what does the update mean? what changed??

thanks

yep, the 405 has a standard single DIN slot, ive recently installed a clarion DXZ535 unit and it works fine, just be careful that some cd players wont let you install it at such an extreme angle, such as it is in the 405.

one thing to be VERY careful about is that my standard unit (a clarion tape deck) had all the spearkers earthed to one spot on the factory plug, this is because it only has one amp as such. all new MOSFET powered units have 4 seperate amps and 1 final amp, you will need to find the plug that has 4 seperate earths and use that, or you will blow the final amp on the new unit.

also be careful in selecting a unit that has the loading slot as low as possible, mine only just clears the security flap, any higher and the cd would not be able to load.

hope that helps

edit: no the plug isnt of any standard, most manufacturers have different plugs, i just re-soldered all mine after much pain of finding what each wire does. you may be able to find somewhere on the net that sells harness converters to suit you for ease of installation.
    Last edited by bj_dove; 11th January 2005 at 02:15 PM.
    '91 Peugeot 405 Mi16 - only just run in......

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by mr_elephant
    can anyone tell me if the radio slot in the 405 is the standard size? and plugs

it looks like it -- can i just take the tape radio tape deck out and slide a cd player in?

also (not knowing anything about peugeots)
    i have a 405 series 2 update -- what does the update mean? what changed??

thanks
    should be fine as far as I remember.

The series 2 405's had a few differences depending on whether it was an Mi16 or not. Basically, the series 2 had a coloured boot section that opened deeper and I think the SRI/STI had the sam front spoiler that the Mi16 always had. The Mi16's went (downhill IMHO) to a 2.0L cast iron block instead of an alloy 1.9. Other differences were the updated dash/interiour, airbags and colours

hope this helps

Dave
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

The plug is a standard, euro plug. However it has an adaptor on it to suit the eurovox standard unit. Remove this and if it doesnt fit direct, then you can purchase an adaptor to suit. I fitted a VDO MP3 unit the plug went straight in but the permanent power and the ignition on power wires had to be swapped. Easy to tell if that is the case as the clock is always resetting.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

I had no trub putting a pioneer mp3/wma cd player in my 405 Series2.
    I cant remember but dont think I had any problems with the wiring. Physically it went in ok
    And the speakers in the Series two have two wires to each speaker which the modern players need whereas it seems from BJ dove's post the series one have a common speaker earth
    the series 2 was a different (much better) car in the same body shape. Full painted bootlid and one piece dash are obvious Series 2 features
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

my series one radio plug had seperate earths, but i just to go one plug back in the wiring line to find it, its probably some adapter for the aussie radio.
    '91 Peugeot 405 Mi16 - only just run in......

Fellow Frogger!

yes it is standard size, I just put a pioneer one in there, it gets very hot though, but thats just the stereo I think.
    1984 505 STI

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Decca
    I had no trub putting a pioneer mp3/wma cd player in my 405 Series2.
    I cant remember but dont think I had any problems with the wiring. Physically it went in ok
    And the speakers in the Series two have two wires to each speaker which the modern players need whereas it seems from BJ dove's post the series one have a common speaker earth
    the series 2 was a different (much better) car in the same body shape. Full painted bootlid and one piece dash are obvious Series 2 features
    The common earth is only at the head unit plug; there are still two wires to each speaker.

Series 2 much better? Pah! Depends on the owner, softie!

Stuey Creakydash

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information