405 missfire?
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 405 missfire?

Fellow Frogger!

Default 405 missfire?

Our 1994 405 sedan - 2 litre manual has developed a very annoying missfire, albeit inconsistently. The car has done 220,000kms but has been regularly and expensively serviced.
    The car becomes jerky and momentarily loses power only to regain normal power again. This erratic cycle of power on / off can be just seconds apart making the car very difficult to drive in a smooth and safe manner.
    It occurs on a light / trailing throttle. The car always accelerates smoothly and powerfully, and the problem does not occur under load on hills.
    The problem usually strikes at 3,000rpm = 100Km/hr and happens on hot and cold days.
    In the last 10,000kms the car has had a new head gasket, exhaust (no cat), coil pack, clutch, engine mount, gearbox replaced.
    I would appreciate any suggestions, especially from some-one who has had similar issues with a 405. I did a search of the Common Faults and Fixes site but I could not find a match.

Advertisement

I have seen many spark plug lead replaced for this reason. Usually it is hard to see where the short is but if you have the car running and using special lead pliers you can pull off the lead and move it around to reproduce the misfire while the car is at idle.

Fellow Frogger!

Default 405 missfire?

Thanks for the suggestion, Jmancool. I'll stick my head under the bonnet in the dark tonight to see if I can find any leakage via the leads. I'm still not sure, because in my experience, leads usually break down under load, which is not my situation.

G'day, from my own experience and from what others have reported, if you have a coil pack fail you often have others go at about the same time. I had to replace two within weeks of each other.

Ralph
    Ralph
    '93 Mi16 serII EMI16

I have an 89 Mi16 which has very occasionally experienced similar symptons. Now I've been panned on the yahoo Mi16 group list for saying this, but all I can do is tell you what I have done. May help you, may not, but that is what this list is about.

All I've done is simply unplug the air flow meter box connecter, then reconnect it. I can't vouch for what has caused the problem, or what has fixed it. All I can say is that whenever I 've had those symptons, I've doen that and they've gone away.

And best of all, it's free.

Chris

David M.
    If problem doesn't appear when car is under load on uphills,,, then I'd take that to mean that plugs, leads and rest of ignition are ok.
    I would suspect that engine is being fed occassional spurts of fuel when throttle is light. may be injector not sealing properly and dribbling a bit.
    Will check manual and add to thread if get any brainwaves..

Also My similar model 405 played up on light throttles, and wouldnt idle smoothly when a wire broke to the MAP sensor which is attached to the rear of the top of the radiator, (there is also a hose that goes to drivers side end of engine.) It has three wires going to it in a loom that cops a bit of vibration from the motor.
    in fact check that all electrical and hose connections are secure to injection part of motor You may have to cut a little bit off the hose ends if they are a bit loose
    good luck
    Decca
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

Fellow Frogger!

Default 405 missfire?

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll track them down as best as I am able. To my mind it should be electrical as the temporary shutdown seems total and the car jerks and shudders throughout its frame. I would expect that fuel starvation would be a slower drop and rise in power?
    Last edited by David M; 11th January 2005 at 10:39 PM.

Thread Information